Guest houses must now get a hotel license--any info?

heybruce

From what I can see, the crackdowns have stopped, but the paperwork situation remains the same.

I heard as the above that people had gone to BKK met with people pretty high up and "promises to look into it" had been made. Personally I doubt anything will come of this.

Now we can sit and wait for the next fiasco which will be the land tax to be implemented in 2020. Logically , those fully registered will have to pay commercial rates and those without paperwork get away with not paying. Or do we simply sit back (as do most of my Thai friends) and say "change of govt by then , no problem".

You couldn't make this stuff up.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Reference has been made to a guesthouse owners association or group trying to work on this problem.  Anyone have any contact information on how to contact them?

I went to a couple of the meetings, out of interest. I didn't personally know the people organising it and not sure which guesthouse owners were at the forefront. All the meetings were at Wat Lamchang so they might have relevant info. I would imagine guesthouses close to Wat Lamchang might know who is in charge.

• 5 months later...

Anybody have any update on this topic??  I was told that this no nightly rentals by guesthouses was instituted by the previous Immigration Commander, known as Big Joke.  Other than myself and the condo doing nightly rentals on the west side of the city,  I don't know of anyone else abiding by this rule.  My question is, now that Mr. Big is no longer here, is this ruling still in place and being enforced? 

I have to tell you that it has seriously effected my business.  Guesthouses have been around in CM for what 50 - 75 years?  All of a sudden it was stated that they now needed a "Hotel License " .  The hotel requirements just do not fit with a guesthouse any more that a tractor trailer truck tires would fit on a moto. Any body know of guesthouses doing nightly rentals?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Gonzo

On 6/8/2019 at 5:12 AM, Gonzo the Face said:

Anybody have any update on this topic??  I was told that this no nightly rentals by guesthouses was instituted by the previous Immigration Commander, known as Big Joke.  Other than myself and the condo doing nightly rentals on the west side of the city,  I don't know of anyone else abiding by this rule.  My question is, now that Mr. Big is no longer here, is this ruling still in place and being enforced? 

I have to tell you that it has seriously effected my business.  Guesthouses have been around in CM for what 50 - 75 years?  All of a sudden it was stated that they now needed a "Hotel License " .  The hotel requirements just do not fit with a guesthouse any more that a tractor trailer truck tires would fit on a moto. Any body know of guesthouses doing nightly rentals?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Gonzo

A friend who ran a guesthouse had to change it into a 30 day rental place with only a handful of rooms available for daily rental.  She and her partner were trying hard to follow the new interpretation of the law.  Her business is almost completely empty, sometimes she'll have two or three rooms rented, sometimes none.

I don't know how or if other places are abiding by these new rules, or if they are being enforced.  I'm not in Chiang Mai now but I understand that tourism is way down. 

14 hours ago, heybruce said:

A friend who ran a guesthouse had to change it into a 30 day rental place with only a handful of rooms available for daily rental.  She and her partner were trying hard to follow the new interpretation of the law.  Her business is almost completely empty, sometimes she'll have two or three rooms rented, sometimes none.

I don't know how or if other places are abiding by these new rules, or if they are being enforced.  I'm not in Chiang Mai now but I understand that tourism is way down. 

That may be due to the well reported problem with smog due to burning.

Archived