A few questions about buying a new BMW in Thailand

Where did you pull that number from, never mind I think we know ha ha. You need to do a little research. Customs might auction off a brand new illegally imported Ferrari. And then the highest bid is just a few hundred thousand baht because "oddly" there was only 1 bidder that was interested. So in response to this loophole they sometimes crunch imported exotic cars rather than auctioning them. But still avenues exist (look at crackdowns in the news) and it is plain to see smart buyers get new cars at very reasonable prices.

It wasn't that long ago I carried computer hardware to Thailand because it seemed everything cost 3x more here than the US. Thankfully those days are over and prices are often pretty close. I hope cars will one day be competitively priced and this nonsense ends. The middle class will flourish. A BMW should not be taxed such that it is exclusively a car for a rich kid, especially when he just went around the taxes intended for him and got it through other channels. The whole thing has been a failure hurting the middle class while benefiting the rich.

So if the legal import price is 3 times, what is the grey market price?

I’m not talking about confiscated cars that get auctioned off when only customs officers are invited to bid.

Luxury & sport cars carry luxury prices. Plenty of fairly priced models on the market for the “middle” class.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, canopy said:

Where did you pull that number from, never mind I think we know ha ha. You need to do a little research. Customs might auction off a brand new illegally imported Ferrari. And then the highest bid is just a few hundred thousand baht because "oddly" there was only 1 bidder that was interested. So in response to this loophole they sometimes crunch imported exotic cars rather than auctioning them. But still avenues exist (look at crackdowns in the news) and it is plain to see smart buyers get new cars at very reasonable prices.

It wasn't that long ago I carried computer hardware to Thailand because it seemed everything cost 3x more here than the US. Thankfully those days are over and prices are often pretty close. I hope cars will one day be competitively priced and this nonsense ends. The middle class will flourish. A BMW should not be taxed such that it is exclusively a car for a rich kid, especially when he just went around the taxes intended for him and got it through other channels. The whole thing has been a failure hurting the middle class while benefiting the rich.

Im just no smart old man, i buy it,enjoy, dont worry, and buy another legaly.

unnamed (7).jpg

I hope in the future BMWs can be accessible to more people like yourself.

I would like nice cars to be the same price as cars in the US but they are not.

They use the import duty to help develop auto production in Thailand, and the auto sector is booming.

They use the excise tax to generate revenue and to push people into smaller vehicles.

It works for them, so it is not likely they will change it.

How many automakers left in Australia?

I’m too old for a sports car and I’d rather drive a pickup or SUV than a sedan anyway. The ‘tuna is a decent value.

11 hours ago, canopy said:

It's why there is a vibrant grey import market in Thailand where the smart people bypass having to pay 3 times the cost of how much the car was supposed to cost. Sometimes there are crackdowns and MB for one has threatened to stop servicing vehicles brought in this way.

Why did you alter my comment by adding something that I did not write in that comment?  Forum rules do not allow that.

11 hours ago, canopy said:
  On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, Just Weird said:

What is the relevance of any of that? (three times more expensive than the same car in the US)

I did not alter what you said--not one word. Now if you used a word like appended instead of altered I would agree. Like "why did you append that bit after my quote?". But then of course it's a silly, self answered question because everyone can see why. It's common in journalism if a clarification to what someone said is needed is to put it in the quote with brackets. But on this board brackets are interpreted as formatting characters so I substituted parenthesis to assure it was delineated as not part of your quote. There are other ways that could have been used, but the quote function is ideal because the magic of the board software tells people when they are quoted since it is probably something they will want to read more about. In this case, answers to a question you raised.

By the way you've been quiet since raising the question about the relevance cars costing 3x that of the US. Do you feel it has been answered or have anything useful to add?

2 hours ago, canopy said:

I did not alter what you said--not one word. Now if you used a word like appended instead of altered I would agree. Like "why did you append that bit after my quote?". But then of course it's a silly, self answered question because everyone can see why. It's common in journalism if a clarification to what someone said is needed is to put it in the quote with brackets. But on this board brackets are interpreted as formatting characters so I substituted parenthesis to assure it was delineated as not part of your quote. There are other ways that could have been used, but the quote function is ideal because the magic of the board software tells people when they are quoted since it is probably something they will want to read more about. In this case, answers to a question you raised.

By the way you've been quiet since raising the question about the relevance cars costing 3x that of the US. Do you feel it has been answered or have anything useful to add?

Proof that this pair of chumps will remain on Mopeds.

That is really funny and I'll tell you why. BMW has made some great cars and I for one have had the pleasure of ownership. And I love seeing other people's BMWs more than any other marque and am in ownership circles. However, I have never met a BMW owner like you who is demeaning and rude to others because you THINK they can't afford them as somehow being beneath you. I hope I never have to meet you. Your lesson for today is just because someone has the money to buy something doesn't mean they are necessarily willing to pay the asking price. Things like value for money and favorable deals sometimes enters the equation. There is a lot of excellent content in this thread. I hope you can contribute better quality posts than that.

14 minutes ago, canopy said:

That is really funny and I'll tell you why. BMW has made some great cars and I for one have had the pleasure of ownership. And I love seeing other people's BMWs more than any other marque and am in ownership circles. However, I have never met a BMW owner like you who is demeaning and rude to others because you THINK they can't afford them as somehow being beneath you. I hope I never have to meet you. Your lesson for today is just because someone has the money to buy something doesn't mean they are necessarily willing to pay the asking price. Things like value for money and favorable deals sometimes enters the equation. There is a lot of excellent content in this thread. I hope you can contribute better quality posts than that.

No intention whatsoever, i shoot from the hip, i stick to my remark.2 Kids  "Teachers .?"bickering over words.!!

However, I have never met a BMW owner like you who is demeaning and rude to others because you THINK they can't afford them as somehow being beneath you.

While I agree dude’s an a-hole, did you not make a snippy comment to me implying I was not able to afford a BMW?

9 minutes ago, mogandave said:

While I agree dude’s an a-hole, did you not make a snippy comment to me implying I was not able to afford a BMW?

Quite possibly, a snippy comment livens the posts up,  i get a few but like most here dont give a rats bum.Its a time passer, fun, all detailed facts are available from experts just a Google away.:partytime2:

17 hours ago, mogandave said:

did you not make a snippy comment to me implying I was not able to afford a BMW?

Never happened. And no surprise at the name of the one guy that gave you a like for something that never happened. Best I can tell is you are referring to a response to when you proclaimed a fishy, hard coded savings on grey market on a fishy retail price. I am not here to argue, but I have no tolerance for false information because readers should be allowed the privilege of getting correct information. Hey thanks for all the attention guys, but I'd love to talk more about BMWs and have a lot to share about them and also like to learn more about them.

Never happened. And no surprise at the name of the one guy that gave you a like for something that never happened. Best I can tell is you are referring to a response to when you proclaimed a fishy, hard coded savings on grey market on a fishy retail price. I am not here to argue, but I have no tolerance for false information because readers should be allowed the privilege of getting correct information. Hey thanks for all the attention guys, but I'd love to talk more about BMWs and have a lot to share about them and also like to learn more about them.

Same here, I like the BMW technology, unfortunately in Thailand, the choice of models and engines is very limited. However I understood from the last autoshow in Impact that the new M5 will be available (import of course) same engine as the F10 M5 but 4 wheel drive. Small disadvantage, they estimated the price at 14mill Thb. So I will keep my F10 M5 for a couple of years more and I want to make the switch to Tesla which should be available in Thailand as well.

Luk

7 hours ago, mogandave said:

Hello? [canopy wrote: I hope in the future BMWs can be accessible to more people like yourself.]

Gotcha. That comment was not directed at you, but rather the post of someone who bought a BMW. What I was trying to say is I sympathize with the Thai middle class who would like to buy BMWs but cannot unlike the middle class in other countries.  I mean now someone just said an M5 will run nearly half a million US$! What???

Gotcha. That comment was not directed at you, but rather the post of someone who bought a BMW. What I was trying to say is I sympathize with the Thai middle class who would like to buy BMWs but cannot unlike the middle class in other countries.  I mean now someone just said an M5 will run nearly half a million US$! What???

Regardless of who it was directed at, it sounds insulting to to me.

The M5 goes for $105K in the US. Middle class, really?

In 2017 Mercedes (4.1) & BMW (3.2) accounted for 7.3% of passenger car sales in Thailand, so someone is buying them.

Again, I would like them to be cheaper here as well, but they are not. But there are plenty of cars here that are a good value.

In any event, with only 8M cars, 6M pickups, and 20M motorcycles on the road in 2017, it would seem much of the Thai middle-class can’t afford a car of any kind.

Let's see if I understand you correctly. I post sympathy for the middle class in Thailand due to BMWs being off limits due to tariffs. You then scoff at the idea that a $100K car could possibly be in the league of the middle class, even in America. Then the amazing foot in the mouth part happens: you boast that 7.3% of passenger cars in Thailand are BMW/MB. How much do they cost? Pretty sure you are talking about cars that cost a lot more than $100K here. So do you think "someone" as you put it includes the middle class? According to you no. So thank you for confirming everything I have said nicely in one post.

Let's see if I understand you correctly. I post sympathy for the middle class in Thailand due to BMWs being off limits due to tariffs. You then scoff at the idea that a $100K car could possibly be in the league of the middle class, even in America. Then the amazing foot in the mouth part happens: you boast that 7.3% of passenger cars in Thailand are BMW/MB. How much do they cost? Pretty sure you are talking about cars that cost a lot more than $100K here. So do you think "someone" as you put it includes the middle class? According to you no. So thank you for confirming everything I have said nicely in one post.

Why all the drama?

I question whether a 105k car would really be considered middle class in the US and you come back claiming I “...scoff at the idea that a $100K could possibly be in the league of the middle class, even in America.

First. I was only referring to the US, nor all of America or the rest of the world. Also, as the average selling price of a new car sold in the US last year was ~$38K, I’ll stick by what I said, which is that a $105K car would not really be considered a middle class car. Are their some QFC guys that make $60K a year that spend $100K on a car? Sure. Is that a typical? No.

Clear?

To be clear, I never commented on what percentage of cars in Thailand were MB & BMW so you are just making that up.

If you’re going to comment on what I say, please go back and try to read and comprehend what I said and adjust your response accordingly.

Thanks

20 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Why all the drama?

I question whether a 105k car would really be considered middle class in the US and you come back claiming I “...scoff at the idea that a $100K could possibly be in the league of the middle class, even in America.

First. I was only referring to the US, nor all of America or the rest of the world. Also, as the average selling price of a new car sold in the US last year was ~$38K, I’ll stick by what I said, which is that a $105K car would not really be considered a middle class car. Are their some QFC guys that make $60K a year that spend $100K on a car? Sure. Is that a typical? No.

Clear?

To be clear, I never commented on what percentage of cars in Thailand were MB & BMW so you are just making that up.

If you’re going to comment on what I say, please go back and try to read and comprehend what I said and adjust your response accordingly.

Thanks

Watched the US Maycham ? Live auctions last night 3.30 am live, Immaculate V 12 7 series LWB went for 12K US$ ,Lexus/ Benz struggled with much the same drop, old musle cars were fetching 40 to 100K in seconds. Dont watch these live shows without a box of tissues. 

Mr. mogandave it would be my pleasure to do you a favor and clear your name by making no doubt that everyone understands perfectly what you said and I quote from you:

1. "In 2017 Mercedes (4.1) & BMW (3.2) accounted for 7.3% of passenger car sales in Thailand,"
  2. "To be clear, I never commented on what percentage of cars in Thailand were MB & BMW".

We can all easily see the glaring differences between your two quotes so there is no need to elaborate on this or argue anymore. So can we move on? Oh right I thought not. So just a quick word of advice: be forewarned if you do decide to make pedantic arguments about these magnificent differences, it could very well prompt someone to accuse you of being a scooter riding English teacher with no money. I've seen it.

It sounds like this may come as a surprise to you, but there are middle class people in America that buy M5's and Porsche's. I personally know of several. It is troubling to hear you feel "there are plenty of cars here that are a good value" as some sort of excuse to sweep the tariff situation under the rug as being inconsequential. In reality that statement does not reflect the feelings of all middle class Thai's that do not necessarily agree with nicer cars being placed out of their reach artificially and being forced to choose amongst these cheaper cars "of good value".

No inference to Mango, just an observation.If you follow the posters who have strong anti Luxury car opinions here, one often finds his major posts are about Bus Fares, got a TEFAL thing and why a Fino is better than a Wave or has a 15 YO Ranger, and lives in Esarn. No Fun at all.!!:partytime2:.

Just now, HAKAPALITA said:

Dont leave it too the Kids, make em earn one.!!

Indeed but I just don't like making the tax man here even richer. For me it's not only about can I afford it it's about 'value' and paying more than double the true 'value' of the car which can be purchased half the price in Europe - now isn't THAT bizarre?

Mr. mogandave it would be my pleasure to do you a favor and clear your name by making no doubt that everyone understands perfectly what you said and I quote from you:

1. "In 2017 Mercedes (4.1) & BMW (3.2) accounted for 7.3% of passenger car sales in Thailand,"
  2. "To be clear, I never commented on what percentage of cars in Thailand were MB & BMW".
We can all easily see the glaring differences between your two quotes so there is no need to elaborate on this or argue anymore. So can we move on? Oh right I thought not. So just a quick word of advice: be forewarned if you do decide to make pedantic arguments about these magnificent differences, it could very well prompt someone to accuse you of being a scooter riding English teacher with no money. I've seen it.

It sounds like this may come as a surprise to you, but there are middle class people in America that buy M5's and Porsche's. I personally know of several. It is troubling to hear you feel "there are plenty of cars here that are a good value" as some sort of excuse to sweep the tariff situation under the rug as being inconsequential. In reality that statement does not reflect the feelings of all middle class Thai's that do not necessarily agree with nicer cars being placed out of their reach artificially and being forced to choose amongst these cheaper cars "of good value".

I see a significant difference between what percentage was sold in the country last year, and what percentage of the total number of cars in the country.

I state that given average cost of a new car in the US last year was ~ $36K, that $100 car could hardly be considered middle class. You seem to imply that you knowing several middle class people that own M5s and Porsches in the US somehow proves that a $100K car is middle class.

I really hope the condescending attitude makes you feel better about yourself, but I think it’s unwarranted.

Archived