Germany declines to hand fugitive monk over to Thai police

webfact

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

Would you expect "suspicious deaths, disappearances and extrajudicial killings" to be reported in the daily news?

Sometimes. There have been cases, including being reported on TVF, over the years. Victims of the war on drugs, the odd murder of the pyramid fraud guy who was the only witness in the Four Season's scandal, plus the ones JAG mentions. There are other older cases like the Muslim HR lawyer whose wife is still campaigning for justice, or the Saudi Jewels theft and related murders.

Why, are you suggesting many don't get reported?

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed. Germany doesn't have an extradition treaty with Thailand and there is nothing in the report to suggest appropriate procedures have been followed.

Problem  is mate here they are so used to doing what they want without following correct procedure, they think police everywhere are the same as them (law unto themselves ) and have got a rude awakening when the German authorities have insisted things get done properly.

• Like 1

"The German authorities wanted time to examine the case. Normally that takes about two months. Thai authorities have asked them to complete it within three days,” Prawit said."

Oh...you mean, like you do it in Thailand?

Find a dead body- arrange the scene of the crime, in a way it fits your narrative- find 2 Burmese scapegoats- fiddle with the evidence - loose some evidence- hand out a prison sentence?

Here is some news for you: this is not, how things are handled in countries, that actually have laws and follow them!

Take a number and waaaaaaaait!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

“The German authorities wanted time to examine the case. Normally that takes about two months. Thai authorities have asked them to complete it within three days,” Prawit said.

The Thai authorities (Police) needed 4 YEARS to translate 1 page into English for Interpol on the Red Bull case and now they are telling Germany to finish a task which normally takes 2 months in 3 days??????????

Why do Thai authorities look every day dumber to me?????

Oooooh they can do in Thailand!

Making a conclusive DNA- test here only takes a few hours....

:coffee1:

My guess is that they had some leverage over the monk to arm-twist into coming back voluntarily. But the monk declined to meet them. There was no negotiation. So the attempt failed. Even Prawit would not have been ignorant enough to think he could ride roughshod over a developed country's legal system.

Seems like they want him back really badly, all those senior figures flying to Germany. I wonder why they really want him back.

Edited by Briggsy

7 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

My guess is that they had some leverage over the monk to arm-twist into coming back voluntarily. But the monk declined to meet them. There was no negotiation. So the attempt failed. Even Prawit would not have been ignorant enough to think he could ride roughshod over a developed country's legal system.

Seems like they want him back really badly, all those senior figures flying to Germany. I wonder why they really want him back.

on whose orders was he disrobed?

Thai request of wanting a so-called fugitive has no value in Europe, if the people running the show are also suspected of certain crimes against the country. 

Perhaps if Thailand starts enforcing the law to ALL citizens, they might take the country a bit more seriously, than selective prosecution.

14 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

These folk have no idea how a proper legal system with the ability to appeal a judgement actually works.

I like that the Thai mob asked for the process to be accelerated to 3 day after being informed that reality is closer to 2 months. Then they expect the German authorities to comply to their request complete with ministerial announcements. These actions will only be used as supporting material for the asylum application.

This bloke will still be in Germany when the election happens.

Maybe their tactics have worked against them. Their heavy-handed approach smacks of Junta protocol. i.e. take everything by force. The Germans may not appreciate that.

5 hours ago, DM07 said:

Oooooh they can do in Thailand!

Making a conclusive DNA- test here only takes a few hours....

:coffee1:

That's so long as you don't lose it, use it all in one go, or really analyse it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed. Germany doesn't have an extradition treaty with Thailand and there is nothing in the report to suggest appropriate procedures have been followed.

As far as Thailand is concerned, appropriate procedure is, " we want him back now - right now - we are Thai junta and you will do as we say" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“The German authorities wanted time to examine the case. Normally that takes about two months. Thai authorities have asked them to complete it within three days,” Prawit said.

I'm speechless. "Thai authorities have asked them?" They kicked out some high-quality BKA forensic teams who were helping to identify the dead bodies after the tsunami for not having a work permit, etc. 

Media reported that the monk had sought asylum in Germany, but to General Prawit, who is also defence minister with oversight of the police force, said an initial investigation found he had yet to submit his application.

Even when I don't appreciate Miss Merkel, Germany is not a country ruled by a military junta that uses an article to bypass human rights. Fragg off, guys. Anybody can ask for Asylum at the Frankfurt airport. Who'd believe Mr. Watch? 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 4:34 PM, Baerboxer said:

How many cases since 2014 can you name?

The problem is that the cases can't be discussed fully or openly. But  you may remember a prominent astrologer dying of a blood infection in a Thai prison and at around the same an associate of his committing suicide by hanging himself with his socks attached to the bars of his cell. Another associate of theirs apparently dived out of a tall building

• Like 1