Thai Newspaper Headlines

meadish_sweetball

I am glad you find it helpful. J Let me try this one.

กิจกรรมพับกระดาษรับคริสมาสคะ ใกล้คริสมาสแล้วคะ หากิจกรรมมาสอนเด็ก ๆ รับคริสมาสกันหน่อยดีกว่า ไฮไลท์ของวันนี้คงไม่พ้น คุณลุงซานต้า และ ต้น คริสมาสแน่ ๆ คะ

Greeting Christmas with origami activities. Let’s look for activities to greet Christmas with the kids. The highlight of this day would not be anything other then [Origami] Santa Clause and Christmas Tree.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
How about "My hovercraft is full of eels" ? :)

What?? :D

I saw some Monty Python sketches with Spanish subtitles, how about if we try to do the same in Thai between us here?!

I reckon we could make an amusing 'Mr Bean boogies his way through Bangkok' movie too, if we put our heads together for enough skits!

• 1 month later...

This isn't a headline exactly but the beginning of a story. How did I do Rakloke? Did I get it about right?

สู้อุตส่าห์เก็บเงินก้อนโต กัดฟันซื้อรถด้วยเงินสดกว่า 900,000 บาท

หวังใช้ทำมาหากิน ไม่คิดรถคู่ชีพตกเป็นเป้าโจร

ถูกฉกไปต่อหน้าต่อตา

สู้อุตส่าห์เก็บเงินก้อนโต

they fought diligently to collect the big lump of money

เงินก้อนโต colloquiallism for savings?

กัดฟันซื้อรถด้วยเงินสดกว่า 900,000 บาท

gnashing their teeth to pay cash

กัดฟัน colloquiallism for work very hard?

หวังใช้ทำมาหากิน

hoping to use it to find something to eat

ทำมาหากิน colloquialism for work? use as work truck?

ไม่คิดรถคู่ชีพตกเป็นเป้าโจร

never thinking it would be the target of thieves

รถคู่ชีพ work truck?

ถูกฉกไปต่อหน้าต่อตา

got stolen right in front of their face

(I / He/ She / They) has / have perserveringly collected the big lump of money.

กัดฟันซื้อรถด้วยเงินสด 900,000 บาท

I think กัดฟัน here is an idiom meaning to decide to buy a truck / car (after long collection of 900,000 baht).

หวังใช้ทำมาหากิน

ทำมาหากิน is also an idiom meaning to make a living.

its correct Thai should be ไม่คิดว่ารถคู่ชีพจะตกเป็นเป้าของโจร I agree with your translation.

รถคู่ชีพ indispensable truck

ต่อหน้าต่อตา is an idiom which I don't know it in English. But it indicates the circumstance when the truck has been stolen while its owner was at the scene. He / She witnessed the stealing.

Hope this helps.

All the best

I think กัดฟัน here is an idiom meaning to decide to buy a truck / car (after long collection of 900,000 baht).

หวังใช้ทำมาหากิน

its correct Thai should be ไม่คิดว่ารถคู่ชีพจะตกเป็นเป้าของโจร I agree with your translation.

ต่อหน้าต่อตา is an idiom which I don't know it in English. But it indicates the circumstance when the truck has been stolen while its owner was at the scene. He / She witnessed the stealing.

Hope this helps.

All the best

หวังใช้ทำมาหากิน

Hope this helps.

All the best

Thanks , that helps. I was having some trouble with คู่ thinking more like to be paired with. But indispensable works well.

In the line below from something else, I'd now read it as the elephant being indispensable with homes and cities.

ช้างไทย ถือว่า เป็นสัตว์คู่บ้านคู่เมือง มาแต่โบราณกาล

I just got the meaning of "indispensable" from the dict. I am unsure of its meaning. Can you define its meaning to me? And I'll tell you whether that meaning is correct or not.

ช้างไทยถือว่าเป็นสัตว์คู่บ้านคู่เมิองมาแต่โบราณกาล

I think บ้านเมือง here means Thailand as a country, not homes and cities. It is a Thai idiom.

The elephant has been regarded as the indispensable animal of the country(Thailand) from ancient time(until now it still has).

I just got the meaning of "indispensable" from the dict. I am unsure of its meaning. Can you define its meaning to me? And I'll tell you whether that meaning is correct or not.

ช้างไทยถือว่าเป็นสัตว์คู่บ้านคู่เมิองมาแต่โบราณกาล

I think บ้านเมือง here means Thailand as a country, not homes and cities. It is a Thai idiom.

The elephant has been regarded as the indispensable animal of the country(Thailand) from ancient time(until now it still has).

"Indispensable" is something that is absolutely necessary and cannot be disgarded.

"ช้างไทยถือว่าเป็นสัตว์คู่บ้านคู่เมิองมาแต่โบราณกาล"

I don't think "indispensable" is the best translation for "คู่" in this sentence, perhaps "inseperable" fits better?

"Inseperable" is something that cannot be seperated.

From RID;

คู่บ้านคู่เมือง - ว. ที่เป็นของประจําบ้านเมืองหรือที่มีมาพร้อมกับบ้านเมือง ถือว่าเป็นของที่มีค่ามาก เช่น พระพุทธรูปคู่บ้านคู่เมือง.

คู่ชีพ - ว. ประจําตัว ไปไหนไปด้วยกัน เช่น ม้าคู่ชีพ ดาบคู่ชีพ.

From Dr.Wit's Thai-English dictionary;

คู่บ้านคู่เมือง(ว.) ประจำเมือง, ซึ่งมีค่าพร้อมกับบ้านเมือง. adj. respectable, characteristic of the nation, national.

คู่ชีพ(ว.) ประจำตัว. adj. personal, taken along with.

What is yore, Garry?

I guess the term must be used to refer to a long time ago.

Apparently, it comes from the same root as the word 'year'

World English Dictionaryyore (jɔː) dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif n1.time long past (now only in the phrase of yore ) adv2.obsolete in the past; long ago [Old English geāra, genitive plural of gēar year ; see hour ]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition

2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins

Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009

Cite This Source

• 2 weeks later...

What is yore, Garry?

I guess the term must be used to refer to a long time ago.

Apparently, it comes from the same root as the word 'year'

World English Dictionaryyore (jɔː) dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif n1.time long past (now only in the phrase of yore ) adv2.obsolete in the past; long ago [Old English geāra, genitive plural of gēar year ; see hour ]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition

2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins

Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009

Cite This Source

Thanks biff.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

"ชี้เหตุ = [H]chii [L]heed ... This is typical newspaper jargon. I still do not have a good translation for it, and thai2english does not combine the two as one expression in their division either. The basic construction is easy enough - ชี้ = to point (out); indicate; mark; show; direct + เหตุ = cause, reason; by reason of; due to."

ชี้เหตุอัปยศ might translate here as "a disgraceful ruling" by the referee.

• 5 months later...

อดีตประมงอำเภอเฮง!ถูกรางวัลที่1

อดีตประมงอำเภอขนอม จ.นครศรีธรรมราช ดวงเฮงสุดๆ หลังถูกแม่ค้าแผงล๊อตเตอรี่คะยั้นคะยอให้ช่วยซื้อ หลังผลสลากออก กลับถึงกับอึ้ง เมื่อถูกรางวัลที่ 1 รับเงิน 18 ล้านบาท

Former civil servant fisherman very lucky! Wins top prize.

A former civil servant fisherman from Amphoe Khanom, Nakhon Si Thammarat is most fortunate after being prodded by a lottery ticket peddler to help out and buy some tickets. After the numbers came out, he was speechless at having won first prize of 18 million baht.

สลด"ม้าสีหมอก"ตื่นคนวิ่งชนรถตู้ หน้าอกฉีกขาดดับคาที่

Sad. "maseemok" (horse color fog) spooked, runs into van, injures chest, dies on the spot.

• 7 months later...

ตร.ดส.จับเตร็ดเตร่เร่ค้าประเวณี

Police from the Center for the Protection of Women and Children arrest street walkers selling prostitution

ตำรวจกองกำกับการสวัสดิภาพเด็กและสตรี ระดมกวาดล้างจับกุมกลุ่มชายและหญิงที่เตร็ดเตร่เร่ค้าประเวณี ได้ผู้ต้องหาจำนวน 72 ราย เป็น ชาย 3 ราย หญิง 53 ราย และสาวประเภทสอง 16 ราย

Police from the Center for the Protection of Women and Children came together in a sweep to arrest a group of men and women street walkers selling prostitution. Among the 72 suspects arrested were 3 men, 53 women, and 16 transgender women.

ผู้ต้องหาฆ่า ด.ต.เมืองพิจิตร-ถูกยิงดับกลางสี่แยกหมอเลี้ยง-ตร.เชื่อฆ่าตัดตอน

The suspect in the killing of a Phichit Police Senior Sergeant Major was shot dead in the middle of Mo Liang intersection. Police believe it was an extrajudicial killing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello readers,

I've started to get back into reading newspapers online. This is my first one for a while, i've attached a Word document with the story as text, a link to the story and any vocabulary i had to look up while reading it. I hope it's useful for anyone who likes reading news. I'm not sure of the level, but probably intermediate.

Enjoy

News - Teacher from Chula gets 13 years.docx

• 6 months later...

โจรขู่กดบึ้มชิงเงินแบงก์อ้างประชดชีวิตเสเพล

The headline from a story about a guy who robs a bank with a fake bomb.

What I was interested in is ประชดชีวิต which I’ve seen a few times before.

So, in the headline - Robber threatens to push the button swipes the banks

money and อ้างประชดชีวิตเสเพล ? TIA for any replies.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

โจรขู่กดบึ้มชิงเงินแบงก์อ้างประชดชีวิตเสเพล

The headline from a story about a guy who robs a bank with a fake bomb.

What I was interested in is ประชดชีวิต which I’ve seen a few times before.

So, in the headline - Robber threatens to push the button swipes the banks

money and อ้างประชดชีวิตเสเพล ? TIA for any replies.

Mole should reply to this one really, like you ,I've seen ประชดชีวิต many times and it's always about someone doing something to hurt themselves to take revenge against someone, ie a jilted lover slashes his/her wrists ' I bet you're sorry you left me now' sort of feeling, เสเพล means debauched, dissolute so I guess it means he felt his life had been wasted so why not rob the bank with a fake bomb, translating something like

' saying he had nothing to lose (because of failure in life'),

'saying he didn't give a f....'

It's a good query Klons

Archived