Video: Road carnage? It's just a bit of fun for Thai media in Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

Video: Road carnage? It's just a bit of fun for Thai media in Pattaya

7.png

A video produced by Thai TV Channel seven appeared to make light of the issue of road safety and punishment.

With all the bells and whistles of a cheap Thai soap opera the video featured the jaunty voice of a commentator talking about the latest attempts by the Pattaya police to prevent death on the roads.

A number of students without helmets were seen doing roadside "punishments" like picking up bits of litter and push-ups instead of being in more serious trouble and having to pay fines.

The cops were even giving out free helmets to the teens. One smirking young man says he "forgot" his helmet. While the cop in charge handing over a free new helmet tells him to wear that in future.

Channel 7 called the video "7 Days in 7 Ways - Pattaya police crackdown on adherence to traffic regulations".

Thaivisa notes that the annual death toll from road accidents in Thailand is thought to be well in excess of 20,000.

A high proportion of the victims are motorcyclists without helmets. Thailand has been named as the most dangerous place in the world to drive.

Source: http://news.ch7.com/detail/288740

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-02

Yeah, of course they make a joke out of it. What should they do?
How long time have they tried to make Thai people respect laws and rules, and be observant to act the same way every time they do the same thing?
It just doesn´t work. They laugh at the reality anyway, so why don´t give them something to laugh at for real?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Yeah, of course they make a joke out of it. What should they do?
How long time have they tried to make Thai people respect laws and rules, and be observant to act the same way every time they do the same thing?
It just doesn´t work. They laugh at the reality anyway, so why don´t give them something to laugh at for real?

Substitute the word African America  for the world Thai and see how it works.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Doing something stupid just because someone else is doing it, does not make

you any smarter, but it can make you just as dead. Driving or riding on a

motorbike without a helmet is plain stupid, even a cheap one will help in a slow

speed crash..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Doing something stupid just because someone else is doing it, does not make

you any smarter, but it can make you just as dead. Driving or riding on a

motorbike without a helmet is plain stupid, even a cheap one will help in a slow

speed crash..

Yes and no.  I have found that the cheap one will drop its visor on you when you need to have it up in order to see properly.  In the daytime or in the rain, the visor is indispensable.  Driving at night with a tinted visor and mediocre headlights just doesn't work for me.  I would rather take my chances without the helmet than without good visibility.  I trust my eyes will help prevent the accident that the helmet might protect me from.  Better to avoid an accident than to require protection in one.  Unfortunately, I don't know where to get a quality helmet.  They're all "cheap" if you ask me.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I seen some quality helmets at some of the larger motorcycle stores,

much better than the 300 baht ones at Tesco.

I'm neither in Bangkok nor Chiangmai.  The Tesco / Big C variety is about the quality I've seen everywhere.

It's all about enforcement and there just isn't any in Pattaya.  Lots of lucrative roadblocks during daylight hours; lots of 'fines' collected.  After 4pm anarchy descends.  Drunk speeding drivers with no lights become the norm. Motorbike patrols would significantly reduce this carnage.