A few questions about buying a new BMW in Thailand

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could buy used. Our F48 X1 purchased end of 2017 with 12,000 km and 10 months old was 2,050,000. At the time the list price was 2,459,000 ( but it has now dropped to 2,359,000). The car came with tinted glass, good quality carpets and a ceramic coating with 3 year warranty. It had some slight damage to the rear bumper but that was repaired by us under the previous owner's insurance. 

4 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

To a point you can say that, im not one to argue like the Ford Toyo Fanboys, whos controversy is amusing, i just enjoy BMs since my first Alpina CSl Coup a lifetime ago.First to admit a Teana, Accord,or Camry are near equal generally, and better price/bang for buck, but wont admit those tiply tumble SUV truck based things @ 1.8Mil come even close to a basic Cherokee or Range Rover.If yer can yer do, so no Range Rover for me.Now those i love, but no money.?

Range Rover? One of the worst around for electrical systems.

Not a fan of SUV's in any case - they hold up too much traffic while the Thai drivers attempt to park them. And that's only one of my bitches about them.

Old-fashioned, but nothing beats a Toyota Landcruiser diesel for durability and utility.

I knew an Australian farmer who would flog his vehicles mercilessly - they usually only lasted about 2 years, and the car dealers were reduced to tears when he traded them in. AFAIK he's still got the Landcruiser he bought 12 years ago.

I'm driving a Merc coupe nearly 30 years old. Great highway car, built in the days before the accountants started cost-cutting.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Not a fan of SUV's in any case - they hold up too much traffic while the Thai drivers attempt to park them. And that's only one of my bitches about them.

Old-fashioned, but nothing beats a Toyota Landcruiser diesel for durability and utility.

I knew an Australian farmer who would flog his vehicles mercilessly - they usually only lasted about 2 years, and the car dealers were reduced to tears when he traded them in. AFAIK he's still got the Landcruiser he bought 12 years ago.

I'm driving a Merc coupe nearly 30 years old. Great highway car, built in the days before the accountants started cost-cutting.

Dont worry nothing expensive will ever let you down.?‍♂️

On 5/26/2018 at 4:24 PM, pmarlowe said:

Look at Mercedes Benz instead. Many more models (30) to choose from. Many more deals to be made. 110 years in Thailand.

Totally agree. Only people who cannot afford Benz maintenance buy BMW.

But sad, your car will never have a big star in front ?

22 minutes ago, grkt said:

Totally agree. Only people who cannot afford Benz maintenance buy BMW.

But sad, your car will never have a big star in front ?

It's a matter of opinion; however. BMW has overtaken Benz in terms of cachet, particularly w.r.to performance vehicles.

Benz maintenance is a bit like grandfather's axe. They don't repair or replace minor components - the whole module is replaced instead. Then they no doubt wonder why people here start using non=Benz servicing.

Was thinking of buying a Nissan Micra, but decided to splash out a bit and buy a 430i Coupe M Sport!

As for the comment "Only people who cannot afford Benz maintenance buy BMW.", it is total b....shit and hardly worth wasting time responding to it. However, myself and others buy BMW out of choice. I also like some Mercedes models (including the coupes having driven an E Class in Vietnam), but they are ten a penny in Bangkok and I prefer something different.

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Always one of those old guy living in his glory days and making fun of people's choice.. jesus dude.. People just want the car they like.. they dont give a shit if its 5% less good than x car, all they care about is that its comfy and looks good.

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's a matter of opinion; however. BMW has overtaken Benz in terms of cachet, particularly w.r.to performance vehicles.

Benz maintenance is a bit like grandfather's axe. They don't repair or replace minor components - the whole module is replaced instead. Then they no doubt wonder why people here start using non=Benz servicing.

If you knew how people here pretend to "fix" a car, you would prefer that they change the whole part instead of showing that they know nothing.

I do not buy cheap Japanese crap because I do not want that any random Somchai fixes my car. I want a computer to decide even if it changes the parts too quickly/early. Better than a Somchai who doesn't even know when to change them...

9 hours ago, bearpolar said:

Always one of those old guy living in his glory days and making fun of people's choice.. jesus dude.. People just want the car they like.. they dont give a shit if its 5% less good than x car, all they care about is that its comfy and looks good.

Are you so sure ? How many buy a $hit car and ten buy some ugly addons or think that when changing for some low-profile tires,  that their car is now so sport.

I just think that people are liars and buy what they can even if they would like better, otherwise they would not keep trying to customize their ridiculous cheap cars like idiots.

Knowing what I know about cars, BMW's here lack any kind of options. The only BMW I've seen that's well worth the money is the Activehybrid 3 (current gen of course) with the very reliable and amazing inline 6 making 340 hp. Used ones go for 1,800,000 baht which I think is worth it.

Well, I would consider a BMW over a normal Mercedes. But then, if I take a look at the AMG C43 coupe for 4.1 mb. Just a nice car and the cheapest car around with the most HP. 

True, but if I remember correctly with the old interior.. The problem with Mercedes and BMW, although they have very nice cars, the engine choice is very limited and many are offered only diesel. Who wants an X6 with a diesel engine?

Luk

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, AsiaHand said:

a great car. Even though it is built here in Thailand with the workers making less then one tenth the wages in Europe ,the price for a new 5 series is three times the same car in the US.including the imported fee in the US.What is the cost in Germany ?

What is the relevance of any of that?

10 hours ago, mogandave said:

Sure. When guys grow up they trade in their beamers in and buy real cars...

As so many times on this forum totally off topic and not relevant to the original question. I wonder if such a response would be given or the poster waste everybody's time if the subject was the bottom of the range Tata, a model I expect he is an expert in.

2 minutes ago, rimmae2 said:

As so many times on this forum totally off topic and not relevant to the original question. I wonder if such a response would be given or the poster waste everybody's time if the subject was the bottom of the range Tata, a model I expect he is an expert in.

If you check out the other posts from expert  malcontents, they are mainly posted in the Bycycle , Teaching, Vote for Labour, or Border Run sections. Its an age thing.I love Motoring here, but cant be serious about it.?‍♂️

Get a grip Homer, it was a joke.

And you’re wasting everyone’s time because.....????

On 5/29/2018 at 3:24 AM, grkt said:

Are you so sure ? How many buy a $hit car and ten buy some ugly addons or think that when changing for some low-profile tires,  that their car is now so sport.

I just think that people are liars and buy what they can even if they would like better, otherwise they would not keep trying to customize their ridiculous cheap cars like idiots.

what are you rambling about old man

What about all the fat people wearing trainers? It's the same. They like trainers, they arent trying to make people think they are athletes. 

what are you rambling about old man

What about all the fat people wearing trainers? It's the same. They like trainers, they arent trying to make people think they are athletes. 

What does it mean when fat people were speedos?

On 5/29/2018 at 6:51 PM, Just Weird said:

What is the relevance of any of that? (three times more expensive than the same car in the US)

It's why there is a vibrant grey import market in Thailand where the smart people bypass having to pay 3 times the cost of how much the car was supposed to cost. Sometimes there are crackdowns and MB for one has threatened to stop servicing vehicles brought in this way.

It's why there is a vibrant grey import market in Thailand where the smart people bypass having to pay 3 times the cost of how much the car was supposed to cost. Sometimes there are crackdowns and MB for one has threatened to stop servicing vehicles brought in this way.

So the “smart people” buy illegal imports for only 2.75 times rather than three times.

On 5/31/2018 at 8:59 AM, HAKAPALITA said:

All tooo complex, for me its just a case of spending the kids inheritance. if they want nice car work for it.Those Trainer things remind me of Babies First Shoe.??

Especially with white socks....839570826_shakehead.gif.5fabb0b1348e3613557494512ced4959.gif

44 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So the “smart people” buy illegal imports for only 2.75 times rather than three times.

Where did you pull that number from, never mind I think we know ha ha. You need to do a little research. Customs might auction off a brand new illegally imported Ferrari. And then the highest bid is just a few hundred thousand baht because "oddly" there was only 1 bidder that was interested. So in response to this loophole they sometimes crunch imported exotic cars rather than auctioning them. But still avenues exist (look at crackdowns in the news) and it is plain to see smart buyers get new cars at very reasonable prices.

It wasn't that long ago I carried computer hardware to Thailand because it seemed everything cost 3x more here than the US. Thankfully those days are over and prices are often pretty close. I hope cars will one day be competitively priced and this nonsense ends. The middle class will flourish. A BMW should not be taxed such that it is exclusively a car for a rich kid, especially when he just went around the taxes intended for him and got it through other channels. The whole thing has been a failure hurting the middle class while benefiting the rich.

Archived