CRF450L

My oh my....if this appears in Thailand I expect it to sell like hot cakes in the expat community.

I've been ranting on for ages about Honda bring out one here. Hopefully they will bring out a road version like the CRF250M as well.

Although I have been looking at the Suzuki DRZ400SM for a while, this would definitely change my focus in Thailand.

Maybe something to look forward to for my return in a year or so.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I cannot understand lusting after something that is not either made or available here.  Thinking global is OK but eventually the reality of buying local sinks in.

Are you sure it won't be sold here? Honda BigWing already sells loads of models that aren't made here, including the CRF250R for 285,000 Baht. I'm not saying it will definitely be sold here, but it's a strong possibility. 

• Like 1

Nice one Honda. Lets hope it proves worth the wait , and coming to Thailand. If its shipped to the USA for 310 K , then it should be no more than 350 K , if the 250 R is 285 K. Having twin radiators will sort the heat problem of the CRF L out. with the engine loosely based on the X/R version , that should be OK. Im assuming fully adjustable suspension , with decent fork seals.131 KG is good , but the 7.5 L tank will severely limit its range off-road.                 

• Like 1

I wonder how much power? 45-50hp?

Nice bike if you go a lot off-road and perhaps a little trip to Laos.

Boy 130kg!! you could turn it into a nice little supermoto and spend most of the time on the rear wheel only, he-he.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I wonder how much power? 45-50hp?

The R/RX versions are spec'd at 60hp, one would hope they didn't tune it down much for the L version. That's 20% more HP from a 450cc thumper than their 470cc twin in the 500 series.

15 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

My oh my....if this appears in Thailand I expect it to sell like hot cakes in the expat community.

I doubt it, unless they produce it in Thailand

In the article they mention a price of 10399USD. An Africa Twin has a retail price in the USA of 13499USD

In Thailand they sell the Africa Twin for 550k THB, so we can expect a price of about 420k THB for the CRF450L in Thailand (if not produced locally)

For sure it's a nice off road bike, but there are only few people who would spend 420k THB on it in Thailand.

There's 20,000 miles (32,000 km) between major strip-downs, partially due to the L running three piston rings instead of the R's one. Mind you, don't expect this thing to act like a touring bike. The 450R needs an oil change every five hours of use, so even if the 450L manages to triple that you'll still be putting oil in it frequently if you try to rack up miles.

https://newatlas.com/honda-crf450l-road-legal-motocross/54751/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-05-24 143712 USA Daily Basic 2018-05-24 144706 Ferrari unveils achingly gorgeous one-off SP38&utm_content=2018-05-24 143712 USA Daily Basic 2018-05-24 144706 Ferrari unveils achingly gorgeous one-off SP38+CID_c4efe4165a75005920247f6567198b97&utm_source=Campaign Monitor&utm_term=Read more

canthai55 said it all and i dont know how to delete the freakin post!555

I was also all hyped up thinking it would be a powerful low maintanance dual sport,but it isnt

Edited by nikotin

I wouldn't be surprised we don't get it here. Really, how many Thais even buy the CRF250L for 140K. They ain't going to pay 400K for a 450cc and it's still too tall for them. Very limited market here. 

So, I could cut my nads off and sell them.  That would effectively lower the seat height a few inches and offset the purchase price.  I could further offset the price by long-term fuel savings because I wouldn't have the balls to ride it hard or very far.  That would save a lot on periodic repairs and rebuilds.  Sounds like a weiner to me.

• Haha 1

Indeed. Maintenance/service schedules will be the biggie.

I guarantee that if the thing is knocking out 60 bhp, the schedule will be in hours rather than 1000's kms.

That aint for me.

Plus I prefer the XR650L anyway....

Air cooled, carb, same weight, indestructible, been made for nearly 3 decades, nada yada bada da bing…

There's one on B&S right now for 200k with a book, i'm sorely tempted.

4 hours ago, inThailand said:

I wouldn't be surprised we don't get it here. Really, how many Thais even buy the CRF250L for 140K. They ain't going to pay 400K for a 450cc and it's still too tall for them. Very limited market here. 

when papa goes to enduro event,

CRF250 is the most popular bike among the Thai riders.

Many would choose KTM or Husqvarna  before Yamaha

for B400K+.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

There is still rumours of a 700/800 cc Africa twin coming,,but can’t see it myself.

This will probably not happen. If you look at all the other similar adventure bikes the AT is already compareable to the lower end of these, like the BMW F850GS or Triumph Tiger 800 XCA (All three have for example 95HP)

But next year there will be a Yamaha Tenere 700, which i would expect to see in Thailand

• Like 2