Non-Imm O (Over 50) Visa Advise needed

17 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Cards on the table I want to use an agent (I admit, I want somebody to hold my hand through the process, but I will also understand the process at the end, I'm like that) to get the initial visa

I know you guys who are more confident & have more time think it's a waste of money but to me it is worth approx 1 days holiday - so compared to having to take another 2-3  days holidays (plus more travel expense) because of something I didn't know/missed, is simply not worth the risk (again, to me). 

E.G. I'll hold my hands up, I paid Siam Legal 3,000 THB to get my Bangkok Bank account... In my defense:-

1. I had 3 hours on a Friday afternoon to get the account set-up, if I didn't manage it in that period it was going to be at least 3-4 weeks before I could get to try again 
  2. The guy filled in every form for me, honestly was struggling to read 1/2 of them because the text was that small (Trip to the Opticians also added to the list)
  3. I walked in there with everything he told me I would need to walk out of there with full mobile/internet banking & I walked out of there with full mobile/internet banking.
  4. The guy explained to the lovely young lady who processed my application that I needed to be able to transfer monies from Singapore to the account, so she gave me the Swift code details & waited patiently whilst I set the payee up on my mobile & then confirmed the details & I sent the 1st transfer
  5. She then explained to me that enabling Mobile Banking wasn't the same as enabling Internet Banking and waited (patiently) whilst I went through the internet registration process using the browser on my mobile

(BTW - Branch was the Bangkok Bank Branch opposite Interchange 21 - Highly Recommended)

Money well spent... To me, I know some of you guys are thinking what a waste of 3,000 but that was a fraction of the flight costs I would have incurred having to come back so why take the risk? 

Great feedback that you need to be alert though (as I said, I've no interest in using a "Dodgy" agent & used Siam Legal based on their reputation on this forum), even I know (again, from reading this forum) that you need 3 years Tax Receipts/Work Permits to get Residency (& even then you're in a lottery to get 1 of the 100 tickets).

Same here, spent 15K total on my original and 5K on renewal. Lady is super nice and a cell phone call away when needed or got a question. She called BB and set me up, took about 15 minutes to open my account. I go to the IO have coffee she comes outside, I signoff and come get my visa the next day. I have several other LT visas in other countries costing 5X that much. Nothing to complain about here in regards to RV.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rhodie said:

Mike, you are really over thinking this. It is simple even for a noob. Just as long as you have 800k in the bank and you are over 50 you are sweet. Just get a single visa when you finish your job in November and you won't have a problem. But if you really want to use an agent, just do a post with the location you will do the application in and ask for a reliable agent. You will get what you require. Good luck and happy days in 6 months. ?

Thanks rhodie... I know I am over thinking things (too much information is arguably worst that not enough) but when I say my contract finishes in November, I mean that I can guarantee it will be extended (already been asked to lead the 2019-2020 planning & take on a project that will run to at least mid-2020)...  I'm just trying to get things sorted out so I can "land" in the best possible shape when I decide enough is enough. 

Ideally I'd like to get a parallel life set-up in Thailand, & do Xx months "Commuting" (I commuted 3.5 hours each way Mon-Fri for 3 years using Virgin Trains in the UK so flying BKK-SIN, Mon am-Fri PM is not only easier, but a lot cheaper!)

Thanks to all for the great advice,  honestly feel much clearer about what it is I need to do & how I need to go about it & look forward to having a cold one with you guys some day soon... 

Have a great weekend guys

MTV

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

No you won't. It's not in his interest to tell you anything other than his cost and what documents he requires from you.

Hey, Siam got a Non Imm O and a retirement extension in 2 days for a mate of mine for the measly cost of 52,000 baht in Bangkok.

However the problems he had with Immigration after moving to a difference Province meant he had to get a multiple re-entry permit and do border runs every 90 days. Siam never returned his calls.

I gave him a quote from Forest Gump 'stupid is, as stupid does'.

I hope you have better luck.

As I said, I have a rudimentary understanding of how these things work & how long they take so any offers to get a Non-Imm O in Thailand, in 2 days would be met with skepticism & me not touching it with a barge pole.

The Guy (Rex) I was working with from Siam-Legal said to me... Once you've got you're your 800k in place (I told him that's why I wanted the account) drop me an email & we'll help you to get the Non-Imm O BUT you're going to have to spend a lot longer (his words 2 weeks) in Thailand this time (I'd told him I was only there that day & had to get back to Singapore on the Sunday).

Edited by Mike Teavee

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, quick update, I’m in Penang & have just got my passport back with my Thai Non-Imm O Visa in it & am delighted :)

I’m also a little confused as I expected a 90 Day Single Entry, but seem to have a 1 Year (Visa is valid until 15th July 2019) multiple, is that right (it does say Non-IMM O).

I’ll post an update in the current “Visa Run” forum but just wanted to say thanks again guys for all of your help & advise :)

Edit to add pic of Visa

IMG_0187.HEIC

16 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I’m also a little confused as I expected a 90 Day Single Entry, but seem to have a 1 Year (Visa is valid until 15th July 2019) multiple, is that right (it does say Non-IMM O).

Did you apply based upon being 50 or over for retirement or marriage?

I assume you paid the 750 MYR fee for it instead of 300 MYR for a single entry.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Did you apply based upon being 50 or over for retirement or marriage?

I assume you paid the 750 MYR fee for it instead of 300 MYR for a single entry.

I applied for over 50 & the fee was 750 (+ 70 MYR for the agent)

i didnt know I could get a 1 year multi, was expecting 90 day single so am absolutely delighted 

Thanks again Joe for all your helpful advice :) 

Sorry Joe, 1 more question if I may

How long should I expect to be “Stamped In” for on my next trip to Thailand?

I’m planning to visit on 9th August, so what date should I be looking for on the “Stamp”

Thanks again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

How long should I expect to be “Stamped In” for on my next trip to Thailand?

You will get a 90 day entry every time you enter the country up to the date your visa expires.

If you enter on August 9th you will be stamped in until November 6th.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will get a 90 day entry every time you enter the country up to the date your visa expires.

If you enter on August 9th you will be stamped in until November 6th.

Sorry Joe, 1 more stupid question - When should I apply for Extension to stay?

I thought I was going to get a 90 day SE so planned on 60 days in, but now I have 1 year should I Plan for May/June 2019?

I've overused the word "Thanks" already but I really do appreciate it; have popped a mini-trip report in the visa forum to try to give something back.

Cheers

MTV

26 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Sorry Joe, 1 more stupid question - When should I apply for Extension to stay?

I thought I was going to get a 90 day SE so planned on 60 days in, but now I have 1 year should I Plan for May/June 2019?

You can apply for the one year extension based upon retirement during the last 30 days of any of the 90 entries from your non-o visa. You do not have to wait until your visa expires.

After getting the extension be sure you get a re-entry permit and be sure your visa is not used for entry or your extension will null and void.

You should of made sure that you only applied a single entry visa. Paying the fee of 750 MYR instead of 300 MYR for a single entry is what anybody else that wants a single entry should watch for. Also the putting 1 for the number of entries on the visa application instead of M.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the one year extension based upon retirement during the last 30 days of any of the 90 entries from your non-o visa. You do not have to wait until your visa expires.

After getting the extension be sure you get a re-entry permit and be sure your visa is not used for entry or your extension will null and void.

You should of made sure that you only applied a single entry visa. Paying the fee of 750 MYR instead of 300 MYR for a single entry is what anybody else that wants a single entry should watch for. Also the putting 1 for the number of entries on the visa application instead of M.

Thanks again Joe,

I was chatting with the young lady at Banana Visa & explained that I'm still working in Singapore but plan to move to Thailand towards the end of the year so she just put down Multi & actually did the best thing for me ?

I'm more than happy with the Multi (I would only have had to mess around getting a multi re-entry permit anyway) but great advice for guys who just need the Single 90 Day visa (300 MYR Vs 750)

Thanks again Joe & the other guys for all your awesome advice; I look back now & laugh to myself how how worried I was but if it wasn't for the advice I've got from here, I wouldn't have had a clue how to go about doing it.

Cheers

MTV

I may be wanting to do this in a few years too, but I'm under the impression that the easiest way is through your own countries Thai embassy if you can schedule it as such. Anybody agree through their experience of listening to both sides.

3 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I may be wanting to do this in a few years too, but I'm under the impression that the easiest way is through your own countries Thai embassy if you can schedule it as such. Anybody agree through their experience of listening to both sides.

Most embassies in your home country will not issue a non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement. They will only issue a non-oa long stay visa. 

The OA visa is a good option since it will allow unlimited one year entries for a year from the date it issued. It is possible to get a total stay of almost 2 years by getting a new one year entry just before the visa expires.

If  possible having a single entry non-o is a good option to avoid having to do a non immigrant visa application at immigration.

• Thanks 1