Non-Imm O (Over 50) Visa Advise needed

Hi Guys,

Long term reader of the forum but finally joined today to ask for up-to-date information/advice on securing a "Non-Imm O" visa based on being over 50.

By way of background, I'm 52, from the UK, currently living/working in Singapore & trying to get things set up so I can retire in Thailand when my contract comes to an end (November). 

So far I've used the information gleaned from the forum to get-

• Thai (Bangkok) Bank Account - Currently 500K towards the 800k target, remainder will be there by end of June - I might have messed up here as approx 300k came from a mate who works in Thailand & wanted Singapore $s so we did a swap - Not a problem if I need to replace this with money coming "Officially" from outside of Thailand it will just take me another couple of months to hit the target.
  • UK Consulate Certificate of Income - (comfortably higher than the 65k required)

So now I'm looking for advise on how best to secure the Non-O single 90 day visa, my options seem to be:-

1. Do it where I'm resident - Checked on the Singapore Thai Embassy home page and as I'm only here on a 2 year Employment Pass I'm not eligible to apply for Non-O/O-A Visas
  2. Do it in my home country (UK) - Would need to be a Non-OA as I won't receive a Pension for another 8 years & it would need to wait for my next trip back in October - I'd really like everything settled well before then so I can just make the move in November
  3. Do it in Thailand - I've read this takes approximately 15 days so much though I'd love a few weeks holiday, I'm struggling to take the time before September
  4. Savannakhet - Read conflicting reports about whether I'd need Medical Certificate, Police Checks, residency certificate etc...
  5. Penang - Again, read conflicting reports about whether I'd need a residency certificate 
  6. Somewhere Else??? ??? ???

So my question is, if you only had 1 week to secure a non-imm O visa, where would you go if you only had the 800k (not seeded for 2 months, don't believe this is a problem for 1st Visa application) & an income certificate?

NB I would take on a Condo lease for 6 months if that's what it took to get things sorted (there are some advantages in doing this), but don't want to go down the "Dodgy Agent" route (though I don't mind/would actually prefer a place where I could use a legitimate agent as long as it's all above board).

TIA

MTV

Edited by Mike Teavee

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

So far I've used the information gleaned from the forum to get-

• Thai (Bangkok) Bank Account - Currently 500K towards the 800k target, remainder will be there by end of June - I might have messed up here as approx 300k came from a mate who works in Thailand & wanted Singapore $s so we did a swap - Not a problem if I need to replace this with money coming "Officially" from outside of Thailand it will just take me another couple of months to hit the target.
  • UK Consulate Certificate of Income - (comfortably higher than the 65k required)

You need 800k OR a letter from your embassy showing income of 65k per month.  ( Or a combination of the two equaling 800k.)

You don't need both.

2 hours ago, TerryLH said:

You need 800k OR a letter from your embassy showing income of 65k per month.  ( Or a combination of the two equaling 800k.)

You don't need both.

Thanks, I was originally planning to go down the 800K in the bank route but it seems ZVK & PEN now also want to see proof that you're retired/have income coming in, so I did the postal thing with the British Consulate to get a certificate of income, can't hurt save for the £52.00 they charge.

To answer the earlier posts about agents, I've read a couple of threads where people talk about getting a Non-Imm O & 1st extension in a day or 2, that sounds sketchy to me but I'll happily pay an agent for their time in helping me to make sure I get everything right 1st time. 2-3 days annual leave is worth much more to me than 25K at this point in time.

When I stop working it would be a different ballgame & having to go back to immigration with something that I didn't know I needed 1st time wont be such a big deal, especially as it would then be an extension to stay rather than a visa application/conversion so something that could be done, legitimately the same day.

Edited by Mike Teavee

Just come to Thailand in Nov with a tourist visa or 30 day visa on arrival.

Then convert the visa to non-o, and then get a retirement ext.

Don't think too much. Your 800K in a Thai bank is enough to meet all the financial requirements.

Anytime you send money into Thailand, goto the bank and get a foreign transfer detail. It's a free one page print out stating the money is from abroad.

If you didn't hire an agent to write the opening post, you don't need an agent for all the visa procedures :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

To answer the earlier posts about agents, I've read a couple of threads where people talk about getting a Non-Imm O & 1st extension in a day or 2, that sounds sketchy to me but I'll happily pay an agent for their time in helping me to make sure I get everything right 1st time. 2-3 days annual leave is worth much more to me than 25K at this point in time.

One of the issues with using an agent is that you never learn the procedure for yourself.

The quick 'unorthodox' conversion can also lead to issues if your going to settle in a different Province than where you obtained the 'dodgy' conversion, as one or two expats I know have experienced.

They also keep your passport for those days, something I'd never allow, and have been known to 'misplace' them.

I agree with Thailand J, when your ready, obtain a Tourist Visa to enter Thailand then do the conversion to Non O/extension yourself.

Apart from costs (3,900 baht) doing it yourself, you'll learn so much more about the procedures required to follow, which will stand you in good stead for your future in Thailand.

21 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I agree with Thailand J, when your ready, obtain a Tourist Visa to enter Thailand then do the conversion to Non O/extension yourself.

@Mike Teavee - where are you planning to settle in Thailand? You should be aware that a non-O conversion is easier said than done in practice to accomplish at certain immigration offices - e.g. Jomtien (Pattaya) and Maptaput (Rayong).

11 hours ago, Thailand J said:

Just come to Thailand in Nov with a tourist visa or 30 day visa on arrival.

Then convert the visa to non-o, and then get a retirement ext.

Don't think too much. Your 800K in a Thai bank is enough to meet all the financial requirements.

Anytime you send money into Thailand, goto the bank and get a foreign transfer detail. It's a free one page print out stating the money is from abroad.

If you didn't hire an agent to write the opening post, you don't need an agent for all the visa procedures ?

As mentioned, I'm struggling for time away from work at the moment so ideally I was looking to do something like... 

• Fri evening - Fly to BKK, have a weekend there (stay at my mates condo so only flight & spends)
  • Mon AM - Go to Bank, get passbook updated & bank letter confirming funds
  • Mon evening - Fly to ZVK or PEN or ???
  • Tue AM - Visa application in
  • Wed AM/PM - Collect Visa
  • Thu AM - Fly back to Singapore, straight into the office

Approx 60 days later... 

• Fri evening - Fly to BKK, have a weekend there
  • Mon AM - Go to Bank, get passbook updated & bank letter confirming funds
  • Tue AM - CW for extension
  • Tue PM/Wed/Thu - Give myself sometime in case I need to go back for anything
  • Thu Evening - Fly back to Singapore 

Question: Would the above work???

Majority of my time is spent working with guys in the US so downside is that I have conference calls until midnight every Tues, Wed, Thurs; Upside is that I can work from anywhere so the above schedule could be done using just 2 day's holiday (F2F meetings on Monday's & Fridays so possibly need to take the 2 Monday's as leave).

Having just typed the above, I've realized that I could do 2 weeks in Thailand & use 2-4 days leave, (Mondays & Fridays) working from my mate's condo the rest of the time (Please nobody mention work permits!).

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

@Mike Teavee - where are you planning to settle in Thailand? You should be aware that a non-O conversion is easier said than done in practice to accomplish at certain immigration offices - e.g. Jomtien (Pattaya) and Maptaput (Rayong).

My "Plan" is to sort out my Visa asap & spend 6-12 months "Living in Bangkok" whilst working (earning) in Singapore for as long as possible - I'd fly to SIN on a Mon morning & fly back to BKK on a Fri afternoon, I know it sounds crazy but I've had worse commutes in my career & having a place to call home at either end really does make it easier.

During that time I'll be checking out exactly where it is I want to settle (candidates are somewhere like Hua Hin or Jomtien/Naklua/Rayong or Krabi/one of the Islands if I want to stay near the ocean, somewhere like Udon Thani if I want to be inland), but I figure it's best to stay near BKK (airport) whilst sorting everything out.

Edited by Mike Teavee

8 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Mon evening - Fly to ZVK or PEN

Flights to Savannakhet (ZVK) are limited. There are only a few a week and the schedules would require staying for 3 nights to get the application and picking it up done.

Penang would be a better choice since there are more flights.

One thing you did not mention is getting a re-entry permit to keep the 90 day entry from the non-o visa valid when you return.

• Like 1

i just did a tourist->90 day non O->retirement extension with an agent,

it took around a month before i got my passport back.

i deem it zero probability IO would have done it if it was just me

offering no money on top of their salary.

so you can do that when you are done with singapore for the cost of around 25k,

or you can ask around how to get a 90 day non O,

it has been said that IO is a whole lot more forthcoming when its just a non O->retirement extension,

and in most cases dont regress to extortion.

the reason embassy in cambodia didnt give non O was i didnt have 800k in a thai bank account, so if you can get that sorted out before you apply for non O, -you should be fine

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Flights to Savannakhet (ZVK) are limited. There are only a few a week and the schedules would require staying for 3 nights to get the application and picking it up done.

Penang would be a better choice since there are more flights.

One thing you did not mention is getting a re-entry permit to keep the 90 day entry from the non-o visa valid when you return.

Thanks Joe, hadn't thought about flight availability, I guess if it's a problem I can follow the "Visa Run Itinerary", fly to Udon Thani  & take the bus, but I do know & enjoy Penang so that would be my preference

Would you say that all things considered Penang & Savannakhet are equal when it comes to getting a Non-Imm O for being over 50?  ZVK seems highly rated for Non-Imm O for Marriage but little about "Retirement" & Penang seems to be limiting the number of Visas it's processing on any given day.

My "Plan" would be to just enter once when I had approx 30 days left on the Visa to get the extension, but you are absolutely correct, if I plan on travelling on it more than once I would get a Re-Entry Permit and know I'll need a Multi Re-entry for the extension.

8 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

If you want to spend weekends in Thailand you can look into METV.

My suggestion in post #4 is for you after your contract has ended and moved to Thailand.

Thanks TJ, I hadn't considered that (& I can get an METV from Singapore), I got it in to my mind that if I get a 1 year Extension then I'll be settled, I know myself, if I'm on a TV I won't sign any contracts that last longer than the TV.

I guess the other consideration is if I don't do it now, what will the "Rules" be like for new Non-O applicants in 1 years time.

But definitely something to keep in the quiver as I know if my "Plan" to spend sometime commuting is going to work, I'm not going to be able to come in every week on a visa exempt stamp.

Edited by Mike Teavee

16 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i just did a tourist->90 day non O->retirement extension with an agent,

it took around a month before i got my passport back.

i deem it zero probability IO would have done it if it was just me

offering no money on top of their salary.

so you can do that when you are done with singapore for the cost of around 25k,

or you can ask around how to get a 90 day non O,

it has been said that IO is a whole lot more forthcoming when its just a non O->retirement extension,

and in most cases dont regress to extortion.

the reason embassy in cambodia didnt give non O was i didnt have 800k in a thai bank account, so if you can get that sorted out before you apply for non O, -you should be fine

Hadn't even considered Cambodia to get the Visa (Did not know you could get one from there) & I'm heading to PP for a holiday in a few weeks so will check out the agents there.

Any other suggestions of places to get one from? (Being based in Singapore means I can get to most places in the region reasonably easily).

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Thanks TJ, I hadn't considered that (& I can get an METV from Singapore), I got it in to my mind that if I get a 1 year Extension then I'll be settled, I know myself, if I'm on a TV I won't sign any contracts that last longer than the TV.

I guess the other consideration is if I don't do it now, what will the "Rules" be like for new Non-O applicants in 1 years time.

But definitely something to keep in the quiver as I know if my "Plan" to spend sometime commuting is going to work, I'm not going to be able to come in every week on a visa exempt stamp.

Not a big deal. You have everything you need. Come in on a TV. In two weeks go back for Non-O, two weeks before it expires apply for retirement extension with multiple entry. I don't know how re-entry works on the Non-O?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Thanks Joe, hadn't thought about flight availability, I guess if it's a problem I can follow the "Visa Run Itinerary", fly to Udon Thani  & take the bus, but I do know & enjoy Penang so that would be my preference

You can use a fly/ride service from Don Mueang airport to Mukdahan and then cross the bridge there to Savannakhet. Nok Air and Air Asia offer the fly ride service via regional airports. Nok Air has more flights and choices. You would  need two nights to do it since you would arrive too late to apply on that day.

Would you say that all things considered Penang & Savannakhet are equal when it comes to getting a Non-Imm O for being over 50?  ZVK seems highly rated for Non-Imm O for Marriage but little about "Retirement" & Penang seems to be limiting the number of Visas it's processing on any given day.

They are about equal. The advantage of Penang is that you use and agent to do the application. I think the 100 a day limit is for applications done in person.

My "Plan" would be to just enter once when I had approx 30 days left on the Visa to get the extension, but you are absolutely correct, if I plan on travelling on it more than once I would get a Re-Entry Permit and know I'll need a Multi Re-entry for the extension.

The 90 day entry does not start until you enter the country. You need a re-entry permit to keep that 90 day entry valid.

Edit: After getting the visa you will have to return to Thailand to get that entry. You could enter the country and leave shortly after that. You can get the re-entry permit at either airport in Bangkok on departure from the country.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Hadn't even considered Cambodia to get the Visa (Did not know you could get one from there) & I'm heading to PP for a holiday in a few weeks so will check out the agents there.

Any other suggestions of places to get one from? (Being based in Singapore means I can get to most places in the region reasonably easily).

actually ubonjoe think cambodia is not the place to apply in,

but i lived there while waiting to get 50 and will invariably opt for the least possible travel.

laos seem popular to apply in, and especially savannaket? spelling ?

anyway from what i gathered, even cambodia would have given me 90 day non O

if i had had 800k at the time for application, so i think

1] get a thai account and stuff it with 800k

2] when the time comes, go to nearest embassy/consulate and apply for 90 day non O

3] when you are in thailand, convert it to retirement extension

...and for all steps, do it as early as allowed, to allow for adjustments to the grand plan

in a timely fashion before time runs out,

adjustments like getting requested documents/hire agent if push comes to shove

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can use a fly/ride service from Don Mueang airport to Mukdahan and then cross the bridge there to Savannakhet. Nok Air and Air Asia offer the fly ride service via regional airports. Nok Air has more flights and choices. You would  need two nights to do it since you would arrive too late to apply on that day.

They are about equal. The advantage of Penang is that you use and agent to do the application. I think the 100 a day limit is for applications done in person.

The 90 day entry does not start until you enter the country. You need a re-entry permit to keep that 90 day entry valid.

Thanks again Joe, that is invaluable information,  I'm feeling much more confident about going to Penang now (and I do really enjoy visiting there) & will add a Multi Re-Entry permit to the shopping list.

Edited by Mike Teavee
Misquote

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

Thanks again Joe, that is invaluable information,  I'm feeling much more confident about going to Penang now (and I do really enjoy visiting there) & will add a Multi Re-Entry permit to the shopping list.

Read the edit I did of my post about doing an entry with your visa.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Not a big deal. You have everything you need. Come in on a TV. In two weeks go back for Non-O, two weeks before it expires apply for retirement extension with multiple entry. I don't know how re-entry works on the Non-O?

I know you guys who have already done this (+ countless extensions) believe/know it's really easy, but I can only say that for us Noobs/Virgins, it's quite daunting & there is so much mis-information out there (even the Siam Legal site has a page that says you need to be 55 to apply for a Non-Imm O in Penang!).

I trust the advice on this site (especially UbonJoe) so am feeling much more confident about getting the visa in Penang & getting the 1 year extension when the time is due.

Thanks Guys 

MTV

Edited by Mike Teavee

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Sorry Joe, I accidentally quoted JazzDog in my reply to you, I have edited it now to remove the quote & replied to JD separately.

As I understand it, I enter on the 90 day Visa to "Start the clock ticking" & get a re-entry permit before I leave, I then re-enter sometime around the 60 day mark using re-entry permit & apply for an extension to stay (& a multi re-entry permit so I can come & go as I please) for 1 year.

Edited by Mike Teavee

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

As I understand it, I enter on the 90 day to "Start the clock ticking" & then get a re-entry permit before I leave, I then re-enter sometime around the 60 day mark in the same visa & apply for an extension to stay (with multi re-entry so I can come & go as I please) for 1 year.

Correct

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Joe, Does getting a re-entry permit require a trip to the office every time you leave. I have retirement extension with multiple re-entry.

11 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

One of the issues with using an agent is that you never learn the procedure for yourself.

The quick 'unorthodox' conversion can also lead to issues if your going to settle in a different Province than where you obtained the 'dodgy' conversion, as one or two expats I know have experienced.

They also keep your passport for those days, something I'd never allow, and have been known to 'misplace' them.

Apart from costs (3,900 baht) doing it yourself, you'll learn so much more about the procedures required to follow, which will stand you in good stead for your future in Thailand.

Further re agents.

No doubt many folks would feel comfortable to use an agent the first time, that's Life, and this surely means getting some recommendations about agents (not difficult, perhaps here on TV maybe).

Why, here's an example, recently in Chiang Mai I came across a farang guy and his farang wife, they have over 50 retirement visas and they use an agent, 15,000Baht agents fee each person each time they need something updated / renewed etc. Neither of them have ever worked in Thailand and don't intend to work again.

They shared that the agent promised them he can get them both PR after they have had retirement visas for 3 years, but it will be necessary to prove that their 3 years of retirement visas were processed using the same agent.

All of the stuff sprouted by the agent re PR in the paragraph just above is wrong, incorrect, lies and bullshxx.

Say again, do some checking to find an honest and knowledgeable agent. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Joe, Does getting a re-entry permit require a trip to the office every time you leave. I have retirement extension with multiple re-entry.

Not if you have a multiple re-entry permit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Further re agents.

No doubt many folks would feel comfortable to use an agent the first time, that's Life, and this surely means getting some recommendations about agents (not difficult, perhaps here on TV maybe).

Why, here's an example, recently in Chiang Mai I came across a farang guy and his farang wife, they have over 50 retirement visas and they use an agent, 15,000Baht agents fee each person each time they need something updated / renewed etc. Neither of them have ever worked in Thailand and don't intend to work again.

They shared that the agent promised them he can get them both PR after they have had retirement visas for 3 years, but it will be necessary to prove that their 3 years of retirement visas were processed using the same agent.

All of the stuff sprouted by the agent re PR in the paragraph just above is wrong, incorrect, lies and bullshxx.

Say again, do some checking to find an honest and knowledgeable agent. 

Cards on the table I want to use an agent (I admit, I want somebody to hold my hand through the process, but I will also understand the process at the end, I'm like that) to get the initial visa

I know you guys who are more confident & have more time think it's a waste of money but to me it is worth approx 1 days holiday - so compared to having to take another 2-3  days holidays (plus more travel expense) because of something I didn't know/missed, is simply not worth the risk (again, to me). 

E.G. I'll hold my hands up, I paid Siam Legal 3,000 THB to get my Bangkok Bank account... In my defense:-

1. I had 3 hours on a Friday afternoon to get the account set-up, if I didn't manage it in that period it was going to be at least 3-4 weeks before I could get to try again 
  2. The guy filled in every form for me, honestly was struggling to read 1/2 of them because the text was that small (Trip to the Opticians also added to the list)
  3. I walked in there with everything he told me I would need to walk out of there with full mobile/internet banking & I walked out of there with full mobile/internet banking.
  4. The guy explained to the lovely young lady who processed my application that I needed to be able to transfer monies from Singapore to the account, so she gave me the Swift code details & waited patiently whilst I set the payee up on my mobile & then confirmed the details & I sent the 1st transfer
  5. She then explained to me that enabling Mobile Banking wasn't the same as enabling Internet Banking and waited (patiently) whilst I went through the internet registration process using the browser on my mobile

(BTW - Branch was the Bangkok Bank Branch opposite Interchange 21 - Highly Recommended)

Money well spent... To me, I know some of you guys are thinking what a waste of 3,000 but that was a fraction of the flight costs I would have incurred having to come back so why take the risk? 

Great feedback that you need to be alert though (as I said, I've no interest in using a "Dodgy" agent & used Siam Legal based on their reputation on this forum), even I know (again, from reading this forum) that you need 3 years Tax Receipts/Work Permits to get Residency (& even then you're in a lottery to get 1 of the 100 tickets).

Edited by Mike Teavee

Mike, you are really over thinking this. It is simple even for a noob. Just as long as you have 800k in the bank and you are over 50 you are sweet. Just get a single visa when you finish your job in November and you won't have a problem. But if you really want to use an agent, just do a post with the location you will do the application in and ask for a reliable agent. You will get what you require. Good luck and happy days in 6 months. ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Cards on the table I want to use an agent (I admit, I want somebody to hold my hand through the process, but I will also understand the process at the end, I'm like that) to get the initial visa

No you won't. It's not in his interest to tell you anything other than his cost and what documents he requires from you.

Hey, Siam got a Non Imm O and a retirement extension in 2 days for a mate of mine for the measly cost of 52,000 baht in Bangkok.

However the problems he had with Immigration after moving to a difference Province meant he had to get a multiple re-entry permit and do border runs every 90 days. Siam never returned his calls.

I gave him a quote from Forest Gump 'stupid is, as stupid does'.

I hope you have better luck.