Why the English Fry Up is so symbolic of the Western Expat in Pattaya

webfact

48 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

And there you have total opposites within a space of 20m...

The Haven = top quality products cooked perfectly with an excellently brewed coffee

Retox = cheap products, overcooked, floating in oil with a warm brown liquid (It also comes with an orange warm liquid too)

It is up to the individual to decide which one is "English"...

The Haven brekkie looks remarkably like the Retox one. They even have the overly sweetened "orange juice" (we need to go to Cambodia to get real orange juice!).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

The Haven brekkie looks remarkably like the Retox one. They even have the overly sweetened "orange juice" (we need to go to Cambodia to get real orange juice!).

The breakfast I have in Haven doesn't include an "orange juice"... The two breakfasts may look the same ...(no they don't, but I'll run with your eyesight) They are completely different tastes and quality .....but that is just my opinion and I don't eat farang food that often so I will defer to you. Although it seems the masses of sheeple like Retox but I will never go there for food again...never...

14 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

The breakfast I have in Haven doesn't include an "orange juice"... The two breakfasts may look the same ...(no they don't, but I'll run with your eyesight) They are completely different tastes and quality .....but that is just my opinion and I don't eat farang food that often so I will defer to you. Although it seems the masses of sheeple like Retox but I will never go there for food again...never...

OK, I just saw a picture of the Haven brekkie on their website that does have an OJ, as happens sometimes here, the actual food is quite different to the photo. Also, as I said, it seems impossible to get real orange juice in Thailand, unlike Cambodia.

On 5/29/2018 at 11:19 AM, AYJAYDEE said:

I wonder if other nationalities are so concerned about finding what they left behind when they emigrate? Somehow I doubt it! Brits are a weird lot!

Few British ex pats seek out full English breakfasts as the availability has long since failed to be of interest. Most of them realise that they are too fat already and are beginning to wise up and at least attempt to diet. I know several UK ex pats in Pattaya and not one of them eats these breakfasts, most of'em settle for cereal, sardines on toast or muesli. It's the British tourists and holiday makers who head for the 99 and 129 baht gut busters.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/29/2018 at 7:56 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

You just haven't had one in a decent restaurant. The place I get big breakfasts in Pattaya has lovely snags.

What's wrong with adding some HP sauce to the baked beans? A decent restaurant will have such as standard.

What is a myth though, is that they cost 99 baht. I haven't seen a proper one at that price in years.

Retox, Soi Lengkee?

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

OK, I just saw a picture of the Haven brekkie on their website that does have an OJ, as happens sometimes here, the actual food is quite different to the photo. Also, as I said, it seems impossible to get real orange juice in Thailand, unlike Cambodia.

I tried the Haven 100 Baht brekkie yesterday and it was dismal. You get what you pay for and 100 Baht isn't much. No OJ, by the way.

I reccommend The Swan's on Soi Yamoto, 189 Baht.

• Like 1

The Retox 99B breakfast is entirely acceptable for the price. Nothing wrong with it at all, apart perhaps from the number of calories in it and the type of coffee used - I drink the tea which is fine. It is very similar to many other English breakfasts that are sold around town for anything up to 199B, so why pay more?

The orange juice in particular is the same as that sold by many other places, and is significantly better than the so-called juice provided at some other establishments.

Few British ex pats seek out full English breakfasts as the availability has long since failed to be of interest. Most of them realise that they are too fat already and are beginning to wise up and at least attempt to diet. I know several UK ex pats in Pattaya and not one of them eats these breakfasts, most of'em settle for cereal, sardines on toast or muesli. It's the British tourists and holiday makers who head for the 99 and 129 baht gut busters.
I must be the exception. 13 years here, and I still seek out places for good English fry-ups. That said, I usually cook one myself once a week - just wish proper English back-bacon was easier to get hold of.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

3 hours ago, champers said:

I tried the Haven 100 Baht brekkie yesterday and it was dismal. You get what you pay for and 100 Baht isn't much. No OJ, by the way.

I reccommend The Swan's on Soi Yamoto, 189 Baht.

Some years ago myself & a friend decided that every week or 2 we'd visit a different expat pub in Bangkok looking for what we thought was the best brekkie, we visited 10 pubs in all.

Retox in Pattaya is probably as good as the best one in BKK, just for less than half the price, which would be around 260+ Baht in BKK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2018 at 11:43 AM, poanoi said:

that dish is only representative of english i think,

i eat neither beans nor sausage

Who cares?

Brits like it, so whats your problem? anywhere they go it’s there for them... are you envious that the Brits are taken care of more than any other nation? 

Brit bashing time...aaaand begin

On 5/29/2018 at 12:11 PM, Andrew65 said:

Many people in London, Paris, New York maybe Dubai, have never 'bean' to Pattaya, so there wouldn't be mucsh-room for discussions on english fry-ups, they'd probably be left with 'egg on their faces', unable to 'bring home the bacon', 'they'd be 'toast' in Sin-City!!??

and considering the women in those countries, they more likely to be 'slappin the salami' rather than playing 'hide the sausage'

On 5/29/2018 at 12:12 PM, AYJAYDEE said:

perhaps but I have never known any nationality so obsessed with their previous home as the Brits

And you have a problem with that?

the whole world loves Brits, and they want to take care of us. Because we are worth taking care of.  Bit of jealousy in your tone, I feel..

baht buster anyone..??? They know how to look after us, eh? ??

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Who cares?

Brits like it, so whats your problem? anywhere they go it’s there for them... are you envious that the Brits are taken care of more than any other nation? 

no, the troll stated beans & sausage was so symbolic for western expats,

i say he only represents himself and perhaps other brits,

it sure dont represent me cause i aint eating that shit

and same goes for being 50% homosexual

Edited by poanoi

9 hours ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Who cares?

squeaky wheels and grease?

9 hours ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

And you have a problem with that?

the whole world loves Brits, and they want to take care of us. Because we are worth taking care of.  Bit of jealousy in your tone, I feel..

baht buster anyone..??? They know how to look after us, eh? ??

help wanted signs in western Canada used to add "English need not apply"

4 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

help wanted signs in western Canada used to add "English need not apply"

....I'd just put on my best Scottish, Irish or Welsh accent!??

(I do accents quite well).

Also, if I were being critical of say Spanish or German (blood sausage anyone!?) dishes, I'd expect to have lots of Spanish & German people telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:26 AM, KittenKong said:

No myth about the price at Retox. It includes everything one would expect to have in an English breakfast, complete with a sachet of sauce.

I scorn places that think it's appropriate to provide a "sachet" of sauce. It's a pathetic amount. Not for nothing do decent restaurants provide bottles of sauce and fast food restaurants in LOS have sauce pumps.

I don't eat at "cheap and miserable" restaurants that only offer a sachet to dine in customers.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I scorn places that think it's appropriate to provide a "sachet" of sauce. It's a pathetic amount. Not for nothing do decent restaurants provide bottles of sauce and fast food restaurants in LOS have sauce pumps.

I don't eat at "cheap and miserable" restaurants that only offer a sachet to dine in customers.

On British Rail first class travel they give you sachets of HP sauce, to me how they give me HP sauce is immaterial as long as l get it.....5170.gif.59fbdbbee1a53691fa746a5efd0951d7.gif

• Like 2

Just now, transam said:

On British Rail first class travel they give you sachets of HP sauce, to me how they give me HP sauce is immaterial as long as l get it.....5170.gif.59fbdbbee1a53691fa746a5efd0951d7.gif

Wasn't aware there is a BR. I thought it was all individual companies.

I passed by the 1st class carriages of Virgin on my recent rail journey in the UK, and I had to wonder what was so great about it to pay the extra.

On 5/30/2018 at 3:53 AM, bermondburi said:

You ever traveled round a few countries with  a Thai? I have, and one of the most important daily tasks was working out where the next Thai-compatible food was coming from. Same same but different. IMO Thais are even worse than the Brits in needing there own food. Brits eat rice. Try getting Thais to live off potatoes for a few days!

maybe your mate, but certainly not one i have chosen to spend time travelling with.

and i wouldnt live off potatoes for a few days either. why would i?

seems to me daniel cheddar gets the dinosaurs typing, certainly hit the mark with this last topic.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

Wasn't aware there is a BR. I thought it was all individual companies.

I passed by the 1st class carriages of Virgin on my recent rail journey in the UK, and I had to wonder what was so great about it to pay the extra.

Think the vid I watched was Virgin...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ooh, bangers and mash, fish and chips, hash browns, lamb and roast potatoes, yum.

I could certainly live off potatoes for all my life.

Every day for me.......?

• Like 1

How many brits are left in Pattaya anyway? Older pensioneers are dropping like flies, families are escaping the abysmal education system and good old mongers seem a scarce resource.

Other than them, I don't think I've ever heard any one jumping with excitement over British grub. Most like myself avoid it and go for better Italian, Thai, US, German etc. choices.

Hardly a Pattaya symbol.

English Trans perfect "English breakfast"....

Grapefruit with a little sugar...followed bye....

Rashers of bacon, fried bread using the bacon fat, soft fried eggs, fried tomatoes and a sausage (not frankfurters)...Perhaps a few baked beans but not bothered....

followed bye toast and Marmalade with a few cups of tea...:stoner:

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Apparently a well known blogger about LOS, though I never heard of him till TVF started posting his threads.

Just over 800 subscribers. Maybe well known but not well folowed.

Must be rubbing somebodys back as he always on here and other vloggers with 10s of thousands arent ever.

• Haha 1

Well, you could always ask for more sachets.

Personally I assumed that the sachets were for hygiene purposes, and also possibly as proof that the sauce was authentic. Those bottles and pumps you get in the HiSo places you prefer could have anything in them, and probably do.
  • Like 2