CRF450L

10 hours ago, Neilly said:

Just had to look that up as I hadn't heard about it before...looks the part.

I had an XL500 (cantankerous f'in thing) and then an XR350 that I loved 

The SL range was a thing of beauty.

Petrol tanks and the paint jobs on said tanks.

14 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

It costs 340K in America , once import charges etc are paid.  As there are now no more import taxes from Japan to Thailand , as far as i know , i would expect / hope the price will be similar.  Unless Honda tries it on.

Typically, imported Honda "big bikes" in Thailand are at least 10% more than the RRP in America (the Africa Twin was more like 20% more). So 380k might be about right, but knowing Honda Thailand they'll round it up to 399k and bring it here 6 months after they are 100% sure that every other country in the world has received it's quota. 

• Like 2

I thought it was priced 10% more than USA before , due to the import taxes. Does it not drop to zero for the 2019 cars and bikes - i may be wrong. Too much above 340/350K will reduce its market. Does look good though.

16 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

I thought it was priced 10% more than USA before , due to the import taxes. Does it not drop to zero for the 2019 cars and bikes - i may be wrong. Too much above 340/350K will reduce its market. Does look good though.

Honda doesn't have a reason to make it cheaper, there is no competition. Same with the Africa Twin, the competitors from BMW and Triumph cost more than the Africa Twin, so Honda doesn't see a reason to reduce the price. If the CRF450L is the only bike of this kind on the Thai market (if it comes) they can price it like they want (with limitations of course...). If you want such a bike you have to pay it. And somebody who can afford 340k for a new bike can also afford 420k

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Honda doesn't have a reason to make it cheaper, there is no competition. Same with the Africa Twin, the competitors from BMW and Triumph cost more than the Africa Twin, so Honda doesn't see a reason to reduce the price. If the CRF450L is the only bike of this kind on the Thai market (if it comes) they can price it like they want (with limitations of course...). If you want such a bike you have to pay it. And somebody who can afford 340k for a new bike can also afford 420k

Exactly. Why pass the saving on to the customer when you can pocket it yourself as pure profit? All the Jap brands seem to do it so I'm guessing there's some kind of informal agreement between the big 4 that they leave the prices the same. Euro bikes like BMW/KTM/Husqvarna can't compete on price due to the import taxes so they have a nice little monopoly. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

If they price it at 450K plus.  Husqvarna Fe350 or 450 here I come!

I would love it if they sell for around the 350k range but I just don't see it happening unfortunately.

To be perfectly honest, I seriously doubt they will be offered through big wing. Hope I'm wrong though!

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, claynlr said:

My first was a SL175...same year! Yes..fun!!

My brother had to quit motocross racing because of insurance issues.  He and a buddy bought Honda TL125 trials bikes around 1973.  They had a lot of fun on them.

c0153655_2372914.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like Honda has stopped selling the CRF250R. It was on the website a couple of weeks ago for 285,000 Baht but it's gone now and when I enquired directly they confirmed they don't sell it.

Not sure what that means for the CRF450L but I'd say it probably indicates they weren't selling many sensibly priced 250's so it probably does't bode well for releasing a somewhat overpriced 450.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, jackdd said:

Maybe the Thai version comes with shortened suspension ?

Yeah, and probably 2/3 of the power at 4/3 of the price knowing Honda Thailand.

The latest review I saw on Youtube (the RacerX one) stated that HP was over 40 on US models. They said the claim of 25hp during the release was a mistake and maybe linked to Euro4, but typically Euro4 doesn't rob that much power so who knows? Maybe they dynoed one of the Honda BigWing "special Japan spec" models ?.

I went into BigWing the other day to try and put a deposit on a CRF250R (not the 250L). It had disappeared from their website but I figured they might make an effort to get one for me if I went into the shop in person. They told me they could order one, but the lead time was 12 months!!! Jesus Wept. Bigwing keep outdoing themselves.

• Like 2

If the hp is 40 or more that leaves the two other big turnoffs, weight and price. 

Over the years I have noticed it's hard to find dealers stocking 250L parts and several don't even sell the bike anymore. It's really a limited market for this bike and the 450L will probably be even smaller. I wouldn't be surprised if it never makes it to the show room floor here. 

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

They said the claim of 25hp during the release was a mistake and maybe linked to Euro4, but typically Euro4 doesn't rob that much power so who knows? 

I went into BigWing the other day to try and put a deposit on a CRF250R , but the lead time was 12 months!!! Jesus Wept. Bigwing keep outdoing themselves.

It looks like Euro4 does rob that much power...according to this UK release it only has 18.4kW (24.67bhp) ?

https://www.doble.co.uk/newsitem/41107/crf450l-specification.aspx

And as for the CRF250L and a 12 months lead time that is just beyond belief!

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

If the hp is 40 or more that leaves the two other big turnoffs, weight and price. 

Over the years I have noticed it's hard to find dealers stocking 250L parts and several don't even sell the bike anymore. It's really a limited market for this bike and the 450L will probably be even smaller. I wouldn't be surprised if it never makes it to the show room floor here. 

'If' it comes (which I also doubt) I think we'll get the strangled version...not too worried about the weight as I read a load of releases yesterday and that hardly got a mention...but the power and price would be the killer for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Disagree with the above post - not with top end inspection, service & removal every 600 hours it aint.

And just to put people further off this bike -

MCN in the UK just tested the bike, it is ready for release in the UK market at a paltry figure of 9,499 GBP inc taxes and ready for the road.

That's 9 and a half thousand quid kiddies....

What's that gonna be in Thailand?

400k?

450k?

500k?

More?

You want the perfect dualie for SE Asia, you just gotta wait till Yamaha bring the T7 out next year guys & gals....

• Like 1

I really can't see this selling in any considerable quantity that would make sense in EU. Nearly 11k Euros and 25HP. I think that Honda didn't care much about that market when developing the bike, probably a US focused model as dual sports are quite popular there and they can bring it without crazy power restrictions.

23 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I really can't see this selling in any considerable quantity that would make sense in EU. Nearly 11k Euros and 25HP. I think that Honda didn't care much about that market when developing the bike, probably a US focused model as dual sports are quite popular there and they can bring it without crazy power restrictions.

No, the 25 bhp is a mistake, they pretty much all got around 40 odd. The price of near 10k $ in the States, 9.5k GBP in the UK and nearly 11k in Euros is not a mistake.

On 9/19/2018 at 9:19 PM, ktm jeff said:

I can't believe they could create a 24 BHP,  130 KG bike,   and claim it's based on their motorcrosser. So it's basically a CRF 250 L with adjustable suspension. And I bet the dealers will ask north of 250 K. If it ever comes here.

They haven’t made it yet so you don’t need to believe it.

The reviews I’ve read it does seem like a decent bike that is more than capable but as two others above has stated cost and maintenance is the killer,,,,,,it’s one of them things if you can afford more than one bike this one would be nice to add to your collection.

Edited by taninthai

28 minutes ago, taninthai said:

The reviews I’ve read it does seem like a decent bike that is more than capable but as two others above has stated cost and maintenance is the killer,,,,,,it’s one of them things if you can afford more than one bike this one would be nice to add to your collection.

Yabbut, 10k money or 400+k TB is getting into Beta/Husky territory, and both bikes will eat a Honda for breakfast. In EVERY dept.

• Like 1