British woman suffered stroke after spending 14 hours on cramped bus in Thailand

webfact

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Take a cold shower, knock one out or  head off to a go-go bar .

You need to get it out your system

Thanks for your proposal and helping hand, but not for today, if you don't mind ?

Edited by observer90210

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, trd said:

She was paralyzed and now she's made a full recovery and running?

Not hard to believe. The initial effects of a stroke normally get better over time, how much better depends on many factors such as where in the brain the stroke occurred, how large the blockage was, how quickly treatment is started, if rehab therapy  occurs, and of course many other age and health related factors.

34 minutes ago, NetJunkie said:

Exactly, I think the importance of the story is the accuracy, and this story is clearly misleading.

American submariners complain of cramped conditions aboard ship......(well not actually Americans, Chinese, but it is all the same isn't it?).

No.... because a submarine is nothing like a mini-van a but or anywhere else designed for mass or budget transport. 

Anywhere people are unable to move for extended periods of time they are placed at risk of DVT, PE and further consequences of these such as Strokes and heart attacks. 

The specifics of which country this lady was in is far less important than the fact that she was in a cramped vehicle for 14 hours.... she could have been in Timbuktu or Songhkla... the risks of traveling in cramped conditions for extended periods of time is the key issue in this story. 

The specifics of which country this lady was in is far less important than the fact that she was in a cramped vehicle for 14 hours.... 

A bus will travel for 14 hours non stop?...and if it DID stop, the passengers could always get down and walk around, isn't it? But sometimes... some people just curl up and sleep.

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

I speak as a retired physician who has dealt with strokes. This lovely lady clearly suffered a very tiny stroke, or she would not have recovered. It is quite unusual that a person of her age should have suffered this. The fact that she had"a hole in her heart"  most likely contributed to the condition more then did riding on a crowded bus.The blood clot far more likely formed in her heart than in her leg.

• Like 2

I know guys that are cheap charlies take the bus there.

Older guys probably not the best shape for a long bus ride.

Hey, Air Asia has a promotion for a few days BKK to Cambodia about 30 bucks.

Bite the bullet.....

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I know guys that are cheap charlies take the bus there.

I take the bus when it's convenient.

Flying ain't that good for us old guys either, had a few swollen legs on recent flights, not because of the length of journey, but the cabin pressure.

You just can't win.

On 5/29/2018 at 4:52 PM, bapoboy said:

It seems like brits In  general are very unhealthy and weak, they make up the majority of incidents in Thailand.

So she was sittimg on a bus 14 hours straight? Strange, last time I took that bus, the bus stopped for 10 minutes every 4 hours+ At the immigration.

1. It did not shocked me at all it was a Brit, world champions in moaning, drinking and fighting.

2. If she had trouble with her health, don’t be <deleted> stupid travel arround the world, get your treatment In your home country, don’t risk your life abroad.

Thais 'make up the majority of incidents in Thailand' - you do get the random odd ball foreign 'incident' to which of course would never apply to a person of your high standing morals and impressive quality candour.

• Haha 2

On 5/29/2018 at 7:23 AM, mekko said:

Please tell me it wasn't a thai hospital exclusively that made this diagnosis. I know of friends to be told they had cancer only for another hospital to say it's not - it wasn't (as time has proven).  Second opinions back home required imo

My mate from Gateshead was told he had cancer off a UK hospital so sold his business house everything went to Thailand blow the lot come back to Blighty to be told they were mistaking so has had to go back to graft.

On 5/29/2018 at 12:48 PM, Jeremy50 said:

Poor girl, those third world bus marathons are a nightmare, thankfully she has made a full recovery. Sitting anywhere for 14 hours is unnatural, and dangerous to your health. Our bodies are made for movement, and plenty of it. Never take a bus if a train is an option, try to get an aisle seat on a plane so it is easier to walk around. loosen your belt and other tight accoutrements. 

No break on a 14 hour bus ride? Come on. A six hour bus ride has toilet and food breaks. And what is the "hole in the heart"? This girl already had medical problems before the bus ride.