do you live in the past or future

opalred

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You definitely live in the past...

Well maybe in this case.

I have travelled all over the world- many friends are amazed I have never been to America- I just don’t want to go - have no interest-weird.

This thread is about living / experiencing the past- growing up not long after the war in England - it was a very grey time.

As kids we used to devour the DC comics- with the ads for Cadillacs etc - it was something from another planet .

My View - look forward - never look back .  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I am responding.

The OP is spouting nonsense in an historical and scientific sense.

However, in terms of technological change I have often thought that my grandmother who was born in 1897 and died in 1971 probably saw more earth shattering changes than what I have.

She saw the first airplane to ever land in Maitland,NSW.

The first electricity,telephone,gramophone,radio,cars...and farewelled two generations off to to the world wars.

She also witnessed the first shag pile carpet being laid-but that falls into a different category of horrors entirely..?

No the point is the OP responds - which I presume is not you ? 

was the planet of the apes here/ or another dimension 

common sense will tell you/ we can only see the distance of the last telescope 

the new telescopes in space soon will see another trillion light years away/  for another trillion suns and planets 

but some people live in the past and believe there is a back fence  like there own  yard /just past our solar system

or as past thought next town

i grew up on the small farms outside of Sydney/  where all family's battled to grow food for there family's

i remember the small shacks made of tin and bags and anything they could find

never got shoes till i was 8yrs but no socks

and my mother was a Wallace her people from the highlands of Scotland/where they breed them tough  

but that was the past /now look at the great future/ where maybe an alien will arrive take away trump to save our planet

1 minute ago, opalred said:

the new telescopes in space soon will see another trillion light years away/  for another trillion suns and planets 

but some people live in the past and believe there is a back fence  like there own  yard /just past our solar system

i grew up on the small farms outside of Sydney/  where all family's battled to grow food for there family's

and my mother was a Wallace her people from the highlands of Scotland/where they breed them tough  

but that was the past /now look at the great future/ where maybe an alien will arrive take away trump to save our planet

The Wallaces were a lowland family.Never went near the highlands.

I am beginning to enjoy what may turn out to be quite a spectacular reverie.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jgarbo said:

You're stuck in the Newtonian universe - past, future, and other concepts. 

We're now in a Quantum/Zen universe - only the present, no past, no future.

Think  about it.  

Er no not quite. Quantum physics says that the past is in the present (that's just another way of stating the most fundamental 'law')

5 minutes ago, opalred said:

I guess you chose "opaired" because it starts with OP, even though your real avatar is "impaired"...

No telescope is going to see a trillion light years away, since the universe is "only" 13.7 billion years old!

Better hold your horses, keep your imagination in check and stop smoking whatever it is that you are smoking...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

However, in terms of technological change I have often thought that my grandmother who was born in 1897 and died in 1971 probably saw more earth shattering changes than what I have.

She saw the first airplane to ever land in Maitland,NSW.

The first electricity,telephone,gramophone,radio,cars...and farewelled two generations off to to the world wars.

She also witnessed the first shag pile carpet being laid-but that falls into a different category of horrors entirely..?

That would be right.

Since the 70s, technology is mostly about making the same things, but smaller and faster.

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, opalred said:

Oh well - at least you have replied . 

Yes the concept of looking out into the universe is that you are looking at events / galaxies/ stars etc that might have existed billions of years ago - the time it takes for the light / information  to reach this tiny planet.

Sorry about the shoes ? I always went to Simpson’s in the Strand .

Once you start to talk about Aliens - I would suggest that  you put on your tin foil - hat.

• Like 1

I am 70 and like you I live in the future except for quantum physics.  That gives me an old-fashioned headache.  Lots of people younger than me ask me questions about tech things.  I read New Atlas (used to be called Gizmag)  every day.   Lots of people think we are far from alone in the universe and we are visited regularly.  I have trouble with the last bit of that only.     However, from my past I remember how to construct sentences, capitalise appropriately and punctuate. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannork said:

How can we eliminate the illusion of time? I don't want to go to work tomorrow morning.

Reduce everything to the smallest quantum energy states. Time appears to be something necessary for the more complex quantum energy states...

1 minute ago, Jonah Tenner said:

Reduce everything to the smallest quantum energy states. Time appears to be something necessary for the more complex quantum energy states...

Well, if you can be become a photon you won't need time at all, ha!

15 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I live in the present where those pesky viruses ruin current technology

Wish I could live in the present, it goes by so bl..dy fast I can't get a grip on it!

• Haha 1

The thread title and the OP are not about the same thing.

Referring to the title, we can only live in the present, but desire to live in the past, or hope for a better future.

For myself, all the good times were in my past, and the future looks dark. No need to guess which I prefer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Referring to the title, we can only live in the present, but desire to live in the past, or hope for a better future.

For myself, all the good times were in my past, and the future looks dark. No need to guess which I prefer.

Wow, stay away from those balcony railings....

Here's hoping you can find a reason to look forward with optimism and enjoy the remaining years. Good luck.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Actually we always look into the past, and move toward the future.

Walking in a street (not necessarily Walking Street), we see the end of the street as it WAS a few fractions of a second before, because of the time it has taken to light to reach us...and at the same time we are moving toward the end of this same street thinking about what we WILL do once having reached it.

In fact the present barely exists, being just a furtive link between past and future.

Anyway, like you and most baby boomers I much prefer the past than the present and would rather not even think about the future...too many dark clouds...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Yes it would. Put a spirit level on the top centre of a football and it would still work.

It would fall off.  That's my point.  I'm not sure you know much about football.

I guess that I am much more attuned now to the circularity of (psychological) time rather than the illusion of linear (progress) time.I really do not want to see a beautiful stand of eucalypts turned into another Bunnings carpark in the cause of a progress that I no longer identify with.

I understand now what my grand aunt experienced when we took her to France in 1978 and she knelt at her brother's grave and cried her heart out...killed in action at Mont St Quentin in 1918 during the 100 days to Victory.To her it was but yesterday.

Now,40 years later I too am turning back and I am quite comfortable in the knowledge that many generations have preceded me along this path.It is a natural thing to do.

5 hours ago, swissie said:

Call me a sentimental old fool, but I liked the past.

There was a time when the husband provided for wife and kids. Enabeling the wife to stay home and provide a secure environment to raise the offspring. Passing on certain "do's and dont's". (Values).
The wages paid, enabled the family to accumulate enough money to buy a home, surrounded by a white picket fence. Thats why I like the past. (short version).

And today, the present? Both parents must chase the Dollar to keep the bills paid. Having to "outsource" the kids to day-care centers, where they will be raised within a framework of "political-correctness". Preparing them to the fact that 10% of the population owns 70% af all the assets and are trained to find this "perfectly normal". (Official statistics for Germany, 2018). So much for the present.

The Future? With instant Face and Voice recognition everywhere commonplace? "Big brother" 24/7 at my side? It sends cold shivers down my spine.
Again, call me an old sentimental fool, but I liked the past better than the present, not to speak of the future.
Cheers.

Back in 1970, I paid off a house mortgage in 18 months. I have not been in debt to anyone for over 40 years, have never owned a credit card. When I say that, people look at me as if they are wondering what I am injecting.

On the other hand, I probably would not be alive if medical science had not advanced since that time.

The technology we are surrounded with is amazing. My phone is smarter than I am. I surf entertainment and post on this forum with a large desktop my son built for me. Cars are getting their own decision-making computers.

The only downside I see is that the most successful people are increasingly the most successful liars.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1