Education reform to make officials accountable

webfact

Education reform to make officials accountable

By CHULARAT SAENGPASSA 
THE NATION 

5b705a3a13cf5044549ab9e221d151cd.jpeg

SCHOOLS TO BE AT THE HEART OF CHANGES PROPOSED BY PANEL

PINNING accountability will be the key to the efforts of the Independent Committee for Education Reform (ICER) to overhaul Thailand’s educational sector. 

Created a year ago, the ICER has only a two-year term. This means it will have to push the pace next year to ensure that it has solidly paved the way for education reforms to materialise. 

Among the many elements the ICER seeks to introduce is “accountability”.

540f9a78d32281f71dd3f5bb9401ca10.jpeg

Dr Charas

“Thailand has fallen into an educational crisis because of indifference and the lack of contributions from concerned parties. They sometimes take educational matters for granted. They do not really show or take responsibility,” ICER chairman Dr Charas Suwanwela said recently. 

Dr Chalermchai Boonyaleepun, who chairs the ICER subcommittee on structural reform, said he would propose to the government that agencies in charge of educational management be made accountable if education was of poor quality. 

“We will redesign the structure to make it clear who is responsible for what. Then, if any problem occurs, the agency in charge of that part will be liable for the consequences,” he said.

Both Charas and Chalermchai were speaking at a press conference on the ICER’s work during its first year. 

f246c89e7ad4f5c4f601ccfdf4e4a128.jpeg

Earlier this year, the Equitable Education Fund came into effect. 

The Early Childhood Development Bill, the National Higher Education Bill, and the Innovative Education Area Bill, meanwhile, have already reached the government.

The draft bill on the Curriculum Development Institute (Public Organisation) is now ready for submission to the Cabinet. 

“Schools will be at the heart of the education reform, as we aim to boost their competitiveness in the international arena,” Charas said. “We can support schools with curriculum, digital platforms and other requirements.”

He said great schools would make a good impact on teachers and students. Charas believed that for the education reform to be successful, schools should become autonomous.

“Those overseeing schools should play just a supporting role,” he said. 

He believed that when many schools grouped together, innovative education would materialise. 

According to Chalermchai, about 3,000 Pracha Rath schools and 40 Rath Ruam Pattana schools should be ready to transform

themselves into autonomous schools during the pilot phase of the move to give autonomy to schools across the country.

ffd698ef411c2952e946388c63d7797c.jpeg

Chalermchai also emphasised that the Education Ministry should undergo structural overhaul to become lean.

“Today, the Education Ministry is very big. Its workforce is even bigger than that of the Armed and police forces combined,” he said.

“And, the Education Ministry also receives a bigger budget.”

He recommended a review of all independent agencies and all agencies under the Education Ministry to curb redundancy.

Kraiyos Patrawart, who sits on the Equitable Education Fund’s board, said the scope of the fund’s responsibility would not overlap that of other agencies.

“We will work in coordination with relevant agencies,” he said.

Kraiyos supported the Innovative Education Area Bill, as he believed it would enhance integration and collaboration of all sectors in regard to education. 

Charas said Rayong and Si Sa Ket provinces would be among the first provinces to get the innovative education areas.

“We will develop such an area in Rayong first because it has a variety of industries. It has special needs,” Charas said. 

As for Si Sa Ket, he said an innovative education area would be developed there to become a model. 

“Si Sa Ket has poverty problems. But we will prove that it too can have innovative education,” Charas said. 

He expected innovative education areas to spring up in a few areas before the start of the second semester of the 2018 academic year.

According to Charas, when relevant parties can provide good schools in all provinces of Thailand, “tea-money problems” in the educational sector will automatically end.

It is widely known that some parents have tried to offer “tea money” to Thailand’s top schools in a bid to have their children enrolled there. 

bbabe4254b31dabf629181b0021a1171.jpeg

Yuvadee Nakapadungrat, who chairs the ICER subcommittee on providing educational services, said the Curriculum Development Institute would play a key role in many aspects of education.

“The curriculum should be improved to tackle illiteracy among some students, with the help of some new tools,” she said. “Also, we have to prepare a curriculum that can ensure even those with special needs can access quality education.”

She added that guidelines would also be developed to boost integration of relevant agencies such as the Office of Basic Education Commission and the Institute for the Promotion of Teaching Science and Technology in curriculum development. 

“Moreover, we will provide digital platforms whereby teachers can find knowledge and teaching resources,” Yavadee said with a bright hope of better education for Thais.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30346892

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-04

16 minutes ago, car720 said:

The joke of the century.

Trying to hold these people accountable or responsible is like trying to hold  your wife accountable or responsible.  A fantasy at best.  :cheesy::cheesy:

Yeah, that definately doesn´t sound like something that would be possible to accomplish.
Headline: "Relationship reform to make your wife accountable"

Edited by Get Real
  • Haha 1

Nothing will change as long as the current classroom culture prevails - copying is permitting and even encouraged, passive learning, lack of focus, cultural activities preempt academics resulting in classes being cancelled or shortened or classes interrupted by administrators with regularity. I am a teacher and parent of a school- age child. Thailand has no more or fewer problems than western countries. The aforementioned are specific to Thailand. 

• Like 2

education in Thailand does not end at 3pm... set up a ''home program''and take the time and teach your children...do not trust these bozo's with your childs future...except for that woman .bottom row far right..she looks like a real keener....

• Thanks 1

"...if any problem occurs, the agency in charge of that part will be liable for the consequences..."

And nothing will be done to any individual, in order that no one loses face. As with every other government entity, not much liability for incompetency. 

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

To fight over every last Baht in order to ensure that it makes its way down to the student level?

Definitely yes for the first part of the sentence...

For the 2nd part: what was the question again?? :coffee1:

4 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Right, KiwiKiwi. It is all hot air - as always. Talk, talk, talk - empty phrases, re-hashed buzzwords, pious grandstanding - and actually DOING NOTHING.

Why?

Because the powers who control this land do not want the proles to be properly educated. Imagine if most of them could read English: what truths they would discover about their Masters. They could read all about history, and geography (e.g. Germany, and who loves to spend time there), and on and on - masses of revelations about their own nation and the people who run it.

Better to keep the  masses dumbed down with silly soap operas, total ignorance of the world (and world languages) and spun around with antiquated costumes and utterly unenlightened concepts.

Yes, of course, you're absolutely right, and I've written as much in these same hallowed columns. I can't imagine what I was doing trying to apply common sense to these louts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Bloated is the right word. Even has a workforce larger than China Education Ministry who serve 1.4 billion. Some serious down sizing and re-structuring are needed and are way overdue. 

Yet still the classes contain forty or more pupils!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, webfact said:

According to Charas, when relevant parties can provide good schools in all provinces of Thailand, “tea-money problems” in the educational sector will automatically end.

It is widely known that some parents have tried to offer “tea money” to Thailand’s top schools in a bid to have their children enrolled there

In a bid! It is the only way. My daughter has just started in M1. Although quite satisfied with the fee paying RC school she was at, I looked at the two prestigious government secondary schools. Well resourced, well equipped, plenty of foreign teachers, large classes (35+) and it was made quite clear that north of 30 K would be needed to get her in. That was before all the extras for English programs and so on.

She is staying where she is, where she is happy, the classes are around 30, and the fees are ThB8 K a semester.

A friend of mine has a brother who is the principal of a secondary school. She tells me that he reckons that the first month of the me academic year is worth ThB 180 K to him...

Untill this is stopped (it won't be of course) government education is going nowhere.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Yet still the classes contain forty or more pupils!

That's because the balance is wrong, it's top-heavy. waaay too many managers and not enough teachers, or anything like it.

The results in terms of how many Thais cannot speak Thai properly (65%), and the numbers failing core supjects (50% of Thai students fail ALL subjects) show that the department as a whole is incompetent. There is no just other conclusion availabe to us if we have an IQ larger than our front doors.

But, this is Thailand, and nobody can reasonably be surprised. Incompetence is about the only thing Thais are good at, and they really are excellent at incompetence.

Does the PM do anything about it? Nope. He is also incompetent and I have real doubts about his IQ being higher than that of my front door. Still, more grist to the mill and an election coming up where the majority of Thais voting are also incompetent, under-educated, under-skilled and so on. The prospects for Thailand after a military government has failed for 4 years to deliver a single objective they claimed mendaciously to have justified their seizing of power. Every single objective: FAIL.

It really is the blind leading the stupid in this place.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1

But honestly, it doesn't have to be circus music playing.

I really wonder if the fact that our host culture is NOT a reading culture flat-out precludes the possibility of real progress in education/knowledge dev/learning, whether in test scores or analytical/problem-solving skills..

and whether the simple fact that your average Thai residence has an average of maybe 1 book in it doesn't render all education reform, top-down or grassroots,  shuffling deck chairs around on the Titanic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, seminomadic said:

But honestly, it doesn't have to be circus music playing.

I really wonder if the fact that our host culture is NOT a reading culture flat-out precludes the possibility of real progress in education/knowledge dev/learning, whether in test scores or analytical/problem-solving skills..

and whether the simple fact that your average Thai residence has an average of maybe 1 book in it doesn't render all education reform, top-down or grassroots,  shuffling deck chairs around on the Titanic.

The sad truth is that the Thai culture is a culture that generally does not sincerely value education (unlike, say, the Chinese or the Indian cultures). Anything that involves a lot of effort (and studying and getting higher education does - or should do) is too much bother for the generality of Thais. That is my impression, anyway.

47 minutes ago, Eligius said:

The sad truth is that the Thai culture is a culture that generally does not sincerely value education (unlike, say, the Chinese or the Indian cultures). Anything that involves a lot of effort (and studying and getting higher education does - or should do) is too much bother for the generality of Thais. That is my impression, anyway.

yes and no, seems to me the better educated the parents the more effort put into their kids , although this might be a bit of a generalisation as I know and see many other parents who don't have a good education endeavouring to get a  better education for their kids - however, unfortunately most parents don't have the back-ground to drive their kids forward and put all their faith in the school,  also many others just don't have the resources for any extra tutoring after school even if they can see the benefits.   

It's sad actually as most Thai kids are fairly bright but badly let down by a flawed education system

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

That's because the balance is wrong, it's top-heavy. waaay too many managers and not enough teachers, or anything like it.

The results in terms of how many Thais cannot speak Thai properly (65%), and the numbers failing core supjects (50% of Thai students fail ALL subjects) show that the department as a whole is incompetent. There is no just other conclusion availabe to us if we have an IQ larger than our front doors.

But, this is Thailand, and nobody can reasonably be surprised. Incompetence is about the only thing Thais are good at, and they really are excellent at incompetence.

Does the PM do anything about it? Nope. He is also incompetent and I have real doubts about his IQ being higher than that of my front door. Still, more grist to the mill and an election coming up where the majority of Thais voting are also incompetent, under-educated, under-skilled and so on. The prospects for Thailand after a military government has failed for 4 years to deliver a single objective they claimed mendaciously to have justified their seizing of power. Every single objective: FAIL.

It really is the blind leading the stupid in this place.

Harsh - but true , although I  see  change, a slow change taking place over the 17 years I been here, the first half involved in education and the rest close to education - with all the old "useless" under educated teachers slowly turning up their toes and changes being made and implemented in teaching - in time things will improve. 

I might add that the western world isn't fairing all that well when it comes to educating their kids either.