Prepare for more time departing svb airport.

Now they have body scanners at security... So you need to take your shoes off and go thru the scanner like they do in the USA. So this adds another minute per person x the millions that go thru! 3 hours before departure should still be enough, but be prepared for longer queues. Sunday afternoon took me an hour and 10 minutes from online check in queue to going thru immigration. The problem with online check in now is that everyone does it so the baggage drop queue is just as long as the normal queue. Soon it will be quicker to not do online check in!

Svb has to be the worst airport in Asia. The air con is not strong enough and not everywhere, the USB and charging stations 90 per cent do not work (attached pic, the only outlet that works!), the duty free is the same price or more expensive than what you can get outside the airport. The food is expensive and not worth it... 400 thb for burger King meal and 60 thb for can of coke! You cannot get Thai currency out in the atm after you go thru immigration so make sure you have a few hundred baht with you in case you want to buy expensive food. The wifi does not work ever. And the most funniest thing is that there are no signage in chinese even tho 70 per cent of the passengers are! Well done svb management, you are the smartest. foursquare_photo_tmp_camera.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've never had a problem with the wifi, quite the opposite. One hour and ten minutes from online check on is nothing. All airports food is more expensive. 90% of charging stations is a wild guess. I'm not Chinese so not bothered. I always enjoy my airport experience even though I'm departing. Worst? Do me a favour.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I've never had a problem with the wifi, quite the opposite. One hour and ten minutes from online check on is nothing. All airports food is more expensive. 90% of charging stations is a wild guess. I'm not Chinese so not bothered. I always enjoy my airport experience even though I'm departing. Worst? Do me a favour.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect
Have you been to hk and Singapore? 30 mins max thru immigration. And their air con works. And the wifi etc etc...

2 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

Have you been to hk and Singapore? 30 mins max thru immigration. And their air con works. And the wifi etc etc...

Both HK and S'pore often 10 to 15 minutes thru imm. 

How come? Simple answer - continuous professional complete all-inclusive data gathering, analysis and planning. Done. 

Agree with the cheating rates of food costs and of the duty free. Of course, it is always different, there, beyond and in the other place. But considering Thailand and the average salary and the cheap labour costs, 400 THB is a cheating price for a Burger King meal IMHO. As for duty-free, besides perhaps tobacco, the prices are not worth to trudge the packet in Swampy. 

But even Dubai requires proper checking if you don't want to get ripped off at Duty-Free. People just don't look at the prices, think they are making a great deal and seem to go crazy, once in the duty-free zone,  

In general, once you pass security, you are trapped with the cheating scam prices.  Prepare before and eat in the other airport joints before passing security at Swampy. Or bring your own sandwiches made from the local popular clubsanwich joint in town.

As for the for the rest, I don't find the airport all that bad, if you can handle the multi hour queues on arrival and departure. Sometimes the extra cost fast track gate is more crowded on departures then the nornal gates, so not really worth it.

• Like 1

I went out through "swampy" three weeks ago, landside to air side in 25 minutes, including a detour to get a re-entry permit! 

Came back in six days later, gate to baggage in 14 minutes.

Body scanners, pffft!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 6:03 PM, Crossy said:

Have you been to Manila?

Just one of the worst.

It always puzzles me how people come to such conclusion because of "expensive food, USB charger not working".

WiFi worked fine in the domestic gate area.

And if my life depends on being online I book a package for 20 Baht/one day on my mobile.

Mate arrived from Vienna last week in the early morning (5:30h).

Out in 15 minutes.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I would agree the air conditioning is inefficient.   Seems to be the trend designing these sexy looking "modern" airports, but IMO, wastes a lot of money and material on dead space using way too much glass surface area.

Last time out of Swampy, we flew Premium Eco with Cathay Pacific, so didn't have lounge access.  Gave the airport service's paid lounge a try, uses the Air France lounge which I'd never been in before.  Very comfortable, nice selection of hot and cold food, good air con and wireless.  IMO, if you're not flying 1st/Business, well worth the additional cost for a comfortable wait away from the main airport scrum.

eat downstairs, first level Magic Food court.  Quite reasonable.  Granted can not do that after checking in and going through security.  But few airports could afford to offer cheap food at those locations.  chicago O'Hare was historically known for expensive food.  I just flew out of Miami and I got to say their food court was reasonable.  Certainly not a 50% markup or anything like that.  San Diego airport was OK.  Not a bargain, but not a gouge

14 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I would agree the air conditioning is inefficient.   Seems to be the trend designing these sexy looking "modern" airports, but IMO, wastes a lot of money and material on dead space using way too much glass surface area.

Last time out of Swampy, we flew Premium Eco with Cathay Pacific, so didn't have lounge access.  Gave the airport service's paid lounge a try, uses the Air France lounge which I'd never been in before.  Very comfortable, nice selection of hot and cold food, good air con and wireless.  IMO, if you're not flying 1st/Business, well worth the additional cost for a comfortable wait away from the main airport scrum.

ah.  For the last 6 trips I flew EVA premier Elite from LAX.  Loved the big seats and recline. But the latest 777 seats in that class don't seem to have foot rests that recline, and the seats look way smaller.  I looked at Cathay Pacific reviews on Youtube and plan to use them on my next trip.  How did you like the seats/service in flight?

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

ah.  For the last 6 trips I flew EVA premier Elite from LAX.  Loved the big seats and recline. But the latest 777 seats in that class don't seem to have foot rests that recline, and the seats look way smaller.  I looked at Cathay Pacific reviews on Youtube and plan to use them on my next trip.  How did you like the seats/service in flight?

Good/fine, still same reclining seats you see online, separate foot rest under the seat in front.   IMV, as long as we can stay out of regular Eco, the rest is gravy! ?

CX has upgraded us to Business on the HKG>LAX sector the last two trips, but no such luck on the return flights.   I'm not a die hard CX'er, rather select them for price of PE, typically on a promotion of some kind, and the One World FFP connection.  Less of an issue but meh, I seem to prefer HKG over Taipei. 

Wasn't aware Eva changed their Elite seats until your comment, checked it out on YT just now.  Thanks.

If you do fly CX 777, don't book the middle, front bulkhead seats in the PE cabin to avoid the continuous problem of pax trying to squeeze through from the left/port side, to reach the toilet on the right/starboard side.  Not sure if that's an issue in the EVA 777 Elite cabin. 

7 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Good/fine, still same reclining seats you see online, separate foot rest under the seat in front.   IMV, as long as we can stay out of regular Eco, the rest is gravy! ?

CX has upgraded us to Business on the HKG>LAX sector the last two trips, but no such luck on the return flights.   I'm not a die hard CX'er, rather select them for price of PE, typically on a promotion of some kind, and the One World FFP connection.  Less of an issue but meh, I seem to prefer HKG over Taipei. 

Wasn't aware Eva changed their Elite seats until your comment, checked it out on YT just now.  Thanks.

If you do fly CX 777, don't book the middle, front bulkhead seats in the PE cabin to avoid the continuous problem of pax trying to squeeze through from the left/port side, to reach the toilet on the right/starboard side.  Not sure if that's an issue in the EVA 777 Elite cabin. 

The toilet was not an issue on the EVA, but I know what you mean.  thanks