Draft plan to allow foreigners to work in 11 ‘reserved’ occupations

webfact

17 hours ago, mok199 said:

yes I went for an interview a while back...1st question ''did I have my own chair'' ..2nd question''.can I sit for hours ,sometimes in the middle of the walkway so people must walk aroundme''..3rd question ..''can I clap my hands loudly to draw attention''!!!  .i thought I nailed it..but...they never called back ...

You were  missing the vital ingredient.......the ability to kick in the head when required  usually while  the  victim was distracted..............I wish you luck in your next interview and a successful high kicking career.?

3 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

The white sacks are the ones im used to, they're around 20kg

The one from 40 years ago looks much larger although he doesn't seem to be carrying it up a ramp, he deserves credit for being able to even lift it and move it at his body weight

I saw another pic of some medium bags of what must have been finished rice.  A wee bit smaller maybe than the ones the guys are carrying on the ramps.  But clearly printed on the front was 50 kg.

The guy/guys I saw years ago had huge leg muscles, like piano legs.  Must have been samlor drivers, the ones who pedal around.  Bulked up.  I've been told that the Hmong hill tribe people in Laos would carry large amounts of rice and supplies up and down the mountains all day long, maybe 25-30 kg.   My kid probably carried 30 kg in a pack all day long as a Marine in Iraq, and he weighed less than 60 kg. 

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Because they can't get jobs back in their home countries?  :tongue:

Because. 

Its low hanging fruit for them. 

Any work they do is not really Thai law. Just visa and the like. 

There's always somebody who will accept the Brown paper envelopes. 

I was quoted (out of interest.)

25,000 to assist you get a visa to the U.K. plus the visa costs.

Oh we double check everything. 

And they Cannot appear on your behalf now. 

I did a DIY; do it yourself the other day and the person, only the person, is allowed to go into the interview. 

Went through in 8 days for the U.K.. 

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, Cheops said:

Are you living in Thailand? If so, please go back to wherever you came from.

Thank you for proving my point - you racist Thai cretin. [oh and by the way - no, I do not live in your toilet of a country thank God!]

Edited by ScammedInThailand

42 minutes ago, ScammedInThailand said:

Thank you for proving my point - you racist Thai cretin. [oh and by the way - no, I do not live in your toilet of a country thank God!]

Having a bad day dear, there there, keep calm, suck on your dummy will make you feel better.

On 5/31/2018 at 9:07 PM, gandalf12 said:

Totally agree with you. Maybe we should start a movement to have our home countries impose the same restrictions on Thais living in them as they do on us

decades ago, all of wakiki beach hotels were owned by Japanese except one.  etc...  Japanese saying was that they sold us electronics which became junk in a few years, they in turn bought up USA land which never expires.  But getting back to Thailand, IMO it seems that it is a very, very small country in the grand scheme of things and, once the floodgates of foreign ownership were to open, whatever land was for sale would be snapped up, along with a good amount of land not for sale, just as when the native Americans, within a very few years, were forced off their lands and out of their way  of life.  Same in Canada, as Farley Mowat's books, 'People of the Deer' etc...  will show.  Very wise of the powers that be to keep things within very constrained limits.  

Edited by Marpa47
dup
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 11:23 PM, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Was in Yangon last week, they have just changed their laws to allow 100% foreign ownership across many sectors and will likely open that up too. Malaysia also now allows 100% foreign ownership.

Thailand has never come close to reaching the level of an economic power that many had projected decades ago and this is just some of the reasons why.

Thailand will be left behind most Asean countries in the coming decades if it doesn't change it's xenophobic ways.

As for owning land, I now see what is happening in Vancouver where house prices are far out of range for the average Canadian, so maybe Thailand is right in keeping those laws as they are, but open it up for business at least. 

100% ownership now is no guarantee and it all may evaporate if a situation develops.  Very easy for some 'leaders' to make up rules as they go along.  Just observe the changes made under previous administration in USA and how dramatic the reversal of these same changes under the current administration.  And this is in a centuries old institution where there were, (used to be?), checks and balances.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marpa47 said:

decades ago, all of wakiki beach hotels were owned by Japanese except one.  etc...  Japanese saying was that they sold us electronics which became junk in a few years, they in turn bought up USA land which never expires.  But getting back to Thailand, IMO it seems that it is a very, very small country in the grand scheme of things and, once the floodgates of foreign ownership were to open, whatever land was for sale would be snapped up, along with a good amount of land not for sale, just as when the native Americans, within a very few years, were forced off their lands and out of their way  of life.  Same in Canada, as Farley Mowat's books, 'People of the Deer' etc...  will show.  Very wise of the powers that be to keep things within very constrained limits.  

Totally agree but it doesnt alter my post

On 6/1/2018 at 12:30 AM, roath said:

They don't....they have farang 'consultants'. Being a lawyer is a reserved occupation. 

When I get back to Loei, I'm going to do legal consulting.  I'm a Barister. 

I'll be on the end stool at Saloon Loei.

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:43 AM, Damrongsak said:

I thought baristers worked at coffee shops

civil engineers only?  I got a few degrees, one in mechanical engineering and I am pretty sure I am more competent than most of the so called Thai engineers I have seen.  Thailand is so messed up. But the ladies are cute, they speak in calm descending tones (usually) and the daily foot massages are kickass

On 6/6/2018 at 1:43 PM, Damrongsak said:

I'm a banister.  That may be close enough based on the legal stuff I have seen in Thailand!

On 6/1/2018 at 4:32 AM, observer90210 said:

Why not be fair and just by allowing foreigners to own one plot of land on which they would like to live their retirement ?

Sure.  But why not make a rule that Thai citicens can not work outside Thailand . 

On May 31, 2018 at 6:21 PM, new2here said:

I agree.. I do think that as should be the case with all nations - that labour rules should give first “opportunity” to any national/citizen of that country over a non-citizen — but if after such chance is given to all qualified nationals, IF there is still a shortage of required talent, then I think opening it up to non-citizens is beneficial and I agree that by doing so, you also tend to get the benefits of a wider range of work styles and product.

Or you could take it a step further and make it a level playing field, progress!

On 6/10/2018 at 1:01 AM, Dick Crank said:

Or you could take it a step further and make it a level playing field, progress!

... so wouldn’t go THAT far, as I do think that first opportunity should go to  any qualified national before a equally non-national...  

I’m not against the use of non-national labour per se, but I do think that as a matter of domestic policy that first opportunities should go to a countries own nationals before being open to others... but I don’t support hiring a national who happens to be less qualified over that of a higher qualified non-national, just because the former is a citizen and later is not...  I think the “best person for the job” is a good axiom and tends to produce improved results.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 5:29 AM, Damrongsak said:

"The Council of Engineers has criticised the plan. The civil-engineer occupation should remain reserved for Thais because it involves people’s safety, they said."

"Can't have any of that.  If they were safe, they'd breed like crazy and we'd be in a world of hurt.  Imagine what that would do to the traffic!"  said highway engineer Ho Lee Shitz, a second-generation immigrant.

I know an Australian who works as a civil engineer in Thailand. Or at least that's what he claims, I asked him once and said he's allowed to do only supervisory type work, so presumably this means he works as a manager but doesn't do any actual calculations or designing of any infrastructure. He is however the foreign spokesperson for the company and we're talking about an Australian engineering firm here. So there are certainly ways in which foreigners can work in such roles, maybe just not as engineers in the same position as Thais working underneath a boss, but rather, in higher level positions. Then again, if Thailand allowed any foreigner with an engineering degree to work as a junior engineer it would undermine the local society - there needs to be some protection of locals if they're exposed to endless competition like in the west everyone will be out of work.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:06 PM, John Egil said:

Sure.  But why not make a rule that Thai citicens can not work outside Thailand . 

Well turns out that some nations restrict Thai nationals from working in their country. If I understand correctly, Thais are prohibited from working in Saudi Arabia due to the two countries not sharing diplomatic relations. Only Hajj pilgrims can even travel there at all.

Singapore stopped hiring Thais for construction work because apparently they were lazy and drinking all day and has since hired Bangladeshis and Indonesians instead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 7:24 PM, Marpa47 said:

100% ownership now is no guarantee and it all may evaporate if a situation develops.  Very easy for some 'leaders' to make up rules as they go along.  Just observe the changes made under previous administration in USA and how dramatic the reversal of these same changes under the current administration.  And this is in a centuries old institution where there were, (used to be?), checks and balances.

Marpa47, you are right.  There is no question that if 100% foreign ownership of property were allowed then Thais would be pushed out of their own country.  Although I am not really happy about it, Thais are doing the right thing by keeping their jewels in the family.