CRF450L

Definitely not gonna be 35 bhp piece of junk ,I think it will be quite well specced and built bike,but think this will push the price pretty high....personally if it’s priced up around 350k I would rather buy 2 nd hand Ducati supermotard?

4 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Definitely not gonna be 35 bhp piece of junk ,I think it will be quite well specced and built bike,but think this will push the price pretty high....personally if it’s priced up around 350k I would rather buy 2 nd hand Ducati supermotard?

Maybe you didn't understand the meaning of 'piece of junk' in my post, quality is Honda, indeed it is, yet tell me what will be the use for a CRF450L in this country... Top speed will be 130-135km/h (250 does almost the same) vibrations on the CRF are huge, the bike is far from be comfortable for a 50-60km trip and for do a trip like this you need to stop 3 times at the gas station. I think that the bike is useless as any racebike conversion to a street use, plus for the same price (I'm saying 230k tops if it's produced in Thailand) there are better options.

• Haha 1

Peak power for the 2019 CRF450L comes in at 25 HP (18.4kW), with a peak torque rating of 23.6 ft/lb TQ (32Nm). Important from the hobby trail-rider’s perspective is the engine’s reliability and gap between service intervals. And this is where the CRF450L’s build quality and design really stands out; it will go 20,000 miles (32,000km) between major strip downs, with an air filter oil and oil filter change every 620 miles (1000km).

Pathetic power and frequent service. Both of these say spend 400K on something else. 

4 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Peak power for the 2019 CRF450L comes in at 25 HP (18.4kW), with a peak torque rating of 23.6 ft/lb TQ (32Nm). Important from the hobby trail-rider’s perspective is the engine’s reliability and gap between service intervals. And this is where the CRF450L’s build quality and design really stands out; it will go 20,000 miles (32,000km) between major strip downs, with an air filter oil and oil filter change every 620 miles (1000km).

Pathetic power and frequent service. Both of these say spend 400K on something else. 

Stallions CT400 Scrambler got 29hp I was guessing for the 35hp of the CRF...

The CRF250L makes nearly 25HP, how could  the 450cc that does 60HP in the R model make the same power? And air/oil filter + oil changes every 1000km are also highly unlikely. I call BS on those numbers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

The CRF250L makes nearly 25HP, how could  the 450cc that does 60HP in the R model make the same power? And air/oil filter + oil changes every 1000km are also highly unlikely. I call BS on those numbers.

Totally agree. I don't see any official Honda specs on HP so I'm not sure how a magazine already managed to get HP for a bike that was announced yesterday. No doubt it has less than a CRF450R but not 60% less. I call BS also. Minimum 40HP I reckon (most likely a bit more) which doesn't sound a lot until you see how light they are, how they are geared and where they are designed to be ridden (i.e. NOT cruising down the highway with a passenger and a topbox).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, eisfeld said:

The R/RX versions are spec'd at 60hp, one would hope they didn't tune it down much for the L version. That's 20% more HP from a 450cc thumper than their 470cc twin in the 500 series.

At the same level of "tune" as the 250 L , this bike should have 54 BHP. Hopefully they tune it for torque and leave it with 50 BHP

• Like 2

This engine is closer to the 450 X / R , so 32000 KM rebuilds is to be expected at this level of tune , and fine. 45 BHP would be fine if it has decent torque. No low power PLEASE Honda. Suspension isnt fully adjustable , but Showa should be better than the poor 250 springs. Smallish fuel tank of 7.6 liters , and i doubht there will be an aftermarket Accerbis version as the high pressure fuel pump is built into the tank and its a very complex moulding. Even so , im guessing 70/80 KM of trail use between fuel stops. Could do with 10 liters. The rear sub-frame is said to be the same as the X version. I hope not. It needs to be able to handle a rack , with decent weight capacity. Not the daft 4.5 KG of the 250. Now the price. Lets wait and see. I might be going red. Havent since my XR 650 R.

28 minutes ago, connda said:

Compared to the US, motorcycles here are insanely over-priced. 

Imported products are overpriced in Thailand, not limited to motorbikes ?

But the small locally made bikes are way cheaper than outside of Thailand and the bigger locally made bikes cost about the same

Edited by jackdd

If the CRF450L is built in Japan and not in Thailand which as we know would keep the price down, then according to the JTEPA agreement should not incur an import tariff?.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan–Thailand_Economic_Partnership_Agreement

There was also an article in the BKK Post dated 10th July 2017 which I believe I cannot post here,

The headline was Gearing up for the Big-Bike Challenge. 

And I don't have a clue why my text turned red..? ???

10 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

If the CRF450L is built in Japan and not in Thailand which as we know would keep the price down, then according to the JTEPA agreement should not incur an import tariff?.

There was also an article in the BKK Post dated 10th July 2017 which I believe I cannot post here,

Nice one. So unless Honda try to rip us of with price gouging , it should be 310 - 330 K. 

20 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

I don't know how they calculate their prices, but what i know is that the Africa Twin is made in Japan, in Japan they sell it for 413k THB, and in Thailand for 550kTHB

So in Thailand about 33% more expensive, i don't think that that's only the shipping cost

Edited by jackdd

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Totally agree. I don't see any official Honda specs on HP so I'm not sure how a magazine already managed to get HP for a bike that was announced yesterday. No doubt it has less than a CRF450R but not 60% less. I call BS also. Minimum 40HP I reckon (most likely a bit more) which doesn't sound a lot until you see how light they are, how they are geared and where they are designed to be ridden (i.e. NOT cruising down the highway with a passenger and a topbox).

The DRZ 400 Suzuki (water cooled, carb, DOHC) which has been around since the arc has/had 40 bhp....

And that is a m/c that will do 5000 kms between oil changes and go round the clock if looked after without lifting the top end...

I recommend a Reading Comprehension course for some posters - or click on the links -

Front Suspension

49mm leading-axle inverted telescopic Showa coil-spring fork with rebound and compression damping adjustability

Rear Suspension

Pro-Link Showa single shock with adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability

And where are you all getting HP figures from ? - Crystal Ball ? - none published I can see

My CRF250 has 24 HP - and it vibrates very little. Even after 10 K

28 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I don't know how they calculate their prices, but what i know is that the Africa Twin is made in Japan, in Japan they sell it for 413k THB, and in Thailand for 550kTHB

So in Thailand about 33% more expensive, i don't think that that's only the shipping cost

Maybe that's the Thai importer being greedy with his 'cut'. I wonder if building up a rapport with a dealer one could maybe pay the shipping and an agreed 'cut' on top ?

40 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

Nice one. So unless Honda try to rip us of with price gouging , it should be 310 - 330 K. 

You would think so reading into the agreement and if everyone is playing ball.

8 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

Maybe that's the Thai importer being greedy with his 'cut'. I wonder if building up a rapport with a dealer one could maybe pay the shipping and an agreed 'cut' on top ?

Probably be exclusively for sale at Honda bigwing at a set price

I don't think a small dealer will be allowed to import one for you and undercut bigwing

Of course, you may still get someone like the red baron to get you one from USA etc but if you want a book and a plate it will be expensive and time consuming 

16 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Probably be exclusively for sale at Honda bigwing at a set price

I don't think a small dealer will be allowed to import one for you and undercut bigwing

Of course, you may still get someone like the red baron to get you one from USA etc but if you want a book and a plate it will be expensive and time consuming 

Im in the city next week, Rayong, i'll pop into BigWing and ask them if they have prices yet.

I'd be surprised if they knew prices or even when the bike will come here. For the CB1000R they got prices about half a year after the bike was announced and takes even longer for deliveries.

6 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

Im in the city next week, Rayong, i'll pop into BigWing and ask them if they have prices yet.

About the CRF450L? I would be surprised if they even know what bike this is ?

If this bike comes to Thailand we will see it at the Bangkok Motorshow 2019, this is also when a price would be announced.

I'm currently interested in the Africa Twin, so i got a bit of insight how Honda handles it.

Honda is importing the bikes centralized and distributes it to the Honda Big Wing shops. The shops have priorities, if a shop has a higher priority it will get the bikes earlier.

Generally the information that the shops get is very vague.

The new Africa Twin will probably be available in June, but could also be July. The Honda Big Wing shops don't know a date yet, even though it's there in a few weeks.

They also don't know the price for sure yet, the standard model will probably have the same price as the old models, the Adventure Sports model will probably have the price which they announced at the Bangkok Motorshow this year, but this is not 100% set, the price can still change.

The new model is also not listed on the Honda Thailand Page yet

The horsepower rating below is not a typo on my end. The 2019 CRF450L horsepower and torque numbers are directly from Honda.

2019 CRF450L Horsepower: 25 HP

2019 CRF450L Torque: 23.6 ft/lb TQ

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2019-honda-crf450l-review-specs-motorcycle-dual-sport

If this turns out to be true, you are paying twice the price as for a 250L - in the USA - for 12 kg less weight and 1 more HP.

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

I hope they are going to sell them here for a price around 330K. With another exhaust and some engine tuning you should be able to get some more horses fairly easy. This engine is a bit restricted due to Euro4 regulations and durability. 

Sadly, the engine’s had a bit of a caning to meet Euro4 regs, and stand up to possible road abuse. We doubt many folk would sit on the motorway at 90mph for hours on end on one of these, but Honda has to bear that possibility in mind – so the two-ring racing piston is replaced with a longer-life three-ringer, compression is down to 12:1 from 13.5:1, cam timing is softer, crank is heavier, and you get a six-speed gearbox instead of five. And, of course, there’s a huge silencer and catalysed exhaust on there too, the radiator is larger, it gets a fan, etc etc etc.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/hondas-new-road-legal-crf450l-enduro

Edited by Nickymaster

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

The horsepower rating below is not a typo on my end. The 2019 CRF450L horsepower and torque numbers are directly from Honda.

2019 CRF450L Horsepower: 25 HP

2019 CRF450L Torque: 23.6 ft/lb TQ

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2019-honda-crf450l-review-specs-motorcycle-dual-sport

If this turns out to be true, you are paying twice the price as for a 250L - in the USA - for 12 kg less weight and 1 more HP.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

If the above is true - you just gotta love The Big Red.... not....

Hand gun. Foot. Aim. Fire.

The Corporate Honda does it again...

Just realized, that's similar bhp and less torque than an air cooled 2V EFI 500 Enfield Bullet...

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Edited by thaiguzzi
  • Like 1