Troubled British tourist falls to death from Chiang Mai condo

webfact

Troubled British tourist falls to death from 15th-floor condo balcony

By The Nation

bt.jpg

Foto: Thai Rath

A British tourist fell to his death from the 15th floor of a Chiang Mai condominium on Sunday night.

Phil Edward Miller Hardwicke, 57, died after landing on a bench next to the third-floor swimming pool at the Lanna 3 Condo on Huay Kaew road in Tambon Chang Phuak, Muang district.

Condo staff told police that the man had been renting the room for several months and lived alone there.

His fall was seen by horrified fellow residents, who were swimming at the time.

Chang Phuak police checked his room and found that it had been locked from the inside. The room was tidy and nothing appeared to have been stolen.

Police also found a diary that he had written about conflicts he had with his family.

The body was sent for a post mortem at Chiang Mai Hospital and the British consular office in Chiang Mai was informed of the incident.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30346413

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-28

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webfact said:

Chang Phuak police checked his room and found that it had been locked from the inside.

The door handle button was pushed, or there was a bolt across from the inside?

Sloppy police work or sloppy reporting?

When I leave my property I lock the door from the inside and my locks are British Yale not some cheap Chinese rubbish so just because the door was locked from the inside proves nothing RIP the deceased only he knows what really happened it amazes me how many times we read about people falling from their balconies in the Kingdom.

34 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

When I leave my property I lock the door from the inside and my locks are British Yale not some cheap Chinese rubbish so just because the door was locked from the inside proves nothing RIP the deceased only he knows what really happened it amazes me how many times we read about people falling from their balconies in the Kingdom.

I can help reduce your sense of amazement. We read almost every report of suicide, particularly within our demographic on tv. In countries such as Australia  and the UK, media deliberately underplays such reporting to discourage so called copycat events.

No need to imply some sort of conspiracy theory.

I woke up this morning feeling troubled. I’m also a Brit on a tourist visa and an LFC fan. But I could never work out how someone could come to the conclusion that suicide is their only way out.  And in the manner of throwing oneself off a balcony. A very selfish act in my opinion, not just for loved ones left behind but anyone who may be unfortunate enough to be under you when you land.  Just go to a pharmacy fcs , plenty of choices for a peaceful delivery into the after life . 

1 hour ago, saakura said:

Why do they choose Thailand to die? Fatal attraction?

Isolation from family and support services. The mind of someone with these mental issues struggles to work through even the smallest of issues resulting in self harm or suicide 

Before we can conclude with anything we need to know more about his past activities. But he wrote a diary so maybe the police can conclude with suicide after reading it. 

R.I.P. 

1 hour ago, saakura said:

Isolation from family and support services. The mind of someone with these mental issues struggles to work through even the smallest of issues resulting in self harm or suicide 

2 hours ago, saakura said:

Most countries do not report on suicides.... That's why it looks high in Thailand, but it happens all over the world

Severely depressed people have minds trapped in a cycle of negativity about their situation. Medication can break the cycle sometimes; however, the person has to seek help.

RIP. Life can get unbearable.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Severely depressed people have minds trapped in a cycle of negativity about their situation. Medication can break the cycle sometimes; however, the person has to seek help.

RIP. Life can get unbearable.

Indeed.

After a serious heart attack in 2014, I developed depression which can be part of the after effects of such cardiac events.

Considering that I was also dealing with a few other health issues at the time it was but for the grace of god that I recognized that there was something terribly wrong and had a chat with a young Thai doctor.

"Depression"she said..

"Depression"I agreed.

You can be roughest,toughest Rambo in the valley and still get hit....

RIP at journey's end.

People who make fun of others who have serious mental/depression are the lowest of the low.

Until you have been there you have no idea what that person is going through.

WELL I HAVE BEEN THERE, yes after my accident being told you will never walk again, never make love with your wife again, i went into the depths of depression.

Yes i was under a psychiatrist at the hspital.

I was going crazy, i hit my wife, hit a nurse, was then strapped down on my bed, for my own safety, and the safety of others.

I was fortunate, my wife helped me through it, a good friend (member on here) spent 8 weeks at my bedside, all day every day when my wife was at work.

He told me 1 day, pull yourself together, only you can fix this, at the time i was angry with him, but hey he was 100% correct, i got through it with a lot of help.

So all you inconsiderate people making snide comments think, but for the grace of GOD go i.

2 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I woke up this morning feeling troubled. I’m also a Brit on a tourist visa and an LFC fan. But I could never work out how someone could come to the conclusion that suicide is their only way out.  And in the manner of throwing oneself off a balcony. A very selfish act in my opinion, not just for loved ones left behind but anyone who may be unfortunate enough to be under you when you land.  Just go to a pharmacy fcs , plenty of choices for a peaceful delivery into the after life . 

Username checks out lol

2 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

He probably wanted a quick death, drugs, especially over the counter drugs, aren't quick or painless, you would need opiates for that, good luck getting that at a pharmacy. A Thai man in my village tried it with an overdose of paracetamol and alcohol, he was found after 24 hours and died in agony after 4 days in the hospital.

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

He probably wanted a quick death, drugs, especially over the counter drugs, aren't quick or painless, you would need opiates for that, good luck getting that at a pharmacy. A Thai man in my village tried it with an overdose of paracetamol and alcohol, he was found after 24 hours and died in agony after 4 days in the hospital.

May as well Go to Cambodia and buy the real deal 

13 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Sounds like hell.

3 hours ago, car720 said:

Thailand is portrayed as a great place to get away from your troubles in life.

Doesn't work.

Exactly, people come here to get away from troubles and start a new life, but they often take their troubles with them then inevitably find themselves even more isolated here than they were at home. 

6 minutes ago, metisdead said:

Some more callous troll posts and the replies have been removed. 

Thank you for that, having been in a situation suffering serious depression, it troubles me seeing nasty insensitive posts, mocking people like this poor man.

Please members have a little more compassion for people in this kind of situation.

24 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

May as well Go to Cambodia and buy the real deal 

maybe get caught buying and land in a Cambodian hell prison for 25 years, anyway Mr. average like myself wouldn't even know where to go to buy an exit pill, so jumping seems the only way out.

Archived