Peculiar Thai Custom?

llso

When I was living and working in Thailand about 20 years ago, myself and my colleague where invited to our very affluent Thai Partner for dinner. We went to his house and enjoyed a nice Western meal of Steak, potatoes, and vegetables, and a glass of wine. After a pleasant evening and discussion about the business, at the end of the dinner he pulled out a receipt from the Villa market and a small pad and paper.  After some calculating we were each essentially presented with a bill that was our portion of the expense of the meal. Needless to say being westerners we were quite surprised by this and it became a great source of amusement and a story to tell. 

Just recently I met someone very casually and we got to talking about Thailand. He told me that he had been to Thailand about 20 years ago when a coworker from Thailand invited him to visit. He stayed with the friends family and had a very nice time. He then began to tell me that one of the most curious things was that when he was leaving his friend presented him with a bill on how much he should pay his family for staying with them He was surprised by this as he had taken them out to eat and bought small gifts to show his appreciation. He was also assured that this bill was less than what he would have payed at a hotel. As he was relating this story to me I began laughing and then explained to him my experience with being presented with a bill at someones house that invited us for dinner. I told my friend who was with me at the dinner the story of the guy who got a bill for staying at a friends home. Both of us have never heard of anything like this before as being a common thing. We both at the same time concluded to write about this on Thaivisa and see if others have experienced anything similar.

Edited by llso
mistake

4 minutes ago, llso said:

at the end of the dinner he pulled out a receipt from the Villa market and a small pad and paper.  After some calculating we were each essentially presented with a bill that was our portion of the expense of the meal.

Must have been a Hasher?:whistling:

28 minutes ago, llso said:

After a pleasant evening and discussion about the business, at the end of the dinner he pulled out a receipt from the Villa market and a small pad and paper

Well I hope you at least included a big spender 25-50% tip and not the usual cheap charlie handful of coins!

• Haha 1

And you wonder why your host was very affluent? Being a business dinner he probably had it all on expenses too.

Who cooked dinner? Did his wife cook, him, or did he hire in a caterer? Did you mis-understand the occasion? Sounds weird.

Apart from that, never heard of this before.

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

My experience was the opposite, went for dinner at a restaurant with some reasonably wealthy people and this guy was not happy when I attempted to pay the bill.

I have found that to be my experience over the years.

Even buying a present for my well off Thai friend ends up with free beer and food when out in our local pub restaurant, refusal can offend. 

i have experienced similar to both ends of the spectrum, insistence that im 'rich' (despite being unemployed) and therefore i should pay the bill.

as well as borderline contempt at the suggestion we split the bill regardless of the situation with the 'host' insisting quite theatrically that they will pay.

almost like a soap opera pose.

I put it down to assumed social ranking and whos trying to impress who vs whos being a sponge or just skint.

if i care at all about my dining partner/s i offer to cover it this and they pay next time... 

they accept this, ,, every time ??

7 hours ago, grollies said:

And you wonder why your host was very affluent? Being a business dinner he probably had it all on expenses too.

Who cooked dinner? Did his wife cook, him, or did he hire in a caterer? Did you mis-understand the occasion? Sounds weird.

Apart from that, never heard of this before.

It was a very casual affair at his home , The food was prepared by his "servants". I don't want to divulge too much info.

Weird indeed,

11 hours ago, llso said:

... at the end of the dinner he pulled out a receipt from the Villa market and a small pad and paper.  After some calculating we were each essentially presented with a bill that was our portion of the expense of the meal ...

Sorry, I am going to call BS on this.

Your host was able to calculate your bill with pen and paper? Even in the late 20th century Thais were using calculators.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, samsensam said:

OP; troll or mug. take your pick.

I am a long time poster to TV and can assure you I have better things to do than make up fictitious stories on an Internet forum,. I'm not quite sure what a "Mug" is but it doesn't sound good. Perhaps others are nor willing to admit they were duped. Anyway glad we could all have some fun with the topic and enjoyed some of the comments.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I am a long time poster to TV and can assure you I have better things to do than make up fictitious stories on an Internet forum,. I'm not quite sure what a "Mug" is but it doesn't sound good. Perhaps others are nor willing to admit they were duped. Anyway glad we could all have some fun with the topic and enjoyed some of the comments.

How were you duped?

Wow...this is pretty weird!!! A affluent friend invites you for dinner and later presents you the bill for the dinner and even he or his wife cooks the dinner??

sounds pretty rude to me!!! Back time in NL a good friend of mine comes almost every Saturday to my place to have dinner and watch movies...I cook most of the times and buy the groceries on my costs...I have never asked my friend for the money for the costs...he almost most of the time gives me money without me asking for it. 

As a Thai friend of mine told me...nothing is for free, especially in Thailand. I’ve learned from him when a stranger/someone you hardly know offer you to drink with them a bottle of whiskey ? for example and when again you will drink with them you’ll have to buy bottle of whiskey to join drinking with them.

happened with me once...a nice stereo shopkeeper asked me to join them drinking whiskey and he even bought soup for me!!! I first had no clue that I will have to do that too for return after my Thai friend told me this. Anyhow I did bought a quite expensive Bluetooth speaker at his place...when I was there for a drink I did not buy it yet but was for kind of demonstration of the speaker he had on outside his shop while he and his mates were drinking.

in the other hand in the village while drinking loukhau with my bro and cousins and mates they asked me for some money for a new bottle I was quite bit drunk and said sure...I wasn’t sure in the beginning about this buying a bottle...so in the group every one paid each bottle or a share...

now or I understand the point of view what a friend of mine told me about.

Twenty years ago Thailand was in the middle of a financial breakdown, I knew a neighbour in Bkk who said, while cooking and selling noodles at his ornate front gates, "this is only temporary, tomorrow the Bank is taking back the car!" "How is this a good thing" I said, "I've already paid 3 million baht, so they'll have to give me my money back". He was not pleased when I explained to him how the system really worked! 

Things were really bad during those years!  ?

20 hours ago, TPI said:

Twenty years ago Thailand was in the middle of a financial breakdown, I knew a neighbour in Bkk who said, while cooking and selling noodles at his ornate front gates, "this is only temporary, tomorrow the Bank is taking back the car!" "How is this a good thing" I said, "I've already paid 3 million baht, so they'll have to give me my money back". He was not pleased when I explained to him how the system really worked! 

Things were really bad during those years!  ?

Excellent Point