Primary school kids and google in classrooms

A friend of mines daughter got into trouble at school for looking up things of a sexual nature on google, during a class on computors. The kid is 8 years old. Can't name the school, but it is on Phuket.

Is it normal in this country to allow kids of any age unrestricted access to google in classrooms, with a teacher present?

Should the school be brought up short for not having parental controls on its kids computors in the classrooms?

I personally think that the school is totally irresponsible and failed to act as a teacher of young minds. Maybe the teachers are kids themselves and don't know how to use a search engine like startpage dot com, where an adult/teacher can censor adult content, videos and words?

The 'nanny program' to prevent students from looking up some content was on our school's computers a number of years back, but the program slowed everything down so much it made it virtually unusable.   Eventually it was dropped and efforts were made to keep a close eye on the students.   I have no idea if that was effective or not.  

On June 1, 2561 BE at 7:23 PM, Inepto Cracy said:

got into trouble at school for looking up things of a sexual nature on google, during a class on computors. The kid is 8 years old.

Since you mention " looking up things" (plural), it sounds like more than a case of accidentally stumbling on something sexual. I'd be more concerned about how an eight year old had acquired such an interest and vocabulary to initiate such searches.

Since you seem to worry about what is normal, maybe your  "friend of mines" needs to do a better job as  " a teacher of young minds" at home.

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Since you mention " looking up things" (plural), it sounds like more than a case of accidentally stumbling on something sexual. I'd be more concerned about how an eight year old had acquired such an interest and vocabulary to initiate such searches.

Since you seem to worry about what is normal, maybe your  "friend of mines" needs to do a better job as  " a teacher of young minds" at home.

8 Year old kids these days have far more mature minds and lateral thinking and problem solving, than some of their own thai teachers. Technology is propelling these kids learning abilities forward at warp speeds.

I have asked other parents who's kids are in the same class and all have restricted youtube and google on all their kids ipads and tablets at home.

Their feeling is the school is at fault and some of them, being farang, don't even bother going to see the head of school when called to do so, as whatever a farang says or suggests, goes in one ear and gets lost in the vacuum of empty time and space.

The problem is not at home bud, but at the school, so please comprehend my question as to why schools have unrestricted internet?

I don't think the schools IT teams know how to restrict their own internal internet.

Kiddle is the google version for kids. Although it’s very restrictive in finding what you need in comparison to google. 

In my experience, I think the children are allowed to use google but you have rules and procedures in place for ‘bad’ images inadvertently coming up on screen. The kids are trained to call the teacher at once. Also, there is a ‘dolphin’ on screen which the kids can click on where the screen gets covered until an adult arrives. 

In your case, with the child looking it up himself, that would breaking the rules but it depends on the school policy. It seems there is no policy there? 

Archived