Thai Newspaper Headlines

meadish_sweetball

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A story about a strange fish with a mouthful of sharp teeth. Does it also bark like a dog? I’d like to get an aquarium if I could get one of these queer fish.. Or could I keep one in the sink ? because apparently that is where the neighbors heard the sound coming from.

พบปลาประหลาดที่กำแพงเพชร เห่าได้เหมือนหมา ลักษณะหัวคล้ายปลาช่อน ตัวยาวใกล้เคียงปลา

ไหล ครีบ-หางเหมือนปลาดุก มีฟันคมเต็มปาก แรกๆเพื่อนบ้านได้ยินเสียงออกมาจากอ่าง ตกใจนึก

ว่าผี ตอนนี้ได้ยินจนชินหู...

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/13975

This story is about a Russian man who was robbed by a Thai woman. After they had sex, he fell asleep and woke to find he had been cleaned out. From just the headline, I would think the story was about a young Russian who was card partners with a Thai women and together they cleaned out a place in Pattaya . What would be the correct translation? Also in the story they refer to

the culprit as น.ส.กบ. Is Ms. Frog her nickname or a term used for ladies like that?

The Headline:

หนุ่มรัสเซียถูกคู่ขาสาวไทยรูดทรัพย์เกลี้ยงที่พัทยา

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/14986

หนุ่ม ( nòom )

lad ; laddie ; boy ; youth ; adolescence

young ; adolescent ; youthful ; juvenile

รัสเซีย (Russian)

ถูกคู่ ( tòok kôo )

be partners of something ;

ขา ( kăa )

gambler ; card partner

leg ; limb ; foot

สาว ( săao )

girl ; young women ; young lady

young ; adolescent ; juvenile ; youthful

ไทย ( tai )

freedom ; independence

Thai ;

Thailand ;

รูด ( rôot )

draw ; pull ; slip

ทรัพย์ ( sáp )

property ; wealth ; money ; assets ; possessions ; treasures ; riches ; things ; effects

เกลี้ยง ( glîang )

completely ; cleanly ; entirely ; wholly ; totally

smooth ; flat and smooth ; clean ; level ; even ; flatten

ที่ ( têe )

land ; place ; area ; seat

ordinal number ; as in

that ; at ; to ; which ; who

พัทยา ( pát-tá-yaa )

Pattaya

One of the things to look out for with when parsing Thai is that very often, the way one parses a sentence or phrase determines what it means. In this case, thai2english thought that ถูกคู่ ( tòok kôo ) be partners of something ; should be parsed together, but later on in the text we find that คู่ขา appears again, which means the correct parsing is more likely to be ถูก (to undergo, to become subject to) คู่ขา (a partner [here: bed partner] rather than ถูกคู่ ขา. <br /><br />หนุ่มรัสเซียถูกคู่ขาสาวไทยรูดทรัพย์เกลี้ยงที่พัทยา<br /><br />Here's a non-idiomatic translation:<br /><br />Young Russian man robbed clean of his belongings by his young female Thai bed partner<br /><br />I leave it to the native speakers to suggest something more idiomatic.<br />

[EDIT: At 42 and 35 they hardly seem young so the choice of words is a little weird; irony?]

...and here's a very rough attempt at a translation of the rest of the article, criticism and suggestions welcome, as always:

"After the exhausted couple had dozed off to sleep together, he woke with a start to find out that Miss Gob had made off with his belongings, cash and a mobile phone, located near the crest of the bed. "

In the early morning hours of Wednesday 24 June, [Pattaya police] were notified by the staff at hotel Enjoy Resident [soi Phratamnak 12 moo 12 Nong Prue Banglamung Pattaya], that a foreign tourist had been the victim of theft by his Thai bed partner. The police hurried off to inspect the crime scene, room 206, where 42-year-old Russian national Mr. Alexander Kurbanov was waiting to leave his statement and showed the police officers the traces, his wallet which had been opened, searched through and left in disarray with several items reported missing, including 1,300 EUR, 700 USD and 25,000 baht in cash as well as one 3G-enabled iPhone, at a total estimated value of 200,000 baht.

The victim stated that before the crime took place, he had been drinking at Yan pub on Walking Street in South Pattaya and took a prostitute he only knew by her nickname, Miss Gob, approximately 35 years old, who had previously been his bed partner on several occasions. After the exhausted couple had dozed off to sleep together, he woke with a start to find out that Miss Gob had made off with his belongings, cash and a mobile phone, located near the crest of the bed, so he reported the case to the police requesting that they would assist in apprehending Miss Gob.

Thanks for your time and pointing out the parsing technicality. It is going to be very difficult for anyone to come up with a good Thai English transalation computer program. For instance, the Google translation of the headline is this:

หนุ่มรัสเซียถูกคู่ขาสาวไทยรูดทรัพย์เกลี้ยงที่พัทยา Young Russian partner is the property clean tear the young Thai Pattaya

By the way, I know 'crest of the bed' is incorrect, but I could not for my life think of how to properly translate หัวเตียง which indicates "the pillow side" of the bed...? What is the proper term in English?

From definition of "head": "5 a : the end that is upper or higher or opposite the foot <the head of the bed>"

Thank you for that phrase that I did not know; it is a very useful phrase. Domnern Sathienpong states the following English definition for อย่างขอไปที "half-heartedly; for the sake of form only; in a perfunctory manner".

Love it! A great one to write in the margin of many of my students' homework!

One of the things to look out for with when parsing Thai is that very often, the way one parses a sentence or phrase determines what it means. In this case, thai2english thought that ถูกคู่ ( tòok kôo ) be partners of something ; should be parsed together, but later on in the text we find that คู่ขา appears again, which means the correct parsing is more likely to be ถูก (to undergo, to become subject to) คู่ขา (a partner [here: bed partner] rather than ถูกคู่ ขา. <br /><br />หนุ่มรัสเซียถูกคู่ขาสาวไทยรูดทรัพย์เกลี้ยงที่พัทยา<br /><br />Here's a non-idiomatic translation:<br /><br />Young Russian man robbed clean of his belongings by his young female Thai bed partner<br /><br />I leave it to the native speakers to suggest something more idiomatic.<br />

[EDIT: At 42 and 35 they hardly seem young so the choice of words is a little weird; irony?]

When หนุ่ม or สาว is used alone, it simply means 'man' or 'woman'. It doesn't imply 'young'.

For more specific terms;

เด็กหนุ่ม - young man (age is around 15 up to19)

ชายหนุ่ม - man (20 up to 35)

หนุ่มใหญ่ - man (36 to 55, approximately)

ชายแก่ - man (55 up)

เด็กสาว - young girl (age is around 15 up to19)

หญิงสาว - woman (20 up to 35)

สาวใหญ่ or สาวแก่ - woman (36 up)

คุณยุทธ์ครับ,

แล้ว "คนแก่", "คนชรา", "ผู้เฒ่า", และ "คนมีอายุ" หมายถึงวัยอะไรครับ

คุณเดวิด ปกติคนที่มีอายุราว ๆ 40 ปีขึ้นไป ก็จะเรียกได้ว่าเป็น "คนมีอายุ" ส่วน "คนแก่" คำนี้ใช้กันโดยทั่วไป ไม่ค่อยเฉพาะเจาะจงมากนัก บางครั้งคนอายุ 30 กว่า ๆ ก็อาจจะถูกเรียกว่าเป็น "คนแก่" ก็ได้ แต่ในความหมายจริง ๆ ก็น่าจะเป็นคนที่มีอายุมากหน่อย ส่วน "คนชรา" และ "ผู้เฒ่า" นั้นโดยทั่วไปคนที่อายุราว ๆ 60 ปีขึ้นไปก็เข้าข่ายเป็น "คนชรา" หรือว่า "ผู้เฒ่า" แล้ว

ส่วนคำที่ให้ไว้ก่อนหน้านี้ก็ใช้ปน ๆ กันไปบ้างก็มี อายุที่กำหนดให้ก็เป็นเพียงแค่คร่าว ๆ ไม่ได้เป๊ะ ๆ สักทีเดียว :)

Could you please translate this into English? Thanks. :D

Khun Yoot,

What do you think:

คุณเดวิด ปกติคนที่มีอายุราว ๆ 40 ปีขึ้นไป ก็จะเรียกได้ว่าเป็น "คนมีอายุ" ส่วน "คนแก่" คำนี้ใช้กันโดยทั่วไป ไม่ค่อยเฉพาะเจาะจงมากนัก บางครั้งคนอายุ 30 กว่า ๆ ก็อาจจะถูกเรียกว่าเป็น "คนแก่" ก็ได้ แต่ในความหมายจริง ๆ ก็น่าจะเป็นคนที่มีอายุมากหน่อย ส่วน "คนชรา" และ "ผู้เฒ่า" นั้นโดยทั่วไปคนที่อายุราว ๆ 60 ปีขึ้นไปก็เข้าข่ายเป็น "คนชรา" หรือว่า "ผู้เฒ่า" แล้ว

David, Usually a person over 40 years of age is referred to as a "คนมีอายุ" [perhaps equivalent to our English, "a person of some years"]; the term "คนแก่" is used as a general term and does not refer to any specific age bracket. Sometimes, even a person who is over 30 years old can be called a "คนแก่" (old man). However, really, a person (who is called "คนแก่") should be a person of some advanced age. As for the words "คนชรา" และ "ผู้เฒ่า", generally these terms are used only for persons in excess of 60 years old. [Wow! I would have thought these terms should be used for people in excess of 80 years old! Can I get a "senior discount"?]

ส่วนคำที่ให้ไว้ก่อนหน้านี้ก็ใช้ปน ๆ กันไปบ้างก็มี อายุที่กำหนดให้ก็เป็นเพียงแค่คร่าว ๆ ไม่ได้เป๊ะ ๆ สักทีเดียว

With respect to all the words referred to above, they are sometimes used interchangeably. The age ranges which were referred to are fairly approximate and not very specific.

Excellent! Khun David. :)

[Wow! I would have thought these terms should be used for people in excess of 80 years old! Can I get a "senior discount"?]

Remember one of the campaigns of the government "เบี้ยยังชีพคนชรา"? It's for people who are from 60 years old up?

ทัวร์เสียหลัก ผู้โดยสารตกรถ คนขับไม่รู้

A bad tour, 5 people fell off the bus and the driver didn’t know it.

ทัวร์เชียงใหม่-อุดรธานี เสียหลัก ผู้โดยสารกระเด็นออกนอกรถ คนขับกลับไม่รู้ ขับรถไปต่อทราบแต่ว่ารถเสียหลัก มารู้อีกทีเมื่อรถวิ่งต่อไม่ได้

This bad tour in Changmai, passengers were bounced out of the bus and the driver

was not aware until the bus brokedown.

เมื่อกลางดึกคืนที่ผ่านมา(29 มิ.ย.)เจ้าหน้าที่ตำรวจ สภ.อุตรดิตถ์ รับแจ้งเหตุรถทัวร์เสียหลักมีผู้โดยสารตกลงมาได้รับบาดเจ็บ จึงรุดไปตรวจสอบ ที่เกิดเหตุพบผู้โดยสาร 5 คน เป็นชาย 3 หญิง 2 ซึ่งได้รับบาดเจ็บ จากเหตุกระเด็นออกจากรถทัวร์ปรับอากาศชั้น 1 เชียงใหม่-อุดรธานี บริเวณทางหลวงหมายเลข 11 อุตรดิตถ์-พิษณุโลก

Police got a report of 2 injured people on the bus, they went back to investigate the

scene and found 5 injured people who had been thrown from the bus.

จากการสอบถามทราบว่า ทั้ง 5 นั่งมากับรถจักรพงษ์ทัวร์ เมื่อถึงที่เกิดเหตุเป็นทางขึ้นเขาและเป็นทางโค้ง ทำให้ท้ายรถยกขึ้นและเอียง ส่งผลให้ข้างรถด้านคนขับกระแทกกับกำแพงคอนกรีตที่เป็นเกาะกลางถนน กระจกแตก ทำให้ผู้โดยสารกระเด็นออกนอกรถ 5 คน และรถทัวร์ดังกล่าวไปจอดห่างจากที่เกิดเหตุ 5 กิโลเมตรในสภาพข้างรถด้านคนขับยุบเป็นรอยขูดยาว

On a curving mountain road the driver collided with concrete guard rail breaking glass

and causing 5 people to be bounced out of the bus. The bus kept going and parked 5 km from the scene.

จากการสอบสวนนายทรงกรด ขันตี พนักงานขับรถ ทราบว่ารถเสียหลักจริง แต่ไม่ทราบว่าผู้โดยสารกระเด็นตกจากรถ และเหตุที่จอดรถเพราะมีผู้โดยสาร 2 คนได้รับบาดเจ็บ และรถไม่สามารถวิ่งต่อไปได้ เจ้าหน้าที่จึงควบคุมตัวคนขับไว้ และนำคนเจ็บทั้ง 7 คนส่งโรงพยาบาล ส่วนผู้โดยสารที่เหลือ 30 คน มีรถโดยสารคันใหม่มารับเพื่อเดินทางต่อไป.

The driver found out when the bus brokedown ,from the 2 injured passengers on the bus who could not travel further. The remaining 30 passengers were irritated because

they could not continue their journey.

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/16076

My questions

ทัวร์เสียหลัก

Is this a major bad tour or a tour ruined by a pole?

จากการสอบถามทราบว่า ทั้ง 5 นั่งมากับรถจักรพงษ์ทัวร์

All 5 seats? came with what ?

คนขับยุบเป็นรอยขูดยาว

The driver had a long scratch mark?

จากการสอบถามทราบว่า ทั้ง 5 นั่งมากับรถจักรพงษ์ทัวร์

The linguistic term for this is ellipsis. The word 'people' or 'passengers' is omitted but [intended to be] understood, which means นั่ง is a verb.

So we get:

From the interrogation/interview we know that all 5 (of them) were travelling/riding in a bus from Chakrapong(se) Tour.

Cf. how did you get here? by plane.

(khun) maa (thii nii) yangai? (phom) nang khruang (bin) maa.

No Thai keyboard here, sorry.

รถทัวร์ดังกล่าว ไปจอดห่างจากที่เกิดเหตุ 5 กิโลเมตร ในสภาพข้างรถด้านคนขับยุบเป็นรอยขูดยาว

This sentence needs to be parsed differently:

The aforementioned bus / stopped 5 kilometers away from where the accident took place / [in the shape of] the driver's side of the bus had a long scratch mark

So the scratch mark was on the [driver's side of the] bus, not on the driver himself.

จากการสอบสวนนายทรงกรด ขันตี พนักงานขับรถ

from the interrogation of Mr. Songkrod Khanti, the driver,

ทราบว่ารถเสียหลักจริง

it was revealed[known] that the wheel axle of the bus[?] had really broken,

แต่ไม่ทราบว่าผู้โดยสารกระเด็นตกจากรถ และเหตุที่จอดรถ

however, he was not aware that passengers had been thrown off the bus, nor of the exact place he had stopped[?]

เพราะมีผู้โดยสาร 2 คนได้รับบาดเจ็บ และรถไม่สามารถวิ่งต่อไปได้

because two passengers had been injured and the car could not drive any further

เจ้าหน้าที่จึงควบคุมตัวคนขับไว้ และนำคน เจ็บทั้ง 7 คนส่งโรงพยาบาล

the police officers restrained[?] the driver and brought all 7 injured [passengers] to hospital

ส่วนผู้โดยสารที่เหลือ 30 คน มีรถโดยสารคันใหม่มารับเพื่อเดินทางต่อไป

as for the remaining 30 passengers, a new bus picked [them] up so that [they could] continue their journey

This is not a great translation, first of all as you can see I also have some question marks. Also, I've deliberately maintained almost the exact same sentence structure as the original in order to show more clearly how the Thai works, hoping that it could be helpful.

Obviously a proper translation should be more idiomatic and dare to prune away everything that can be done away with without sacrificing detail.

ทราบว่ารถเสียหลักจริง

however, he was not aware that passengers had been thrown off the bus, nor of the exact place he had stopped[?]

จากการสอบสวนนายทรงกรด ขันตี พนักงานขับรถ ทราบว่ารถเสียหลักจริง แต่ไม่ทราบว่าผู้โดยสารกระเด็นตกจากรถ

from the interrogation of Mr. Songkrod Khanti, the driver, it was revealed[known] that the bus lost the control really, but he was not aware that passengers had been thrown off the bus.

และเหตุที่จอดรถ เพราะมีผู้โดยสาร 2 คนได้รับบาดเจ็บ และรถไม่สามารถวิ่งต่อไปได้

and the reason he stopped the bus because two passengers had been injured and the car could not drive any further

เจ้าหน้าที่จึงควบคุมตัวคนขับไว้

The police officer took the bus driver into custody.

I don't quite understand the journalist's thinking here:

และเหตุที่จอดรถ เพราะมีผู้โดยสาร 2 คนได้รับบาดเจ็บ และรถไม่สามารถวิ่งต่อไปได้

...and the reason he stopped the bus because two passengers had been injured and the car could not drive any further

You'd think the fact the car couldn't go any further would be sufficient reason to stop.... :) , regardless of whether anyone had been hurt.

I've always thought เสียหลัก meant lose control until Meadish mentioned a broken axle, I thought he was right when I read ขับรถไปต่อทราบแต่ว่ารถเสียหลัก ie, the driver continued, knowing only that the รถเสียหลัก but of course the writer means the driver continued, knowing only he had lost control, ( not that he had lost any passengers); and of course, why stop just because you had lost control ?! You might find some dead pedestrians or passengers!

รถทัวร์ดังกล่าว ไปจอดห่างจากที่เกิดเหตุ 5 กิโลเมตร ในสภาพข้างรถด้านคนขับยุบเป็นรอยขูดยาว

This sentence needs to be parsed differently:

The aforementioned bus / stopped 5 kilometers away from where the accident took place / [in the shape of] the driver's side of the bus had a long scratch mark

So the scratch mark was on the [driver's side of the] bus, not on the driver himself.

ทราบว่ารถเสียหลักจริง

เจ้าหน้าที่จึงควบคุมตัวคนขับไว้ และนำคน เจ็บทั้ง 7 คนส่งโรงพยาบาล

the police officers restrained[?] the driver and brought all 7 injured [passengers] to hospital

ส่วนผู้โดยสารที่เหลือ 30 คน มีรถโดยสารคันใหม่มารับเพื่อเดินทางต่อไป

as for the remaining 30 passengers, a new bus picked [them] up so that [they could] continue their journey

This is not a great translation, first of all as you can see I also have some question marks. Also, I've deliberately maintained almost the exact same sentence structure as the original in order to show more clearly how the Thai works, hoping that it could be helpful.

Obviously a proper translation should be more idiomatic and dare to prune away everything that can be done away with without sacrificing detail.

ทราบว่ารถเสียหลักจริง

Is หลัก a colloquial term for axle? I looked up both หลัก and axle in the

resources I use and the closest I could get was หลัก being a pole.

เสียหลัก is a verb, look up these words and you will get it, ซวดเซ, พลาดท่า,ทรงตัวไม่ได้ it should help especially the last one in the context of a vehicle's behaviour.

• 5 months later...

From today’s print edition of Matichon newspaper.

300 ชีวตระทึกกลางหาว หวิดตกเป็นเหยื่อวินาศกรรมช็อกโลกรับคริส์มาสหลังชาวไนจีเรียที่

อ้างตัวเป็นสาวกอัลเคด้าพยายามจุดระเบิดเครื่องบินกลางอากาศ แต่ถูกผู้โดยสารรวบตัวไว้ก่อน ‘โอบามา’ส่ังเพิ่มมาตรการรักษาความปลอดภัยเข้มขันขึ้นทันที

My attempt at a translation:

300 lives beat fast from fear in the middle of the sky after almost falling prey to a sabotage that would shock the world after Christmas. A Nigerian that claimed to be follower of al Qaida tried to set off a mid-air explosion, but was seized by passengers first. Obama ordered safety measures to be increased immediately.

Questions:

1. Is the word ตก here modifying ‘victim/prey’ as in the English idiom ‘to fall prey to’? or is it modifying หวิด, and if so how should we understand the construction หวิดตก?

2. What is the function/meaning of รับ in the surrounding clause/structure in which it appears? Is it, for example, connoting the idea that the world had ‘received’ or ‘got’ or ‘had’ Christmas? (and indeed, are these three suggestions alternative interpretations or equivalent ways of ‘catchingง the same idea?)

3. What is the function of ตัว after อ้าง? I can only assume this is referring to either ‘one person’ or ‘one claim’ but neither interpretation fits my prior understanding of the uses of this word.

4. Any suggestions for a better (i.e., more natural) English translation for the opening clause “300 ชีวตระทึกกลางหาว” than the one I offered above? I’ve been looking at this so long it seems to have disabled my ability to express ideas in natural English.

Any insights much appreciated.

Couldn't really add much to what you'd done already, but...

1. Some dictionaries translate ตกเป็น as become

หวิด ตกเป็น เหยื่อ วินาศกรรม

nearly - become - victim - sabotage => nearly fall victim to sabotage/terrorist

2. Not sure about this one either. Looking on Google, รับคริส์มาส seems to be used in the sense of at/during Christmas

eg

ส่งออกสินค้าหัตถกรรมกระเตื้องรับคริสมาสต์-ปีใหม่ - Handicraft exports increase during the Christmas and New Year period.

or

กิจกรรมพับกระดาษรับคริสมาสคะ ใกล้คริสมาสแล้วคะ หากิจกรรมมาสอนเด็ก ๆ รับคริสมาสกันหน่อยดีกว่า ไฮไลท์ของวันนี้คงไม่พ้น คุณลุงซานต้า และ ต้น คริสมาสแน่ ๆ คะ

Christmas Origami. It's nearly Christmas already. I was looking for something for the kids to do at Christmas. You probably couldn't do better than this [Origami] Santa Clause and Christmas Tree.

So, maybe ช็อกโลกรับ คริส์มาส - World in Shock at Christmas?

3. ตัว - I think ตัว means 'himself' here - after Nigerian claiming to be al Quaeda...

4. 300 ชีวตระทึกกลางหาว

300 lives - beat fast [from fear] - in mid-air

In English newspapers, it's maybe unusual to talk about beating hearts in this context, so maybe something like:

300 passengers in mid-air terror

"300 passengers in mid-air terror nearly fall victim to terrorist attack. World in shock at Christmas after Nigerian claiming to be al Qaeda tries to detonate a bomb in mid-air before being restrained by passengers. Obama orders immediate tightening of security."

Maybe wait for some of the other Thai speakers!

I'll give one a try for you guys to critique. The first two sentences are the headline and intro. The 1-10 points are only the first sentence of each one's paragraph. I pondered over แผนข้อมูล in particular, and am still not sure about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 ภัยอันตรายคุกคามปีใหม่ควรระวัง!

10 dangerous threats to New Year to be aware of!

เปิดแผนข้อมูลประทุษร้ายต่อทรัพย์ 10 รูปแบบที่คนร้ายอาศัยช่วงเทศกาลวันหยุดยาวออกอุบายหลอกเหยื่อทีประชาชนส่วนใหญ่มักตกเป็นเหยื่อบ่อยครั้ง

10 harmful schemes revealed for targeting valuables that thieves rely on during the long holiday festivities for scamming.

1.แก๊งส่งของขวัญปีใหม่

Gangs delivering New Year's gifts.

2.แก๊งสารพัดช่าง

Gangs of repair people.

3.แก๊งขายสินค้าราคาถูก

Gangs selling inexpensive goods.

4.แก๊งจัดงานเลี้ยง

Gangs that organize parties.

5.แก๊งเรี่ยไรทำบุญ

Gangs that solicit merit-making donations.

6.แก๊งชุบหรือล้างทองรูปพรรณ

Gangs that plate or clean gold ornamentation.

7.แก๊งล้วงและกรีดกระเป๋า

Gangs picking or slitting pockets.

8.แก๊งมอมยา

Gangs spiking with drugs.

9.แก๊งชวนเล่นการพนัน

Gangs soliciting gambling.

10.แก๊งใช้ธนบัตรปลอม

Gangs passing counterfeit banknotes.

2. What is the function/meaning of รับ in the surrounding clause/structure in which it appears? Is it, for example, connoting the idea that the world had ‘received’ or ‘got’ or ‘had’ Christmas? (and indeed, are these three suggestions alternative interpretations or equivalent ways of ‘catchingง the same idea?)

First of all, I am Thai. I have joined this forum to look back into my own language, culture and perhaps myself.:)

My english and my language skills in general are not great. However, I will try my best to help.

I think รับ here is shorten from ต้อนรับ which means greeting. The rough translation would be "The world nearly greeted Christmas with the world-shocking sabotage.

First of all, I am Thai. I have joined this forum to look back into my own language, culture and perhaps myself.:)

My english and my language skills in general are not great. However, I will try my best to help.

I think รับ here is shorten from ต้อนรับ which means greeting. The rough translation would be "The world nearly greeted Christmas with the world-shocking sabotage.

Thanks anchan42 - that's very helpful, and welcome. Its great to have one more native Thai speaker around. Hope you find the site useful - you'll certainly find much confusion among us learners of Thai that will benefit greatly from your input.

Archived