CRF450L

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, piston broke said:

nice looking, but lot of money for a single.

Not if its priced at 250/275 K. But who knows whats going on with Honda lately. At 150 - 160 KG , and just 25 BHP ( 40 for the version we wont get ! ) this is not a "Dakar" bike , or indeed an adventure bike  , needing oil changes every 1,000 KM and valves done every 3,000 KM. I just cant figure out  what the point of this bike is. Spend 50 K on a CRF 250 L , and your almost there. Or just buy a Kawasaki KLX 250 , that is much lighter , already has twin radiators and adjustable suspension , and cheaper.

• Like 1

My opinion on the Honda 40 bhp version is that it’s a great bike but way way overpriced with a slightly annoying service intervals,,,I personally think Kawasaki is gonna come with something that may be an improvement over the Honda offering,I beleive kawa has a new 400 or 450 cc engine in the ninja 400 so it’s a waiting game to see what they bring.

For me I’m still happy with my crf 250l and don’t really have any plans to change it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Not if its priced at 250/275 K. But who knows whats going on with Honda lately. At 150 - 160 KG , and just 25 BHP ( 40 for the version we wont get ! ) this is not a "Dakar" bike , or indeed an adventure bike  , needing oil changes every 1,000 KM and valves done every 3,000 KM. I just cant figure out  what the point of this bike is. Spend 50 K on a CRF 250 L , and your almost there. Or just buy a Kawasaki KLX 250 , that is much lighter , already has twin radiators and adjustable suspension , and cheaper.

Not if it's for sale in the UK at a quite ridiculous 10,400 GBP..........

11 hours ago, taninthai said:

My opinion on the Honda 40 bhp version is that it’s a great bike but way way overpriced with a slightly annoying service intervals,,,I personally think Kawasaki is gonna come with something that may be an improvement over the Honda offering,I beleive kawa has a new 400 or 450 cc engine in the ninja 400 so it’s a waiting game to see what they bring.

For me I’m still happy with my crf 250l and don’t really have any plans to change it.

I have heard the KLR650 has finally died (been killed off) in the US market, a much loved and respected bike over there and a colossal seller over the decades.

There are rumours of a 450-500-550 FI replacement single which is highly anticipated over there.

I have my doubts whether Big Red will even market it here. No market for a road going MX bike with lights. This is a CR450X street legal with an extra piston ring.

If it is 250 - 275K ... you can buy a CB500x for half that second hand, and avoid the hit in buying the accessories like crash bars, luggage, etc.

Or buy a Versys and save 100K - same as above.

10 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I have my doubts whether Big Red will even market it here. No market for a road going MX bike with lights. This is a CR450X street legal with an extra piston ring.

If it is 250 - 275K ... you can buy a CB500x for half that second hand, and avoid the hit in buying the accessories like crash bars, luggage, etc.

Or buy a Versys and save 100K - same as above.

If it does come here think it will be same as current mx bikes here only available at Honda bigwing shops ,definitely can’t see it being available from all the smaller Honda dealers.

there is quite a big mx scene in Thailand but them guys will be buying proper mx bikes not this road going version.

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

If it does come here think it will be same as current mx bikes here only available at Honda bigwing shops ,definitely can’t see it being available from all the smaller Honda dealers.

there is quite a big mx scene in Thailand but them guys will be buying proper mx bikes not this road going version.

Yep, and I was told a 12 month lead time on a crf250r when I tried to buy one from BigWing a few months back. 

If it takes them 12 months to get the bike I’m guessing they’re not holding many spare parts in stock either.

It’s safe to stay Honda aren’t very serious about motocross bikes (or most high performance bikes) in Thailand. Even the cbr1000rr is restricted here, not that I’d buy one given that the R1 and gsxr1000 are far better bikes and available here unrestricted.

• Like 2

One of the first test reviews in U.K.,guy has a crf 250l rally and a Africa twin ,he talks of 25 bhp????????????????????????????????

love one of the comments”my crf 250l with bigbore kit makes more power”

he is still taking info from spec sheet,but I would think his seat of the pants Dyno would feel any power difference between this and his 250 rally...lol..so it llooks like just a little more torque and same power as 250 version????????????

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

The Euro version , which we will get in England and Thailand , has 25 BHP , as you say , but with a little more torque. Disappointing he says he kept on stalling it trying to ride it out of the carpark , and it requires much clutch slip and revs. For a 70 BHP motocross bike , yes , but not a 25 BHP dual sport. This bike seems neither rider friendly , green-lane suitable or powerfull. The suspension seems good , and pretty much everything else too. So we have a 135,000 Baht CRF 250 , with adjustable suspension , a few more modern touches , and a few less KG,s. Lets wait and see what Honda try to charge for it. Such a shame Honda has wasted this opportunity by bringing out a bike that doesnt seem to "be" anything. Lets hope Kawasaki and Yamaha dont get put off when this thing bombs , and they decide to bring out decent powered bikes. They are more than capable.

^

a little carried away with the Honda bashing as always,,,,,,,,,yes the euro version may be ridiculously underpowered but full power version fine just way way overpriced.....think he mentioned £9500 gbp????????

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, taninthai said:

^

a little carried away with the Honda bashing as always,,,,,,,,,yes the euro version may be ridiculously underpowered but full power version fine just way way overpriced.....think he mentioned £9500 gbp????????

Read what i wrote again. I said its a good bike - like a CRF 250 with some improvements. Thats not "bashing". IF it was available with 45 BHP - which its not - and priced well , i would be interested , as i guess many would be. But its not. Thats a fact. I just dont see the point of this bike in 25 BHP form , when a modified CRF / KLX could be just as useable.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 1:23 AM, canthai55 said:

This just posted on a dedicated forum ...

"It has been posted the AU models,apparently the same as the EU models have a kit, which is the US model ECU and remove the intake baffle."

https://www.motoonline.com.au/2018/10/18/2019-honda-crf450l-review/

So 25 to 40 HP is easy

You might have killed the thread with this positive info....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd be very surprised if this bike was released in Thailand - I'd love it if that happened though. That said, I don't really understand what all the drama is about, regarding performance and price.

From what I can gather the engine (despite being heavily restricted) seems exceptionally close to the CRF450R and this is a very, very, good thing (unlike the 250L which has no connection to the MX bike). If people can get 60 ponies out of a DRZ400 I really can't see it being that hard to get this bike to do much better (voiding warranty etc. of course).

Anyway, lots of interesting discussion here.... but as someone who has streeted a CRF450R, I can say that the L would have been a much cheaper option....not to mention having much better electrics / subframe / NVH / maint. / gearbox / controls / yadda yadda...

As far as price goes - if we use the US as a base:

CRF450R $9,150

CRF450L $10,399 (+$1,249) 

While I appreciate that the L is not the 'same' bike out of the box as the R, that is a pretty small increment to pay for getting a road-legal 'almost' MX bike (despite obviously being heavily restricted).

For reference, I spent about 200k getting my CRF450R street-able from pure dirt trim. (and I probably spent 20-30k on 17"s and tyres??)

^  This is what people cant understand. Why does it only have 25 bhp , when a DRZ , from the nineties , has so much more ( a very under-rated bike ) . If its priced at 300 K , or maybe up to 350 K , then it may sell in small numbers , but only if someone buys one ,  and proves on a dyno , a simple ECU and exhaust change gives it back the robbed power. It will still be way below your DRZ and 450 R , but 40 bhp is ok. But can this lost power be found . Warranty will be void. Some will take the chance , some wont.

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

^  This is what people cant understand. Why does it only have 25 bhp , when a DRZ , from the nineties , has so much more ( a very under-rated bike ) . If its priced at 300 K , or maybe up to 350 K , then it may sell in small numbers , but only if someone buys one ,  and proves on a dyno , a simple ECU and exhaust change gives it back the robbed power. It will still be way below your DRZ and 450 R , but 40 bhp is ok. But can this lost power be found . Warranty will be void. Some will take the chance , some wont.

True, but in theory, (and from what I've tried to gather about the bike) there would be nothing stopping you from changing piston/valves/cam etc. to 450R and you would beat the DRZ on power easily (not that it's a mean feat)....not to mention handling and so on.

I'd be very surprised if this bike wasn't pretty easy to uncork....it's just a single cycl, single cam etc....not that much to them really. 

^.  I see what you are saying , but changing the piston , cam etc , wont do any favours to the service intervals. At 1,000 KM already , some people are concerned about them.  Yes , i know thats good compared to a 70 BHP moto-crosser. Hats off to you for putting a 450 R on the road. I have a 500cc 2-stroke KTM on a "Q" plate in England , he he. I think the basic engine specs of this L model - heavier crank etc - are sensible for most people but can anyone 100% confirm the differences between the standard model , and the low power EU model. I remember people buying Honda Fireblades a few years ago , in Thailand , and were very angry they were sold restricted 130 BHP versions without being told , when all the Kawasaki,s , Yamaha,s etc had 180 BHP. Some poor sods spent over 200,000 trying to bring them up to power. It wasnt just an exhaust , ECU , cams , injectors and throttle bodies. Dont think they ever got those bikes right. This 450 is a simpler engine , but id like to see a before and after dyno charts before paying out. If the price of the EU restricted bike is right , and its an easy ECU job , this bike could be just what some people have being waiting for.

Edited by ktm jeff

13 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

when a DRZ , from the nineties , has so much more ( a very under-rated bike )

One word.

Repeated often like a mantra.

Emissions Emissions Emissions.

Euro 3

Euro 4

and soon to be the dreaded Euro 5.

Same as the 2011-2015 Ducati 796 Monster and current 797 Monster. Both have the identical 803cc air cooled twin, same valve sizes, cam timing, CR etc.

One has 87 bhp and one has 74 bhp.

Differences being airbox, throttle bodies and ECU.

Only.

Emissions emissions emissions.........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Hear Ya - this really gets my goat.

Read a report from the USA years ago when CATS were being installed on cars.

The coal fired power plants put out more pollution in the USA in one day than ALL the Vehicles - cars, light, medium, heavy trucks, motorcycles do in one year in the whole of N. America

But do those 'kin guys have to clean up their act ? Hell No !

Here it's even better! They have laws which the manufacturers have to follow but then zero enforcement which means dark smoke spewing diesel trucks everywhere AND people burn shit like plastic and whole farm fields all the time nearly everywhere. So in the end the people get all the negatives (more expensive and shittier bikes, huge amount of pollution) and none of the benefits. Yey!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hahahhahaha for close to 300.000.-Baht HONDA can keep it and it will FOR SURE NOT sell sell like hot cakes in the expat community, as someone here wrote earlier... Lets be honest, most in Expat community are overweighted dudes in their late 50s or even 60s and they will for sure not doing the things this bike is made for!

NO Sirs, thats a nice bike for yuppies with pockets full of money and enough time spending in garages. What HONDA should bring to the market here in Asia is a 500er Enduro or ok a 450cc Enduro with a price much closer to the CRF250L or CB500X, 
specially since most of our Expat community here is whining anyways about the exchange rates of Euro-Pound and USDollars dropping constantly

I am loving my CRFs, ride a 250L since 2012 and bought the Rally a year ago and just sold her because too heavy and underpowered. Nice bike anyways but just not what i need,
The CRF 250 L is 135.000.-Baht at the Honda dealers here, not 150.000.-B  the new CB500X  2019model is 220.000 and if you pay her cash you get stuff for another 10k from your friendly HONDA dealer (no idea of HONDA BIG WING PHUKET) so forget  the 450L and buy a bike you are happy with if you are older than 25 and rich ????????????

If it's the full power version then I don't think 300,000 Baht is bad at all, in fact it's pretty good, it's more than that in the UK and the US.

If it's the 24 hp restricted version then it's a complete waste of money as you may as well get the 250L. And knowing Honda Thailand they will offer the worst possible version available, like they do with the Fireblade etc. 

As for service intervals, unless you're touring on it (why would you?) then I don't see it as a massive issue. Let's remember it's primarily an enduro bike that can go on the road to get you between the trails. Let's say you do 3,000 kms a year on it, that's an oil change every 4 months (10 minute job) and a trip to the dealer once a year. For comparison, my KX250F needs an oil change every 5 hours so every 1000 kms whilst not ideal, is manageable if you are using it for what it is intended for. If you're mainly touring or commuting you should really buy something like a CB500X.