do you live in the past or future

opalred

1 hour ago, Dmaxdan said:

As a general rule I live in the present.  When I was a lot younger, I did envy Captain Kirk, but not so much for his interstellar travel,  more for his womanizing.   

The future will not be like Star Trek

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

You're stuck in the Newtonian universe - past, future, and other concepts. 

We're now in a Quantum/Zen universe - only the present, no past, no future.

Think  about it.  

In the block universe, past, present and future are all there together...it is just the illusion of time that separates them...

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

In the block universe, past, present and future are all there together...it is just the illusion of time that separates them...

How can we eliminate the illusion of time? I don't want to go to work tomorrow morning.

Edited by bannork

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

You must have grown up a long long time ago.

In the mid 13th century, apparently.

I would suspect that these ruminations occurred after he was viewing the latest sundial in the 'hood..stamped Pisa,Anno Domini +1244.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, bannork said:

How can we eliminate the illusion of time? I don't want to go to work tomorrow morning.

Simple...in theory...just travel at light speed, and time will stop for you, and you will become immortal...like a photon...

This is actually quite an interesting thread - thinking about how people are coping about new technology- or perhaps harking back to the simpler life in their younger days.

My View - if you can be arsed to post - engage with the people who can be arsed to respond - it’s a forum- to exchange views and respond .

Otherwise - the OP seems to have progressed beyond the horse and cart and can use a modicum of technology? 

2 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

This is actually quite an interesting thread - thinking about how people are coping about new technology- or perhaps harking back to the simpler life in their younger days.

My View - if you can be arsed to post - engage with the people who can be arsed to respond - it’s a forum- to exchange views and respond .

Otherwise - the OP seems to have progressed beyond the horse and cart and can use a modicum of technology? 

Yeah sure..just the sun and a few planets,dirt floors and bag walls..

You ain't the thread boss or censor.

Back to the history books.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

I am pretty old (before WW2) and I lived in a country suburb out of Sydney and although there were several poor families, there were certainly no bag walls or dirt floors.  I'd love to know more about that one. There was however a family who used to career round in a sulky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Considering the amount of information gathered in the posts above, the OP appears to be none other than the famous Highlander, born in the Middle Age, and still among us.

He also can use more than a modicum of technology, since he can actually see trillions of other planets with his telescope while NASA is still guessing their existence by indirect means because of the poor efficiency of its own telescopes.

Otherwise, yes, it could be an interesting thread...

• Like 1

I live in the present - every day. That's the only way to be happy.

There is a lot of new technology and some is very interesting.

I use the new technology which I like to use and not just any new technology or invention.

A good example is facebook: I never used it because I never liked it and it was obvious for anybody who watched what the product is (we, our data).

A new technology (ok, it's not so new anymore) is using navigation programs or maps which show the way from A to B. That is definitely a lot better than maps years ago.

I also read news almost only online because it's up to date.

I don't really care about some space adventure to the mars or further away. Ordinary people won't go there for a long time. There is no point for me in thinking about what might happen in 200 years, I won't be around.

Summary: Live here and now the way you want - it does not matter what others do or want you to do.

15 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yeah sure..just the sun and a few planets,dirt floors and bag walls..

You ain't the thread boss or censor.

Back to the history books.

Of course I am not a censor ( have no idea what a bag wall is) actually have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about

All I am saying if you can be bothered to post - then engage with the forum- and respond.

My impression is that most interesting threads end up with a usual discussion of Thai women, ladyboys, money- more money problems , sex, my brother in law is my wife’s husband, my Mother in law is demanding money, help termites , where can I buy flax seeds? I can’t buy a decent breakfast. Where can I buy a monster rubbish pick up ? Where can I buy a decent pastrami on rye? 

Usually it just boils down to sex - why is that the citizens of that great country the USA are so obsessed?  

I will probably be banned 

its the the truth