Supporting documents for all UK Visas to be digitally scanned from 15 June.

Waiting is horrible , but a slow reply is nothing to worry about just yet.

Those of us who have had the misfortune to need to apply when everything is clearly in a state of flux , have no choice but to sit and wait.

We were lucky ,  as applied just before the inevitable bureaucratic log jam the ' improved for your convenience ' system had time to congeal.

For those waiting it is probably true to say no news is at least not bad news. Very inconvenient though as clearly no plans can be made until a definite answer emerges from the Delhi bog.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Maradona 10 said:

I'm beginning to wish I'd just stumped up the 10k for a quick turnaround, this waiting is frustrating.

Btw, I wonder if they can still guarantee the quick turnaround now it's being processed in that sh!thole?

I think that your 15 days is up on 30th July......................... good luck.

You could have had an answer in 24 hours..................

Super Priority Visa...........43,976 Baht

Get a visa decision in 24 hours

The Super Priority Visa service is the fastest way to secure a visa decision. It is available if you are applying for any of these types of visa:
  • All visitor visa customers (excluding Commonwealth, Overseas domestic workers and Overseas territory)

A friend (the sponsor)  just called the UKVI  helpline.

The timing for a decision was becoming quite critical as his partner is booked on a flight on Friday.

She submitted her application on 4th July and day 15 is the 25th

He was advised that "the visa was approved on Friday" (day 12).

Contact UK Visas and Immigration in English

You can call or email English-speaking staff with a question about your application.

By phone
Telephone: 00 44 203 481 1736
Monday to Friday, 24 hours
Calls cost £1.37 per minute on top of your standard network charges.

By email
Email UK Visas and Immigration.
Emails enquiries cost £5.48. You will not be charged for any follow-up emails about the same enquiry.

You’ll get a reply to your email within 2 days, except on Saturdays, Sundays and UK public holidays.

53 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

He was advised that "the visa was approved on Friday" (day 12).

I'm surprised that they gave that information out over the phone, I'm also quite surprised the call centre staff even had access that information as they're contracted out.

Nevertheless good news for the applicant and the sponsor.

21 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I'm surprised that they gave that information out over the phone, I'm also quite surprised the call centre staff even had access that information as they're contracted out.

Nevertheless good news for the applicant and the sponsor.

Mmmm, so it's good news when getting the visa, not a formality as some would lead to believe.

Btw, this thing about 96% of visit visas being approved is not something I believe.

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

A friend (the sponsor)  just called the UKVI  helpline.

May I ask, did he call from the UK or abroad? Do they put you on hold initially?

I'd love to know how long a call to them with last, i.e. how much it will cost.

3 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

Btw, this thing about 96% of visit visas being approved is not something I believe.

Those statistics are collated on the raw data from the results of the application all outcomes, they’re presented to Ministers and are public records, I doubt very much if they’re fudged.

I don’t think the feedback on this, and similar, forum, is indicative of the full range of results.

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

Those statistics are collated on the raw data from the results of the application all outcomes, they’re presented to Ministers and are public records, I doubt very much if they’re fudged.

I don’t think the feedback on this, and similar, forum, is indicative of the full range of results.

No of course, but surely it can be a 'guide' No way I believe the 96% shout..anyway it's not important. It basically means every person who applies get the visa?

22 minutes ago, Maradona 10 said:

No of course, but surely it can be a 'guide' No way I believe the 96% shout..anyway it's not important. It basically means every person who applies get the visa?

Certainly, anyone who applies and meets the laid down criteria will get a visa..

He called from the UK. I don't think it was a long call...I will enquire.

Unlike, say, the budget airlines I don't think that UKVI see this as a major income stream. I imagine they are trying to deter unnecessary calls and recover service costs along the way.

Is it a big no-no to visit VFS in person and inquire about the status? How would one have been notified about their visa if they hadn't opted for the SMS service, considering emails don't seem to be sent out anymore? 

30 minutes ago, mnop said:

Is it a big no-no to visit VFS in person and inquire about the status? How would one have been notified about their visa if they hadn't opted for the SMS service, considering emails don't seem to be sent out anymore? 

Personally, I doubt that you will get through the VfS door - and in any event, I am not sure how 'linked' VfS are to UKVI.

Had you not chosen sms you would have received an email to say that the documents were ready for collection/dispatch. I can't imagine why anyone would not choose the sms option.

mnop - from my friend (sponsor) who made the call:_

I went through the automated process of keying in my card details then went on hold for about 7 minutes. Charging then starts once you speak to the advisor. I was asked no questions except to give the case number, my questions were answered quickly and concisely. I extended the call time as I ensured there was nothing that could be done other than to wait for the post. Total call length was 11 minutes (7+4) We couldn't get into further details because of data protection.

On 6/5/2018 at 12:12 PM, CeeGee said:

I think this going to lead to huge delays at VFS, we are submitting a VV application tomorrow, included as required,copy of sponsors passport  24 pages, bank statements for six months(2 accounts)17 pages, sponsors and applicants letters 2 pages, transfer of funds records 2 pages,skype call records 2 pages, plus about six or so misc pages as required.In total about 50 pages.Thats not counting the header sheets.

All of which are stated by the UK visa as essential documents to be included.Going by my work experience,we used to scan medical records, that will take at least half an hour to scan, not counting the time it takes when pages get stuck in the scanner.Also from experience of most scanners, it is not usual for the feed tray to pick up two pages at once and only actually scan one.

I just hope that the VFS staff are paying attention when they put the items through the scanner,as I can see pages going missing quite easily.

Just glad the application is tomorrow, would hate to be amongst the guinea pigs who are the first applicants under the new system 

For a visitor visa you are certainly sending in far too much, they certainly do not need every page of your passport data page is enough

2 minutes ago, MaprangHolmes said:

For a visitor visa you are certainly sending in far too much, they certainly do not need every page of your passport data page is enough

Why bump a 3 month old post?? But yea it never ceazes to amaze me how some people are happy to hand over their whole lives to these pen pushers just to visit the UK.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

mnop - from my friend (sponsor) who made the call:_

I went through the automated process of keying in my card details then went on hold for about 7 minutes. Charging then starts once you speak to the advisor. I was asked no questions except to give the case number, my questions were answered quickly and concisely. I extended the call time as I ensured there was nothing that could be done other than to wait for the post. Total call length was 11 minutes (7+4) We couldn't get into further details because of data protection.

Thank you very much for sharing! 

So that call would have cost, for 4 minutes,  £5.48 - the same as an email, but faster and he learned of the outcome on the call. Going to get right on it.

3 hours ago, mnop said:

I’m not sure that pitching up at the VFS office would be of any use, even if you were allowed in the office I doubt if anybody would be able to answer your question.

They do no more than receive the envelope containing the passport from the embassy and pass the sealed envelope onto the applicant on its return.

51 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I’m not sure that pitching up at the VFS office would be of any use, even if you were allowed in the office I doubt if anybody would be able to answer your question.

They do no more than receive the envelope containing the passport from the embassy and pass the sealed envelope onto the applicant on its return.

Just an idle question OG,......

Presumably, under the old system the papers   + passport would be sent to the embassy. Once a pproved the passport would have the visa sticker placed in it and everything returned to VfS for collection/dispatch.

What happens now. ... everything is scanned to India and the passport retained at VfS, or passed to the embassy. Who holds/inserts the visa stickers  ?

I submitted the application on June 29 via VFS, and now is 16 working days, no any Emails at all! 

This driving me crazy, also regretting did no choose the SMS service, but at least they should shoot me a email about the delay right?

I tried to email them on Sunday, but somehow can not pay them successfully, does anyone manage to email them? 

11 minutes ago, BeibeiBKK said:

I submitted the application on June 29 via VFS, and now is 16 working days, no any Emails at all! 

This driving me crazy, also regretting did no choose the SMS service, but at least they should shoot me a email about the delay right?

I tried to email them on Sunday, but somehow can not pay them successfully, does anyone manage to email them? 

There is no guarantee they would have sent you an SMS anyway. I put mine in 9th July, I'm tempted to call that number and pay gbp5.48 but since I'm only 10 days in that would be somewhat churlish of me?

What happens now. ... everything is scanned to India and the passport retained at VfS, or passed to the embassy. Who holds/inserts the visa stickers  ? [\quote] The passport goes to the Embassy, the UKVI have retained a small team of locally employed staff, I understand seven.
They will insert the visas into the passports, if need be issue refusal letters, or make telephone calls on behalf of the ECO’s if necessary.
VFS receive the pack contain the passport with either the visa or refusal letter.

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:
1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

What happens now. ... everything is scanned to India and the passport retained at VfS, or passed to the embassy. Who holds/inserts the visa stickers  ? [\quote] The passport goes to the Embassy, the UKVI have retained a small team of locally employed staff, I understand seven.
They will insert the visas into the passports, if need be issue refusal letters, or make telephone calls on behalf of the ECO’s if necessary.
VFS receive the pack contain the passport with either the visa or refusal letter.

Thank you.

Just continuing the story of my friend's application...

Told this morning (UK time) that the visa was approved on Friday (that is certainly a step forward, and if they can do that verbally they should announce a yes/no decision rather than just say that a decision has been made) and that the passport would be posted on Monday.

It hasn't been and the usual decision sms/email have not been sent.

We learned today that the BKK Embassy called my wife's employer to verify her employment, salary and future intentions (had she quit her job in advance of travel to the UK). The call at my wife's work was handled by a newbie employee since nobody else was available, fortunately, she gave all the right answers.

A few pointers from this experience:

It doesn't matter how well the applicant has been checked out previously, the Embassy still makes checks.

The Embassy doesn't too much care who answers the phone, they will question whoever they can speak to.

No news doesn't mean bad news.

6 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

We learned today that the BKK Embassy called my wife's employer to verify her employment, salary and future intentions (had she quit her job in advance of travel to the UK). The call at my wife's work was handled by a newbie employee since nobody else was available, fortunately, she gave all the right answers.

A few pointers from this experience:

It doesn't matter how well the applicant has been checked out previously, the Embassy still makes checks.

The Embassy doesn't too much care who answers the phone, they will question whoever they can speak to.

No news doesn't mean bad news.

This is why I say it's a complete nonsense that 96% get approved.

This is why I say it's a complete nonsense that 96% get approved.
Why? Like in the case quoted, if the information given about employment is confirmed in the call with the employer, the visa will be granted. Who to believe? Your gut feeling or the official statistics?[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why? Like in the case quoted, if the information given about employment is confirmed in the call with the employer, the visa will be granted. Who to believe? Your gut feeling or the official statistics?emoji848.png

And 96% of the people that answered that phone call would have said the right things? Behave yourself. Everyone that they check passes with a 96% ratio? Not a chance. 

Would like to see where this 96% came from, not a chance I believe it even if all you do-gooders do.

And 96% of the people that answered that phone call would have said the right things? Behave yourself. Everyone that they check passes with a 96% ratio? Not a chance. 

Would like to see where this 96% came from, not a chance I believe it even if all you do-gooders do.
They don't phone everyone. The vast majority are straightforward applications. I'm not sure what you mean by "do-gooder"?!! I believe a link to the statistics has already been posted.

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

They don't phone eI knowveryone. The vast majority are straightforward applications. I'm not sure what you mean by "do-gooder"?!! I believe a link to the statistics has already been posted.

Of course they don't phone everyone, but everyone they do phone would still have to give the right answers with a 96% ratio, do you understand that? He even said it was 'lucky' You believe the figure and I don't, so let's leave it at that.

I know from our very first tourist visa application over fifteen years ago that telephone checks are NOT made on all applicants, as BB suggests if the application is straightforward it's often approved without any checks. The reason my wife was checked on this occasion is that she applied for a two-year visa and indicated multiple trips in that period.

Also, I don't know where the 96% figure came from but it might be out of context, I think 96% refers to the percentage of applications processed within 15 days, I'm not sure it refers to the approval ratio although 96% approval ratio seems entirely believable.

I am getting the distinct impression from this thread that, not content with the all the additional bureaucratic inconvenience which HMG have chosen to inflict on us British expats living in Thailand in recent years (in particular when it comes to (1) passport renewal procedures in the case of those of us living some distance from Bangkok, and (2) the legalisation process for UK documents), they now seem determined to add to our miseries in the case of those of us seeking UK visas for our Thai spouses/partners at least. What might be next on their agenda, I wonder?

Archived