Wat Ket - Any cyclists / runners know some good routes / spots?

Kohsamida

I moved from Suthep to Wat Ket last week and have been hunting for nice places to to ride and run, like quite roads or parks but everywhere I go is so congested with traffic, and I can;t find any parks suitable for running.  Over in Suthep there were plenty of places like the University, the Arboritum, the road up Doi Suthep, the roads going north to 700 Year Stadium, but over here in Wat Ket everything just seems so crazy busy.  Any suggestions for quiet peaceful cycling / running ?

Edited by Kohsamida

I moved from Suthep to Wat Ket last week and have been hunting for nice places to to ride and run, like quite roads or parks but everywhere I go is so congested with traffic, and I can;t find any parks suitable for running.  Over in Suthep there were plenty of places like the University, the Arboritum, the road up Doi Suthep, the roads going north to 700 Year Stadium, but over here in Wat Ket everything just seems so crazy busy.  Any suggestions for quiet peaceful cycling / running ?

I used to live in Wat Kate and it was hopeless but Jomtien is great for bike and run.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bill97 said:

I used to live in Wat Kate and it was hopeless but Jomtien is great for bike and run.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There MUST be somewhere half decent around here!  Agree about Jomtien when it comes to running.  I LOVE the run between Jomtien and Pratumnak Beach with the nice paths among all the shady trees right next to the beach with the ocean breeze.  Sooo nice ?  So is the park in Pratumnak.  Way less crazy traffic on the roads too which is a surprising contrast to Pattaya itself.

4 minutes ago, orang37 said:

Amphur Wat Ket encompasses a very big area; you might narrow it down a bit.

cheers, ~o:37;

Anywhere would be fine as long as I don't need to use the Super Highway to get to it.  As close as possible to the Ping River, if I had my choice.

Edited by Kohsamida

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved here too and have the same problem; nowhere to ride a bike or go for a run here in the Wat Ket part of town.  It just seems super crazy with the traffic going in all directions, even scooters riding on the sidewalks the wrong way Hahaha...MAD HOUSE!!

I also discovered the SuThep area.  It's real nice over by the University and the ride up the Doi is pretty amazing!  So, I just endure the 20 minute ride through traffic to get over there.  

There are some back roads though in Wat Ket that are OK.  Up around the Gym Kana golf course, the roads are nice for biking and running, and plenty of side roads to explore down. 

It's kind of surprising that there are no easily accessible parks in the area.  There is one; the 700 Year Park but it's located in the middle of a highway interchange which seems pretty strange!  I haven't actually been there yet but figure it's worth checking.

in the evenings or on weekends you might jog the long loop around prince royal's college, the sidewalks should be good enough where you need them. i don't know of any sizeable parks for biking but you aren't too far from wiang kum kam and that's a beautiful area for biking around.

2 hours ago, mcdiver said:

use the strava heat map and see where other runners and bikers are going, a super tool if you are moving or go holiday.   https://www.strava.com/heatmap#12.06/98.98806/18.77943/hot/all

Outstanding!  I’ve been using Strava for several months to track my activity but wasn’t aware of the heat map.  That’s incredible...Thanks!  It’s showing a bunch of places for both cycling and running here in WatKet.

Noticed you’re in Jomtien; i spend time there and I’m moving to Pratamnak in August.  Great area, I love it!

Edited by Kohsamida

On 6/1/2018 at 2:27 PM, Kohsamida said:

Anywhere would be fine as long as I don't need to use the Super Highway to get to it.  As close as possible to the Ping River, if I had my choice.

You're getting warmer. Go over to the river and go north. Roads on either side of the river are OK for cycling. Depending on how far you're going, the east side is better because the west bank has no single road following the river north of the middle ring road. Eventually, that river road on the east bank runs into Hwy 1001, the Phrao Road. Just before that (< 1 km) is a bridge to the west bank which leads to routes to MaeRim and MaeTaeng. If you stay on the east side, Hwy 1001 goes to the MaeNGad Dam and "Sticky Falls." Or you can cross Hwy 1001 to go over to the irrigation canal that takes you back to MaeJo University.

South along the river is similar. River roads can be boring because they tend to be flat. For hills, turn off east and west.

Happy exploring!

• Like 1