Drone stuck in customs

Xaos

Hi, sometime ago I brought Mavic pro from Japan, then they cracked on drones, so I registered it with police, i think its NBTC permit to fly.

After that i crashed it, luckly had DJI insurance so had to send it to usa for repairs, now they sended it back and got email from DHL they holding it b cuz i need NBTC import licence, god please what?

I sended them police permit, its form from NBTC website, but looks like they want NBTC import permit.

I got 2 choices, get permit or send drone back to family to usa free of cost.

How tough it might be to get NBTC  import licence on used drone, that was aleady in Thailand and is NBTC registered, that even not make sense.

Guess its hard to answer too

Thanks for help

I feel your pain since I have had the exact same thing happen with Thai Customs, only it wasn't a drone but a brand new Google Pixel 2 mobile phone and it wasn't DHL but USPS

It was stopped by customs even though the full price was declared on the customs form.  My local post office told me that I had to go to the port at Lam Chabang  to receive it, when I got there I was informed that in order to import a cell phone into Thailand I had to obtain a "radio device import license " in Bangkok

I either obtained the license or customs would send the phone back to the US.  So two month later I am still waiting for the phone to be returned to the US since I was not even allowed to pay the duty

It appears to me , that after buying three phones shipped to Thailand over 10 years with no problems,  Customs just stops a certain number of parcels to show that they are doing there job

It's not like there are any Thai mobile phone manufacturers that need customs protection 

Regarding the OP drone problem .  He may have registered  the drone with the NBTC which is an easy process but he does not appear to have completed the entire process by which the Thai Civil Aviation Agency  allows you to fly a drone in Thailand.  I did not have problems with my drone repair since DJI in Bangkok did the in warranty repairs , thus no customs 

Did you declare the export of the drone when you sent it to the USA?
No i had no clue. I just dhl it to dji usa.

Good news is they said they will send it back free, to dads home.

I will call ask how to get that import permit.

• 8 months later...

Hey, last minute crisis here. Hoping you can help me out.
I am traveling to Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos. I did not have time to register/insure. I figured I would take it and see about registering it locally at each. If I cannot register, then I would not fly there.

But, I don’t want to go to a country only to have it confiscated in customs, simply for having it in my possession and no plan to fly. Can I safely travel with it unregistered through these locations?

Leaving very soon,

Greatly appreciate any reply!!