May 28, 20188 yr In a previous post, I related my experience at Bangkok Christian Hospital getting Cortisone injections in both knees for osteo-arthritis pain and promised to report back on the efficacy of the shots. The pain relief was immediate, noticeable even when I was leaving the hospital. Going in, I needed a the assistance of a cane, especially going down stairs and steps. When I left, I was able to walk with little discomfort, steps and stairs no problem. By the next day, I was walking even better, nearly pain free and that has continued for two weeks now. I can descend the damned 45 steps from the BTS platform to the street normally, rather than having to use both feet on each step. I have been comfortably walking one to two km. a day with no discomfort later. Prior to the Cortisone, if I sat in a chair or lay down for more than a few minutes, it would take me at least a full minute to stand up and straighten my legs enough to take a step. Now, no stiffness at all when standing up. I am very aware this is a temporary solution. The Dr. said the effect could last from three to six months and if I over-do things, I can cause more joint damage. The knees will still need to be replaced at some point but the Cortisone injection have certainly bought me time and have given me my mobility back, which is precious. Everybody's case is unique, but if you suffer from knee joint pain and reduced mobility due to osteo-arthritis I urge you to investigate and consult with a decent orthopedic physician and determine if Cortisone would help you. It can be a frustrating process as many local, for profit hospitals immediately want to sell all sorts of expensive diagnostic procedures and consultations. That is what put me off in the past. That is why I am so appreciative of Bangkok Christian Hospital: great service at a very reasonable cost. Edited May 28, 20188 yr by dddave
May 28, 20188 yr Author 5 minutes ago, Sheryl said: Can yo ushare docto'r name? Dr. Somchai Kuptniratsaikul at Bangkok Christian Hosp. He speaks excellent English. Edited May 28, 20188 yr by dddave
December 3, 20187 yr Did you try a medication called mobic? Stopped my painful knees within a few days but on it for lifeGreat the injections worked. I had the same for rotor cuff problems and same result, immediate relief
December 3, 20187 yr thanks for sharing...I'm wondering if these injections are available at government hospitals, district, provincial, military, etc...my MiL has got a bad problem with her knees and could use this treatment...she presently makes do with expensive snake oil and massages...
December 3, 20187 yr immediate relief? Really. Great. I thought it took time.. Days... Have these type of injections improved over the years. Maybe pain relief chemical mixed in.
December 3, 20187 yr Just a thought lads..many years ago professional footballers in the UK had these injections in order to continue their careers resulting in " horror show " effects later in their livesSent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
December 3, 20187 yr It is true that there are downsides to cortisone injections. This has to be wrighed against the benefits.An alternative is injection of hyaluronic acid. Brand name Synvisc.Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
December 5, 20187 yr Author I'm the OP in this topic: now almost nine months later. The full effect of the cortisone shots lasted about four months, then progressively more discomfort returned, especially going down stairs and after sitting a long time. I returned to BCH and Dr Somchai in late September, about five months after the initial shots. He was not optimistic about a second set of shots as I did not show symptoms of substantial inflammation which is what the cortisone actually treats. He ultimately agreed to give it a try but warned that overuse of cortisone can result in deteriorated bones, making the condition worse rather than better. The second series of shots did alleviate the pain but not as dramatically as the first time and the effect did not last nearly as long. A friend from my home city visited in mid-November and we travelled to Cambodia and Vietnam. I had to sit out several days due to knee pain and stiffness while he explored on his own. Now that I understand the dangers of cortisone overuse, I will give Synvisc a try but I am not particularly optimistic and am facing the inevitability of double knee replacement surgery in the not too distant future. Edited December 5, 20187 yr by dddave
Create an account or sign in to comment