Police Patrol Surprise Visit

Shoeless Joe

The provincial police showed up in our village and parked their black SUV up the road across from the village hospital next door to us.  I watched them from my front porch swing get out and walk to the hospital first then down our way talking with our two neighbors across the street. They didn't check any IDs.

Then the RTP and all my neighbors from across the street came over to our house, the RTP main guy spoke english to tell me what was going on and spoke Thai to my wife.  The neighbors all joined in talking to the police and amongst themselves when my wife's sister came running out from next door to see what was going on.  Big crowd and my wife brought out a case of cold water for the police when she went to get my passport.  We all had a good time, plenty of laughing, and a very fun comfortable atmosphere. 

All the RTV officers each talked a little bit to me and then wanted to take photos with me holding up my passport, and shaking hands.  I printed my name and signed a list that had a few other foriegner's names.  They were making a census for immigration of all foriegners in villages going from amphur to amphur in our Provence.

Next they started down the street and turned left on the river road towards the next street over just as some other officers came walking down the street and followed in the SUV.

Nothing scary, uncomfortable, or  hard@$$.  We all enjoyed the experience and general questions of interest were asked, definately not an interview or inquisition.  Not once did any of the RTP look in my passport, just wanted the photos.

If you stay legal, follow the rules, and have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about or nothing to fear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

The provincial police showed up in our village and parked their black SUV up the road across from the village hospital next door to us.  I watched them from my front porch swing get out and walk to the hospital first then down our way talking with our two neighbors across the street. They didn't check any IDs.

Then the RTP and all my neighbors from across the street came over to our house, the RTP main guy spoke english to tell me what was going on and spoke Thai to my wife.  The neighbors all joined in talking to the police and amongst themselves when my wife's sister came running out from next door to see what was going on.  Big crowd and my wife brought out a case of cold water for the police when she went to get my passport.  We all had a good time, plenty of laughing, and a very fun comfortable atmosphere. 

All the RTV officers each talked a little bit to me and then wanted to take photos with me holding up my passport, and shaking hands.  I printed my name and signed a list that had a few other foriegner's names.  They were making a census for immigration of all foriegners in villages going from amphur to amphur in our Provence.

Next they started down the street and turned left on the river road towards the next street over just as some other officers came walking down the street and followed in the SUV.

Nothing scary, uncomfortable, or  hard@$$.  We all enjoyed the experience and general questions of interest were asked, definately not an interview or inquisition.  Not once did any of the RTP look in my passport, just wanted the photos.

If you stay legal, follow the rules, and have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about or nothing to fear.

Don't you wonder WHY they need to do this? I have many foreign friends living in the UK but they don't get visited by the police. They might be very jovial about it, but in a country with little freedom of speech, with an unelected military government which has passed laws enabling them to do whatever they want to anyone at any time .......

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Don't you wonder WHY they need to do this? I have many foreign friends living in the UK but they don't get visited by the police. They might be very jovial about it, but in a country with little freedom of speech, with an unelected military government which has passed laws enabling them to do whatever they want to anyone at any time .......

I don't wonder why, I know why.  To insure that all marriage extensions are indeed real marriages and that those on any type extension when reporting their address are not doing so illegally. They may also be following up on their list of overstays.  I hope that helps.  My second visit was simply a census, should I wonder why?  Always wondering why about everything little thing that's different and comparing them to your home country is simply not for me.  I quit asking why a long time ago about politics and such things.  After all, I except my situations, do things legally, follow rules, and it is not my country.  I don't care about my home country's politics, never did, why should I start asking why here?  I'll let you do all the worrying and asking why when the answers might be actually right in front of you.  It's your time.  Maybe you haven't figured out yet that not all countries do things the same as the UK.  I'm really glad Thailand wasn't colonized by the UK or do things the UK way.  Thailand is its own special country, and don't ask me why.

I found both visits quite amusing.  My only marriage VISA extension visit was as well quite pleasant with no worries or reasons to question why.

I way prefer that initial immigration visit over the intimidating interview for my wife's green card plus we had to go to them.

Minor details and minor matters.  No worries and no whys.  Make a mountain over a hump in the dirt?  I personally step over it or go around it and never wonder why I had to.  I'm here to enjoy retirement, not to become some powerless advocate.

I think it depends on the type of Visa. 

If you are on retirement visa, then the only proof is the bank.

They don't need to go to your house to verify.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If you are on retirement visa, then the only proof is the bank.

I am on a retirement extension and have never given any information about any bank or bank account.  You really do not know what you are talking about.

• Like 2