A few questions about buying a new BMW in Thailand

Hi there,

I'm going to buy a new BMW 3 series in a couple months and have some questions.

• Is it possible to get a discount? If so, how?
  • Is there a difference in price for Farang vs Thai customers?
  • What types of freebies should I ask them to throw in?
  • I live in Chiang Mai. Is it better to buy the car here in CM, or should I buy it in Bangkok instead?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Discount  ~100k depending on model.  Much more for demo or older stock. 

3 series discount will probably increase as F30 replacement gets closer. 

Difference for negotiation and demand at time of purchase.  I doubt Thai or Ferang buyer makes much difference but who knows.

Option list is limited so Freebies pretty minor beyond insurance and tint.  

Not sure about ChiangMai but checking BKK prices for comparison would be worthwhile.  

On 5/24/2018 at 9:26 PM, Jitar said:

Discount  ~100k depending on model.  Much more for demo or older stock. 

3 series discount will probably increase as F30 replacement gets closer. 

Difference for negotiation and demand at time of purchase.  I doubt Thai or Ferang buyer makes much difference but who knows.

Option list is limited so Freebies pretty minor beyond insurance and tint.  

Not sure about ChiangMai but checking BKK prices for comparison would be worthwhile.  

agree with this post. i bought a new 4 series got 150k off for paying cash

On 5/24/2018 at 7:33 PM, Santogold said:

Hi there,

I'm going to buy a new BMW 3 series in a couple months and have some questions.

• Is it possible to get a discount? If so, how?
  • Is there a difference in price for Farang vs Thai customers?
  • What types of freebies should I ask them to throw in?
  • I live in Chiang Mai. Is it better to buy the car here in CM, or should I buy it in Bangkok instead?

1. Yes, all dealers will be prepared to discount, it is worth looking at an ex. demo model, the first 3 series I got in 2011 was a demo and it was a 400,000 saving on new, had 7k km and was like new.

2. No

3. Up to you, personally I never ask for 'freebies' because they are not free, if they want to throw in 30k of extras fine, or preferably discount another 30k.

4. Again up to you, go to the dealer in CM and ask how much, at the end of the day it makes no difference to the car, other than you have traveled, a BKK dealership will charge extra for CM plates BTW.

Is it possible to get a discount? If so, how?

Sometimes, it depends on how new the new model is. I couldn't wrangle a discount on an X5 when the newest model had just come out - but I could secure delivery within a week (4 days) by paying cash. 

You may get 100k off a model which has been available for some time. 

Is there a difference in price for Farang vs Thai customers?

No, I've never heard of this. 

What types of freebies should I ask them to throw in?

1 year insurance. Window Tint. Glass Coating. A golf Bag if you beg for one !

I live in Chiang Mai. Is it better to buy the car here in CM, or should I buy it in Bangkok instead?

Bangkok has more BMW dealers, so it may be possible to play one off against the others (i.e. Millennium Vs German Autos), but then you may find it a little more difficult dealing with your local dealer in Chiang Mai if you purchased from Bangkok. 

On 5/24/2018 at 9:47 PM, sammieuk1 said:

If you can afford a BMW here why haggle?

a great car. Even though it is built here in Thailand with the workers making less then one tenth the wages in Europe ,the price for a new 5 series is three times the same car in the US.including the imported fee in the US.What is the cost in Germany ?

a great car. Even though it is built here in Thailand with the workers making less then one tenth the wages in Europe ,the price for a new 5 series is three times the same car in the US.including the imported fee in the US.What is the cost in Germany ?

No significant tax and duty for BMW going into the US.

I think the X models are built in South Carolina.

It is the excise tax that makes the price so high in Thailand.

Do the BMWs here  Late1 & 3 Series) suffer the same safety issues as in the US and UK?

1. Self igniting (even when ignition not turned on?) Vehicles locked and parked up on peoples drives then next minute they are going up in flames

2. Totally shutting down dead while in middle of driving

Been major recalls in US and two announced only last week in UK after BBC Watchdog Consumer TV show has been all over BMW in last few weeks about these issues...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5dLbbyWL9NHVG5MjlSzLHWW/bmw

14 hours ago, catman20 said:

yes and properly paid 600k In interest. I can understand why you don't have one . 

Not always, When i bought my first car (Toyota Camry) i asked for discount for buying cash,

Answer was Non. But if i bought the car on finance i would get a good discount and all the goodies.

The finance was free of interest for the first year.

So in the end i took the car on a 1 year minimum finance plan (no interest) and put the rest of the money on the bank where it would generate a little bit of interest.

I have purchased 2 BMWs in the last 10 years; 325i Coupe and 430i Coupe M Sport (both from the same dealer). The first time I did not shop around, second time I went to three different dealers - all offered the same price and 'extras'. 

Both cars were purchased when the models were relatively new in Thailand and as per precious comment I also could not wrangle a discount.

Both cars delivered within about a week.

As per above. I am not of the opinion that BMW prefers cash and paying cash will get a discount.

I've never heard of this, as per previous comment. 

As previous poster 1 year insurance. Window Tint. Glass Coating. (plus key ring, umbrella).

Be careful about the quality of the window tint. Last time we purchased a car the window tint was not good quality and too dark, so we decided to choose what we wanted and pay 10-15k, rather than going back to BMW.

I live in Chiang Mai. Is it better to buy the car here in CM, or should I buy it in Bangkok instead?

I prefer to buy from a dealer who is within reasonable travelling distance. With the first car I had some problems with the dealer mainly because they 'promised' to carry out the services within xx days and it never happened and we were never told when the service would be finished. We discussed the problem with the senior management (German and Thai) and things significantly improved afterwards.

As the dealer is only 1 km from our home, we know the management and technicians and there was no difference between three dealers, we decided to use the same dealer as for the first car.

I have purchased 2 BMWs in the last 10 years; 325i Coupe and 430i Coupe M Sport (both from the same dealer). The first time I did not shop around, second time I went to three different dealers - all offered the same price and 'extras'. 

Both cars were purchased when the models were relatively new in Thailand and as per precious comment I also could not wrangle a discount.

Both cars delivered within about a week.

As per above. I am not of the opinion that BMW prefers cash and paying cash will get a discount.

I've never heard of this, as per previous comment. 

As previous poster 1 year insurance. Window Tint. Glass Coating. (plus key ring, umbrella).

Be careful about the quality of the window tint. Last time we purchased a car the window tint was not good quality and too dark, so we decided to choose what we wanted and pay 10-15k, rather than going back to BMW.

I prefer to buy from a dealer who is within reasonable travelling distance. With the first car I had some problems with the dealer mainly because they 'promised' to carry out the services within xx days and it never happened and we were never told when the service would be finished. We discussed the problem with the senior management (German and Thai) and things significantly improved afterwards.

As the dealer is only 1 km from our home, we know the management and technicians and there was no difference between three dealers, we decided to use the same dealer as for the first car.

Two things to consider:

Buy the upgraded version, it is really worth it because in the iconic base model, you cannot even use BMW connect app. And it has some safety features, the iconic model seems not to have.

Then, if you buy on finance, don't let them fool you to take an "outsider" bank to do the finance. They offer f. ex. 4 years no interests or very low, but if you go the bank and all talk about 5 years, you will get the standard 3-4% per year interest contract.

Two things to consider:

Buy the upgraded version, it is really worth it because in the iconic base model, you cannot even use BMW connect app. And it has some safety features, the iconic model seems not to have.

Then, if you buy on finance, don't let them fool you to take an "outsider" bank to do the finance. They offer f. ex. 4 years no interests or very low, but if you go the bank and all talk about 5 years, you will get the standard 3-4% per year interest contract.

On 5/26/2018 at 4:24 PM, pmarlowe said:

Look at Mercedes Benz instead. Many more models (30) to choose from. Many more deals to be made. 110 years in Thailand.

Both Mercedes and BMW have serious quality issues. IMHO the OP would be better off buying Japanese or Korean, and would save money to boot. If he wants luxury, buy a Lexus. If he wants performance, buy a Kia Stinger or Subaru WRX.

Sure, Mercs and Beemers have the prestige badge - but that's all nowadays.

On 5/26/2018 at 4:24 PM, pmarlowe said:

Look at Mercedes Benz instead. Many more models (30) to choose from. Many more deals to be made. 110 years in Thailand.

Both Mercedes and BMW have serious quality issues. IMHO the OP would be better off buying Japanese or Korean, and would save money to boot. If he wants luxury, buy a Lexus. If he wants performance, buy a Kia Stinger or Subaru WRX.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

To a point you can say that, im not one to argue like the Ford Toyo Fanboys, whos controversy is amusing, i just enjoy BMs since my first Alpina CSl Coup a lifetime ago.First to admit a Teana, Accord,or Camry are near equal generally, and better price/bang for buck, but wont admit those tiply tumble SUV truck based things @ 1.8Mil come even close to a basic Cherokee or Range Rover.If yer can yer do, so no Range Rover for me.Now those i love, but no money.?

Archived