Can't Get Usd

minty

Wow, what a shock. I've got 90,000 baht I'm trying to convert USD and it's a struggle. I went into three banks in Chiang Mai---2 had zilch, one had 700 dollars, I took it. Then I went to the airport. One exchange said they had nothing, and were really rude, another exchange gave me $1,100 USD. About 30,000 baht to go. What's the deal? I thought dollars were <deleted>!

Wow, what a shock. I've got 90,000 baht I'm trying to convert USD and it's a struggle. I went into three banks in Chiang Mai---2 had zilch, one had 700 dollars, I took it. Then I went to the airport. One exchange said they had nothing, and were really rude, another exchange gave me $1,100 USD. About 30,000 baht to go. What's the deal? I thought dollars were <deleted>!

I'm not American but if you're travelling there is only one currency to carry and that is the greenback.

I have never gotten my head around how countries (Russia, CIS, Egypt, and many many others etc., etc.) have brand new consecutive number 100$ bills to hand out.

It's the only currency that is universally accepted everywhere (don't know about Cuba "haven't been there yet" but I bet they use the greenback)

Can't understand why they are in short supply in the realm.

Ya gotta be careful with what you accept. Thai banks have a habit of stamping and, or, writing on banknotes and you might find that this can be a problem when cashing them in some countries.

I'm not American but if you're travelling there is only one currency to carry and that is the greenback.

I have never gotten my head around how countries (Russia, CIS, Egypt, and many many others etc., etc.) have brand new consecutive number 100$ bills to hand out.

It's the only currency that is universally accepted everywhere (don't know about Cuba "haven't been there yet" but I bet they use the greenback)

Can't understand why they are in short supply in the realm.

Ya gotta be careful with what you accept. Thai banks have a habit of stamping and, or, writing on banknotes and you might find that this can be a problem when cashing them in some countries.

too many counterfeit notes around, thats why. perhaps the management of these exchange places do not trust their incompetent staff to seperate real from fake. hence don't accept any and dont offer any. :o

I went into three banks in Chiang Mai---2 had zilch, one had 700 dollars, I took it.

I would be interested to know if the Thapae Road head offices had no dollars. Did you go to the head offices on Thapae Road or to branches? Branches often do not have any or much.

Ok, now I'm really freaked out, because the 10 dollar denoms I managed to get looked weird. They were from the airport, though,so I have a receipt.

I did go to the banks along Tapae gate. Nothing. That's why I was so surprised.

The additional pisser is that I quit my job in protest and the American bossman refused to convert my salary like he does for everyone else. He must have known???

Ok, now I'm really freaked out, because the 10 dollar denoms I managed to get looked weird.

/quote]

If you are really worried about the 10s, try changing one into Baht in a bank here before you go. They are probably ok because the banks usually know and avoid specific dates and issues which are known to be counterfited.

Seems strange to that there are not many $ available. In the past there were lots to be had at the banks along Thapae Road.

along the same lines, does this sound right?

i needed some us$ for visa fees. (often times cheaper than paying in local currencies). so i was going to cash a us$ denominated travellers check into dollars.

i know about the 33 baht fees imposed on tc's so had seperate baht to pay for that.

what i expected was to give a $100 tc and 33 baht and recieve $100 (us) in return.

what they wanted, (of those that would even consider doing it at all), was to cash the tc into baht at the current exchange rate and then reexchange it into us$. and keep the 33 baht as well.

that would have cost much more than i was willing to pay so i did not do it. instead i flew to malaysia, cashed a tc there at exhorbitant malay rates into Mr to pay for my visa, exchanged the remaining Mr into Tb, and flew back. much cheaper that way.... (that's a joke)

anyway, does their way of wanting to do it, double exchange, sound right? should i try another place?

i needed some us$ for visa fees. (often times cheaper than paying in local currencies). so i was going to cash a us$ denominated travellers check into dollars.

i know about the 33 baht fees imposed on tc's so had seperate baht to pay for that.

what i expected was to give a $100 tc and 33 baht and recieve $100 (us) in return.

what they wanted, (of those that would even consider doing it at all), was to cash the tc into baht at the current exchange rate and then reexchange it into us$. and keep the 33 baht as well.

that would have cost much more than i was willing to pay so i did not do it. instead i flew to malaysia, cashed a tc there at exhorbitant malay rates into Mr to pay for my visa, exchanged the remaining Mr into Tb, and flew back. much cheaper that way.... (that's a joke)

anyway, does their way of wanting to do it, double exchange, sound right? should i try another place?

That is pretty much what any bank (outside the U.S.) would do it.

There are two issues here for the bank. Firstly in order for them to update the amount of cash and/or travelers cheques registered in their computer, they will have to record a trade. Secondly cash and travellers simply doesn't have the same value, which is why they have different exchange rates. And since they sell USD cash at a higher exchange rate than they buy travellers cheques they won't just do a swap.

The reason they don't have much USD cash for could be because they won't resell the cash they buy, until it has been through head office for validation. Because of the high number of counterfit USD bills many (European) banks have such a policy, since it wouldn't look good if their customers were arrested for trying to sell fake bills bought from the customers bank back home.

I don't know if Thai banks do this though.

Sophon

I was at the US embassy in Bangkok about 10 days ago and they used an official exchange rate of 38 baht to $1 which looks pretty good if you can pay baht for your visa bill. You should check it out at the place where you will get the visa.

Might be a cheaper way to go. :o

Try SK Money Changer if it is still there, located on the east side of Chareon Prathet Road just a few doors north of Loi Khro. They always have plenty of US$'s. I have bought up to US$10,000 at a time there.