Thai Newspaper Headlines

meadish_sweetball

Friends,

I need a bit of assistance again for Professor Nithi's most recent article in Matichon Weekly. He is discussing the political issues involving the expansion of a smelting site. The sentence leading into my question says:

"ความสมานฉันท์จึงเป็นคำที่มีเสน่ห์ทางการเมือง และทุกฝ่ายต่างใช้คำนี้เพื่อยึดกุมอำนาจทางการเมืองได้สูงสุด"

"The word 'harmony or unanimity' is a very seductive word in the political context and each faction utilizes this term in order to obtain for itself the most political power that it possibly can."

Professor Nithi then goes on to say:

"แต่ขงเบ้งย่อมใช้คำอื่น เพื่อให้ฟังดูลึกซึ้งกว่าคำของโลซกและจิวยี่ นั่นคือโซ่ข้อกลาง"

The term "โซ่ข้อกลาง", literally means, "the middle link in a chain" but in this context it might be better rendered, "the vital link" or "the key connection."

My suspicion is that the sentence in question above references Chinese words or persons; but, this is just a guess. Any thoughts?

[bTW, have any of you read John LeCarre's "The Mission Song"? What a great story about the perils of translating and interpreting.]

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have followed politics news a few months back, you would know that the term "โซ่ข้อกลาง" was started using by General Chawalit Yongchaiyut who was named as 'ขงเบ้งเมืองไทย'. It's his theory to be the middle link in a chain for joining two other links. In this case, two other links are two political sides which separate Thai people right now. He thought that by this theory Thai people would be able to reconcile and be united again.

AS for your question, the political situation in Thailand right now is compared with a story in Chinese literature, Three Kingdoms (สามก๊ก). ขงเบ้ง โลซก and จิวยี่ are the main characters in this story. This story is a great story. There is a saying, if anyone read this story completely three times, that person could not be associated with. :o

Dear Khun Yoot,

Thank you for that explanation. ขงเบ้ง โลซก and จิวยี่ could become part of our vocabulary if these characters represent any moral or ethical principle, like Chaucer's characters. Can the names, therefore, be used as metaphors in polite, literate conversation?

As to the reference to the "vital link" in Prof. Nithi's article, I believe this reference make the context clear"

"และเพราะนักการเมืองที่ได้อำนาจหลังรัฐธรรมนูญฉบับนั้นล้วนอิงแอบอยู่กับฝ่ายทุนอย่างแนบแน่น

รัฐจึงไม่เป็นโซ่ข้อกลางที่จะสร้างความสมานฉันท์อันแท้จริงระหว่างทุนและชาวบ้าน "

"Because virtually all of the politicians who attained power after the [promulgation] of the constitution are almost certainly dependent on the funding of [the money-men], the government cannot [function] as the crucial link to create real unity between these money-men and the ordinary people."

I would appreciate any corrections to this translation attempt. (Remember, this is about language, not politics.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have three questions regarding the following sentences:

"พล.อ.สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน คงคิดว่านี่คือการตัดรากถอนโคน "ทักษิณ" ไม่ให้กลับมามีอำนาจทางการเมืองอีกครั้งหนึ่ง แต่วันนี้ พล.อ.สนธิ คงรู้แล้วว่าเขาคิดผิด "ทักษิณ" มีพลานุภาพทางการเมืองเกินกว่าที่เขาจะคาดคิด "

"General Sonthi Bunyarakalin thought that he had accomplished the complete uprooting of "Thaksin" by prevented him from returning to political power. But General Sonthi now knows that he was mistaken. Thaksin has accumulated even more political strength than what the general estimated."

The first question regards the meaning of the phrase "ตัดรากถอนโคน"; does this phrase mean "uproot" in a metaphorical sense? Second, what does the word "พลานุภาพ" mean? I can't find it in any of the dictionaries I have. Finally, in the phrase "ที่เขาจะคาดคิด" does the pronoun refer to General Sonthi (as in the above rendering) or to Thanksin ("greater than even he himself considered possible")?

Any corrects on the attempt at translation would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have three questions regarding the following sentences:

"พล.อ.สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน คงคิดว่านี่คือการตัดรากถอนโคน "ทักษิณ" ไม่ให้กลับมามีอำนาจทางการเมืองอีกครั้งหนึ่ง แต่วันนี้ พล.อ.สนธิ คงรู้แล้วว่าเขาคิดผิด "ทักษิณ" มีพลานุภาพทางการเมืองเกินกว่าที่เขาจะคาดคิด "

"General Sonthi Bunyarakalin thought that he had accomplished the complete uprooting of "Thaksin" by prevented him from returning to political power. But General Sonthi now knows that he was mistaken. Thaksin has accumulated even more political strength than what the general estimated."

The first question regards the meaning of the phrase "ตัดรากถอนโคน"; does this phrase mean "uproot" in a metaphorical sense? Second, what does the word "พลานุภาพ" mean? I can't find it in any of the dictionaries I have. Finally, in the phrase "ที่เขาจะคาดคิด" does the pronoun refer to General Sonthi (as in the above rendering) or to Thanksin ("greater than even he himself considered possible")?

Any corrects on the attempt at translation would be appreciated. Thanks.

ตัดรากถอนโคน- eradicate or literally translate 'uproot' in a metaphorical sense.

พลานุภาพ is a compound word 'พละ (strength)+ อานุภาพ(power)'

ที่เขาจะคาดคิด - the pronoun refer to General Sondhi.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of sentences and questions from Friday's Matichon:

. . . โดยเฉพาะการกระชากเก้าอี้รัฐมนตรีจาก "ว่าที่พรรคร่วมรัฐบาล" ซึ่ง "ปิดดีล" ไปก่อนหน้านี้ 3 พรรค รับโควต้าเสนาบดีไปอย่างน้อย 4-5 กระทรวง

. . . especially carving out a few Ministerial seats from positions designated for parties joining in the formation a government. Each wants to "close the deal" before the three parties receive their quotas of ministerial positions in at least 4 - 5 Ministries.

อย่าลืมว่าการผนึกกำลังเป็นแนวร่วมทางการเมืองเดียวกันของ ชท.-พผ. ส่วนหนึ่งเพื่อดิ้นหนีการอยู่โยงเป็นฝ่ายค้านกับ "พรรคสะตอ"

Don't forget that one of the reasons for Chart Thai and Phua Paen Din to combine forces to become political allies is to wriggle out of becoming part of the opposition group with the Democratic Party, a primarily Southern institution.

Several questions:

1. Is there a difference between the term "เสนาบด" and "รัฐมนตรี" in this context? Why use the older term? Or, does the sentence mean to imply that there are other valuable positions for coalition party leaders within the government other than the Cabinet Minister positions? Note that the first sentence contains both terms.

2. Is the translation of the sentence correct? I am again having syntax problems with this sentence.

3. It seems that the Democrat Party is being called "พรรคสะตอ", the party of the stoh bean. Is this similar to the French being called "garlic eaters" and does it reflect the primary Southern support and origin of the current party?

4. I have not seen the phrase "ดิ้นหนีการอยู่โยงเป็นฝ่ายค้าน" before. Is the above interpretation correct, essentially, "struggling to escape becoming part of the opposition party "?

Thanks.

A couple of sentences and questions from Friday's Matichon:

. . . โดยเฉพาะการกระชากเก้าอี้รัฐมนตรีจาก "ว่าที่พรรคร่วมรัฐบาล" ซึ่ง "ปิดดีล" ไปก่อนหน้านี้ 3 พรรค รับโควต้าเสนาบดีไปอย่างน้อย 4-5 กระทรวง

. . . especially carving out a few Ministerial seats from positions designated for parties joining in the formation a government. Each wants to "close the deal" before the three parties receive their quotas of ministerial positions in at least 4 - 5 Ministries.

. . . especially carving out Ministerial seats from 'parties joining in the formation a government' which have closed the deal before. The three parties got their quotas of misnisterial positions in at least 4-5 Ministries.

อย่าลืมว่าการผนึกกำลังเป็นแนวร่วมทางการเมืองเดียวกันของ ชท.-พผ. ส่วนหนึ่งเพื่อดิ้นหนีการอยู่โยงเป็นฝ่ายค้านกับ "พรรคสะตอ"

Don't forget that one of the reasons for Chart Thai and Phua Paen Din to combine forces to become political allies is to wriggle out of becoming part of the opposition group with the Democratic Party, a primarily Southern institution. (This party is called "พรรคสะตอ" because they got voted from people in the south the most and the majority of the present leader members are from the south. It's not a primarily Southern institution.)

Several questions:

1. Is there a difference between the term "เสนาบด" and "รัฐมนตรี" in this context? Why use the older term? Or, does the sentence mean to imply that there are other valuable positions for coalition party leaders within the government other than the Cabinet Minister positions? Note that the first sentence contains both terms.

- No, there is no difference between the term '"เสนาบดี" and "รัฐมนตรี" in this context.

- They use the older term just for making the article look interesting.

- The sentence does not mean to imply anything, it's just a simple interchangeable word.

2. Is the translation of the sentence correct? I am again having syntax problems with this sentence.

- See above

3. It seems that the Democrat Party is being called "พรรคสะตอ", the party of the stoh bean. Is this similar to the French being called "garlic eaters" and does it reflect the primary Southern support and origin of the current party?

- It reflects the primary Southern support and the origin of the present leader members.

4. I have not seen the phrase "ดิ้นหนีการอยู่โยงเป็นฝ่ายค้าน" before. Is the above interpretation correct, essentially, "struggling to escape becoming part of the opposition party "?

- Yes, your interpretation is correct.

Thanks.

From the weekend Matichon:

"อย่างไรก็ตาม การที่กฎหมายกำหนดให้ภายใน 30 วันหลังเลือกตั้ง กกต. ต้องรับรองการเป็น ส.ส. ให้กับผู้สมัครที่ได้รับเลือก หากเรื่องเรียนใดยังสอบสวนไม่เสร็จก็ต้อง "ปล่อยผี" ไปก่อน จากนั้นค่อยตาม "สอย" ทีหลัง"

What do the terms "ปล่อยผี" and "สอย" mean in this context?

assuming you understand the rest of the sentence:

"ปล่อยผี" = let it go

"สอย" = hmm.. collect or harvest. for example, สอยมะม่วง is when you pick the mangos off a tree using that long stick with a sharp blade & basket at the end

"อย่างไรก็ตาม การที่กฎหมายกำหนดให้ภายใน 30 วันหลังเลือกตั้ง กกต. ต้องรับรองการเป็น ส.ส. ให้กับผู้สมัครที่ได้รับเลือก หากเรื่องเรียนใดยังสอบสวนไม่เสร็จก็ต้อง "ปล่อยผี" ไปก่อน จากนั้นค่อยตาม "สอย" ทีหลัง"

"In any event, given the fact that the law requires that within 30 days of the election, the Election Commission must certify the results of the election to the candidates who were elected. If there are any issues which require further investigation [if there are any issues regarding which the investigation is not complete], [the Election Commission] must allow [those candidates whose seats are in dispute] to continue [as if the results were certified]; after [the investigations are completed], the fruits of the investigation will dictate the results."

Is this what the newspaper sentence says? There seems to be a lot left unsaid, or am I grossly misunderstanding the sentences. Thanks for your assistance.

pretty much, except the last bit. It is rather correct, except I hope the "fruits" of the investigation thing was not an intended pun due to my explanation :D

the list bit is more of a "let's let 'em go fer now, and rope 'em in later, guys!" (not quite as eloquent as the way you put it :o)

A phrase today in the Daily News which I've not been able to pin down up to now.

ลุ้นระทึกรอบใหม่กกต.ควักใบเเดง

I can't quite get the meaning of ลุ้นระทึก is it something like' excitement\ tension mounts' ระทึก can mean beat fast, as in the heart, and ลุ้น can mean boost so could we translate this headline as:' Excitement\ tension mounts for a new round( of voting) as the EC hands out\brandishes red cards.'

A phrase today in the Daily News which I've not been able to pin down up to now.

ลุ้นระทึกรอบใหม่กกต.ควักใบเเดง

I can't quite get the meaning of ลุ้นระทึก is it something like' excitement\ tension mounts' ระทึก can mean beat fast, as in the heart, and ลุ้น can mean boost so could we translate this headline as:' Excitement\ tension mounts for a new round( of voting) as the EC hands out\brandishes red cards.'

More or less, but the ลุ้น part is a bit off.

ลุ้น is one of those words that are hard to translate. ลุ้น means to anxiously wait for an outcome. It tends to be more positive, though in cases it could mean nervously or apprehensively await.

You will see ลุ้น a lot in supermarkets, with all their sweepstakes. ("ช้อป 100 ลุ้น 1,000,000!") :o

But overall your translation is correct, except I think the รอบใหม่ is the new round of handing out red cards rather than new round of voting.

From this Matichon Weekend's article by Professor Nithi Eewsriwond comes this paragraph:

ไม่จำเป็นว่านักวิจารณ์จะเป็นคน "ตาถึง" เสมอไปนะครับ หลายครั้งด้วยกัน นักวิจารณ์สะตึกว่างานที่ตัววิจารณ์

ผู้สร้างสรรค์หรือศิลปินไม่จำเป็นต้องเชื่อนักวิจารณ์เสมอไป

และในความเป็นจริงผู้สร้างสรรค์ที่ไม่สะติก็มักจับความสะตึของนักวิจารณ์ได้เองอยู่แล้ว

My feeble attempt at translation: "It is not necessary that the critic be a person who "has an keen eye" for the artwork. Many times the critic is more ____ than the work he is judging. The creative person or the artist need not always believe (what the critic says). And, in truth, the creative person who is not ________ is able himself to catch the ______ of the critic.

This one word, สะตึ, seems to be repeated twice for a total of three times, although the second variation seems to be "สะติ". I cannot find this word in any of the dictionaries.

Can someone help explain the meaning of this word and how it fits into the meaing. Also, please correct my understanding of the paragraph if I got it wrong. Thanks.

สะตึ means senseless, meaningless, valueless, worthless, bad, useless, inferior, poor. .

สะติ must be a typo.

นักวิจารณ์สะตึกว่างานที่ตัววิจารณ์ - the critic who has quality in his job worse than the quality of the artwork he criticizes. Or the critic is worse than the work he is judging.

สะตึ means senseless, meaningless, valueless, worthless, bad, useless, inferior, poor. .

สะติ must be a typo.

นักวิจารณ์สะตึกว่างานที่ตัววิจารณ์ - the critic who has quality in his job worse than the quality of the artwork he criticizes. Or the critic is worse than the work he is judging.

Thanks for explaining that term and for pointing out the type. The language is difficult enough when there are no internal errors.

Let me try to understand again:

ไม่จำเป็นว่านักวิจารณ์จะเป็นคน "ตาถึง" เสมอไปนะครับ หลายครั้งด้วยกัน นักวิจารณ์สะตึกว่างานที่ตัววิจารณ์

ผู้สร้างสรรค์หรือศิลปินไม่จำเป็นต้องเชื่อนักวิจารณ์เสมอไป

และในความเป็นจริงผู้สร้างสรรค์ที่ไม่สะติก็มักจับความสะตึของนักวิจารณ์ได้เองอยู่แล้ว

"It is not necessary that the critic be a person who "has an keen eye" for the artwork. Many times the critic (writes reviews) which are even more mindless than the work he is judging. The creative person or the artist need not always believe (what the critic says). And, in truth, the creative person who is has not produced worthless material is able himself to recognise the drivel that the critic has produced."

Thank you, Khun Yoot, again for yourhelp.

I'm having some difficulty with the following sentence:

ต้องยอมรับว่าการยุบพรรคไทยรักไทยไม่ส่งผลอย่างเบ็ดเสร็จเด็ดขาด

หากส่งผลอย่างเบ็ดเสร็จเด็ดขาดโอกาสที่จะเกิดพรรคพลังประชาชนก็ไม่มีขึ้น ไม่เพียงแต่จะมีพรรคพลังประชาชนเข้ามาต่อยอดความสำเร็จของพรรคไทยรักไทยเท่านั้น หากแต่พรรคพลังประชาชนยังสามารถกำชัยเหนือพรรคการเมืองอื่นที่มีอยู่

"One must admit that the dissolution of the Thai Rak Thai Party did not result in its absolute [elimination].

If it were completely [eliminated], then there would have been no possibility of the party being reborn as the People's Power Party. [However,] not only did the People's Power Party emerge successfully [from the ashes] of the Thai Rak Thai Party, but the People's Power Party has been able to win [electoral supremacy] over the other existing political parties."

My questions are:

1. Does the translation above correctly carry the Thai verb tenses and mood (i.e. subjunctives where appropriate)?

2. Are the bracketed terms or ideas implied in the quoted text?

3. Does the term ต่อยอด in this context mean "emerge" or "grow out from"? I have been unable to find this word combination.

4. Does กำชัย mean ชัยชนะ? I have not been able to find กำชัย in the dictionaries.

Thank you for your assistance.

I have been looking for some time for the Thai equivalent of the term "one man, one vote" but today I found it in the following

paragraph:

"ย่างน้อยที่สุดก็รู้สึกดีที่เราถูกจัดให้อยู่ในข่ายของ "พลเมือง" ที่ดีที่เข้าไปมีส่วนร่วมกับระบอบประชาธิปไตย อย่างที่สื่อพยายามรณรงค์โดย

เฉพาะอย่างยิ่งการใช้ "1 สิทธิ = 1 เสียง" เพื่อเฟ้นหาตัวแทนเข้าไปใช้สิทธิ และเสียงในสภา"

". . . At the very least I feel very good about the fact that we [the Thai people] have become part of the group of people [known as] "good citizens" who have jointed together in the democratic process, as the media has attempted to campaign for. I especially [feel good] about the uses of [the concept of] "one right = one vote" in order to select representatives who will [in turn] utilizes their rights and votes in the legislature."

Do you agree that the term "1 สิทธิ = 1 เสียง" is equivalent to "one man, one vote"? (Note, the use of the the term "male" is meant in the generic sense, not in the gender specific sense.)

There are two terms which used a lot to mean 'one man one vote': หนึ่งสิทธิ์หนึ่งเสียง and หนึ่งคนหนึ่งเสียง.

In my opinion, I think หนึ่งคนหนึ่งเสียง is more correct than หนึ่งสิทธิ์หนึ่งเสียง because as for election the man is counted not the right. But they are used interchangeably because one man has one right in this case.

If we consider voting of other things such as voting for company's policy which has one right one vote but someone can have many rights counting from their stock amonts holding. So, the meaning of both terms are different.

There are two terms which used a lot to mean 'one man one vote': หนึ่งสิทธิ์หนึ่งเสียง and หนึ่งคนหนึ่งเสียง.

In my opinion, I think หนึ่งคนหนึ่งเสียง is more correct than หนึ่งสิทธิ์หนึ่งเสียง because as for election the man is counted not the right. But they are used interchangeably because one man has one right in this case.

If we consider voting of other things such as voting for company's policy which has one right one vote but someone can have many rights counting from their stock amonts holding. So, the meaning of both terms are different.

Excellent! Thank you. That very neatly describes the difference between political elections and shareholder voting rights.

I'm having some difficulty with the following sentence:

ต้องยอมรับว่าการยุบพรรคไทยรักไทยไม่ส่งผลอย่างเบ็ดเสร็จเด็ดขาด

หากส่งผลอย่างเบ็ดเสร็จเด็ดขาดโอกาสที่จะเกิดพรรคพลังประชาชนก็ไม่มีขึ้น ไม่เพียงแต่จะมีพรรคพลังประชาชนเข้ามาต่อยอดความสำเร็จของพรรคไทยรักไทยเท่านั้น หากแต่พรรคพลังประชาชนยังสามารถกำชัยเหนือพรรคการเมืองอื่นที่มีอยู่

"One must admit that the dissolution of the Thai Rak Thai Party did not result in its absolute [elimination].

If it were completely [eliminated], then there would have been no possibility of the party being reborn as the People's Power Party. [However,] not only did the People's Power Party emerge successfully [from the ashes] of the Thai Rak Thai Party, but the People's Power Party has been able to win [electoral supremacy] over the other existing political parties."

My questions are:

1. Does the translation above correctly carry the Thai verb tenses and mood (i.e. subjunctives where appropriate)?

2. Are the bracketed terms or ideas implied in the quoted text?

3. Does the term ต่อยอด in this context mean "emerge" or "grow out from"? I have been unable to find this word combination.

4. Does กำชัย mean ชัยชนะ? I have not been able to find กำชัย in the dictionaries.

Thank you for your assistance.

From my English ability, I don't think I can translate it better than you. :o But I will try to explain the concept of these sentences, so that you can consider it by yourself.

ต้องยอมรับว่าการยุบพรรคไทยรักไทยไม่ส่งผลอย่างเบ็ดเสร็จเด็ดขาด - from this sentence it implies that one must accept that the result from dissolution TRT party doesn't come out as they thought. (They wanted TRT party being disintegrated completely after the dissolution)

The term ต่อยอด has not been listed in RID but it's used widely. ต่อยอด is like grafting.

ไม่เพียงแต่จะมีพรรคพลังประชาชนเข้ามาต่อยอดความสำเร็จของพรรคไทยรักไทยเท่านั้น - in this case the success of TRT party in the past is like a graft which is planted onto a new party (PPP).

As for other usings of this term, such as ต่อยอดความรู้ (expanded knowledge from one basis or one research to be more useful), ต่อยอดธุรกิจ (expanded business to new line product or to be more successful).

กำชัย is from กำ(holding in the hand) and ชัย (victory).

Khun Yoot,

There has been some discussion in the Internet using the phrase "การต่อยอดธุรกิจบนแนวคิดเศรษฐกิจพอเพียง", a reference you made above. I am having difficulty understanding what idea is being grafted to what concept. The phrase seems to mean on its face, "Grafting business into the concept of Sufficiency Economics". I would have thought that the concept would be in the opposite direction, that is, "Grafting [the philosophy of] Sufficience Economics onto [everyday] business operations."

Am I reading the phrase incorrectly? Thanks.

A headline in today's Matichon Weekly:

หลังฉาก"กกต." เก็บสำนวน"ยุทธ ตู้เย็น" ก่อศึกใน-ชักศึกนอก

I see a number of Google references to ยุทธ ตู้เย็น but I can't seem to parse out the meaning of "refrigerator wars."

Can anyone help interpret these two phrases, "ยุทธ ตู้เย็น" and "ก่อศึกใน-ชักศึกนอก"? Thanks.

Khun Yoot,

There has been some discussion in the Internet using the phrase "การต่อยอดธุรกิจบนแนวคิดเศรษฐกิจพอเพียง", a reference you made above. I am having difficulty understanding what idea is being grafted to what concept. The phrase seems to mean on its face, "Grafting business into the concept of Sufficiency Economics". I would have thought that the concept would be in the opposite direction, that is, "Grafting [the philosophy of] Sufficience Economics onto [everyday] business operations."

Am I reading the phrase incorrectly? Thanks.

The outcome from the graft is what we want, right? So, if we graft the the concept of sufficience economics onto the business, what will grow up, the sufficience economics or the business?

"Grafting [the philosophy of] Sufficience Economics onto [everyday] business operations." or another word "การนำเศรษฐกิจพอเพียงมาใช้ในธุรกิจ", it was like putting fertilizer into the plant more than grafting. การต่อยอด is grafting. You graft the plant you want the outcome onto another stronger plant, so that the stronger plant could support the graft and make it grown up. The concept of Sufficience Economics in this discussion is a main foundation for a business. การต่อยอดธุรกิจบนแนวคิดเศรษฐกิจพอเพียง means expanding business base on Sufficience Economics concept.

A headline in today's Matichon Weekly:

หลังฉาก"กกต." เก็บสำนวน"ยุทธ ตู้เย็น" ก่อศึกใน-ชักศึกนอก

I see a number of Google references to ยุทธ ตู้เย็น but I can't seem to parse out the meaning of "refrigerator wars."

Can anyone help interpret these two phrases, "ยุทธ ตู้เย็น" and "ก่อศึกใน-ชักศึกนอก"? Thanks.

As for "ยุทธ ตู้เย็น", you can read from this page

ก่อศึกใน - having trouble or fighting among people in the group.

ชักศึกนอก - to bring in trouble or enemies into the group.

• 2 weeks later...

When I saw the following snippet in The Nation, I wondered what Gen Sonthi actually said in Thai:

"Outgoing Deputy Prime Minister Sonthi Boonyaratglin revealed yesterday that he had a "brotherly" telephone conversation with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra several weeks ago. He claimed their ties remained amicable."

Here is the report from Thai Rath:

" "สนธิ". . . ได้มีการพูดคุยทำความเข้าใจกับอดีตนายก พตท. ทักษิณ ชินวัตร แล้วโดยกล่าวว่าเป็นการพูดคุยแบบพี่น้องไม่เกี่ยวข้องกับการเมือง

ยอมรับความสัมพันธ์ยังดีกันอยู่ หากมีโอกาสก็อาจได้ตีกอล์ฟด้วยกัน บอกพร้อมเป็นกำลังใจให้รัฐบาลใหม่ทำงาน"

"Sonthi . . . had a conversation with former PM Pol. Col. Thaksin Shinawatra to make amends; and [Gen. Sonthi] said, we spoke as one would speak with a member of one's own family. We did not talk about politics. He acknowledged that their relationships was good. "If we have a chance, perhaps we will play a round of golf together", [Gen Sonthi] said, and wished the new government well in [governing the contry]."

". . . we spoke as one would speak with a member of our own family . . ." is not as pithy as "had a 'brotherly' telephone conversation"; any alternatives?

Would anyone else like to take a shot at Gen. Sonthi's statement? Thanks.

Thaksion appointed Sonthi, as he once reminded him after the coup and yet Sonthi is older so perhaps พูดเเนนพี่น้อง could best be translated as had 'an informal\ friendly\ fireside\ brotherly chat.

Are you sure about 'to make amends', wouldn't that imply fault on Sonthi's part? I think: 'to reach a(mutual) understanding' would sound better.

Archived