Waterbill explosion - what shall we do?

Munich

12 hours ago, uwe_rayong said:

That can not be a leaky toilet.

450,000 a month = 15,000 litres a day. That means each and every minute you would use more then 10 litres, 24 hours and 30 days.

If on one day your usage is 2 units and the other day 15 units I would assume the meter is the problem. If it is a leak, it should be similar usage every day.

No, that's 1500 litres per day and if a toilet outlet flap or float got caught up in the tank and the water free-flowed into the bowl, that's about 62L per hour or about 6 fills of an average toilet tank. The OP already mentioned that there wasn't a leaking toilet, but if there was, you could easily use this much water over 10 months.

Edited by tropo

15 hours ago, uwe_rayong said:

That can not be a leaky toilet.

450,000 a month = 15,000 litres a day. That means each and every minute you would use more then 10 litres, 24 hours and 30 days.

If on one day your usage is 2 units and the other day 15 units I would assume the meter is the problem. If it is a leak, it should be similar usage every day.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

No, that's 1500 litres per day and if a toilet outlet flap or float got caught up in the tank and the water free-flowed into the bowl, that's about 62L per hour or about 6 fills of an average toilet tank. The OP already mentioned that there wasn't a leaking toilet, but if there was, you could easily use this much water over 10 months.

Sorry Tropo - 450 units/month = 450,000 litres/m, which is it's 15,000 litres per day.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brayka said:

Neighbours had the same problem.

Seems to that other neighbours filled their thanks and spray the garden ....almost 8 months

ha.  A definitely possibility.  Do you have outside hose/water connections the neighbors could get their hands on?

I had the same problem once with my condo in LA. They sent me an electricity bill for roughly 36,000 US$ for one month. Normal was less than 200 bucks. My inquiries yielded nothing, but a comment that they would cut me off if I wouldn't pay up.

I called a TV station, the papers and radio stations and got them to interview me the next day on air. The TV announcer asked other residents to check their bills and hundreds of them called the company the next day to have their bills checked out in hope of a reduction. 3 days later the electric company sent me a corrcted invoice and a gift card for a local store, I think 500$.

5 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Sorry Tropo - 450 units/month = 450,000 litres/m, which is it's 15,000 litres per day.

Yes, my apologies, you are correct. I assumed the bill was for the 10 months they were away (which would still be huge), not for one month after they returned. You could fill about 1250 toilet bowls per day for that.

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

ha.  A definitely possibility.  Do you have outside hose/water connections the neighbors could get their hands on?

That would fill 15 x 1000L tanks per day or 450 for the month. You'd have to work really hard to steal that much water.

39 minutes ago, tropo said:

You'd have to work really hard to steal that much water.

The OP is away 10 months of the year.

It's really not hard work to pull up in a truck with a tanks on the back, connect up a couple hoses and sit back in a hammock until they are full.

See post 33 as example...

People will steal water, electric, fish from ponds, fruit from trees... It happens

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The OP is away 10 months of the year.

It's really not hard work to pull up in a truck with a tanks on the back, connect up a couple hoses and sit back in a hammock until they are full.

See post 33 as example...

People will steal water, electric, fish from ponds, fruit from trees... It happens

We're talking about 450,000L in a month, the month AFTER the OP returned, which would be 15 truckloads a day for a month as the small water trucks normally carry 1000L tanks. Added to that, at normal mains pressure it would take quite a long time to fill a 1000L tank, so yes, it's would be extremely difficult to steal that much water... dare I say impossible... and this would have had to go on under the OP's nose as he was living there for the full month of that huge water bill.

I misread the post, this is for the month that the OP was actually back at the property. Hence I deem the meter to be at fault or a misprinted bill. If the meter and the bill match then just a bad meter....
Case closed... next...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Sorry guys,

just saw that I didn`t tell you the end of the story.

1. I had to pay the bill, otherwise they would cut the water supply.  (I could not stop the bank transfer anyway, within a week)

2. 5 Guys came and could not find a proplem leak, defect water meter etc.

3. I insisted on changing the meter on my cost

4. No problem since then

Adds up to my overall picture of thai excellence

• Like 1

I thought you probably had a leak somewhere, if no leak was found I'd say possibly a meter issue but it maybe theft. You say you're away for many months at a time, Is someone stealing your water. Set up an Internet camera while you're away to monitor abroad. 

18 hours ago, Munich said:

Sorry guys,

1. I had to pay the bill, otherwise they would cut the water supply.  (I could not stop the bank transfer anyway, within a week)

4. No problem since then

TIT - can’t find a problem with the meter, then after changing it no problems... man that sucks. Total rip off. 

On 9/14/2018 at 10:31 AM, Munich said:

Sorry guys,

4. No problem since then

You still have the old meter? Did they take it to investigate? You go for refund now, as problem is now gone and you can prove !!??

On 5/22/2018 at 11:26 AM, johng said:

I would bet on toilet running constantly....but if your not there for 10 months why not turn off the stop valve at the meter....my next door neighbor does this religiously every day when he goes to work and back on again when home...why he doesn't fix his leaky toilet I dont know !

Always turn off water and electric when leaving for any length of time. The OP is lucky his property nor the property of his neighbours was damaged. 

On 9/14/2018 at 9:31 AM, Munich said:

Sorry guys,

4. No problem since then

Thai excellence or German efficiency? It is good practise to turn off water and electricity when leaving for any length of time. I thought everybody new that.  Not to do so is asking for trouble.

• Like 1