Most Thais Think Economy Bad, Getting Worse

webfact

19 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

Chinese tourists spent $292 billion (£224 billion) abroad in 2015, nearly three times as much as the second biggest spenders, the Americans, and nearly five times as much as Britons abroad.

Putting things into perspective, the Chinese spending are huge due to their sheer number of travelers. Almost 9 M per year into Thailand compare to about a million Americans and Britons. However per capita spending, the Americans and the Europeans are very much higher than the Chinese. Hope that is what you trying to say. 

8 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

How would you get your economic information?  Ask the local farmer or Som Tam seller or the IMF?

The IMF...now that's a good one!

Where do I get my information?

Well, my wife runs the village shop and all my neighbors are farmers, and some of them also sellers on the local market.

For starters, right after the coup they saw the price of rice going from 20 to 10 baht, never to recover, a 50% loss of income!

Granted, the former price was boosted by subventions, but isn't it the same everywhere in the world?

According to official stats, the brilliant move of cancelling the subventions had for effect to send 30 million people into poverty!

The government is so well aware of this dire situation that it has set up multiple schemes, all of them being about granting loans to the hapless farmers so that they can survive.

You should see the lines in front of the banks when the loans come up for renewal...we are talking about waiting times measured in days!

14 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

A Chinese buying a condo is putting hard currency from China into the Thai economy benefiting everyone from poor to rich. 

It got its downside in pushing up prices and Inflating prices out of reach for locals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

The IMF...now that's a good one!

Where do I get my information?

Well, my wife runs the village shop and all my neighbors are farmers, and some of them also sellers on the local market.

For starters, right after the coup they saw the price of rice going from 20 to 10 baht, never to recover, a 50% loss of income!

Granted, the former price was boosted by subventions, but isn't it the same everywhere in the world?

According to official stats, the brilliant move of cancelling the subventions had for effect to send 30 million people into poverty!

The government is so well aware of this dire situation that it has set up multiple schemes, all of them being about granting loans to the hapless farmers so that they can survive.

You should see the lines in front of the banks when the loans come up for renewal...we are talking about waiting times measured in days!

It is anecdotal evidence and worthless to an economist however interesting it may be.  No one is going to fund billion dollar infrastructure projects based on you and your wife's opinion.  It is a common problem reminds me of my grandfather who dropped out of school in 8th grade.  Brilliant man but worked his entire life in a factory and could only see what he could see as a result of limited education.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

It got its downside in pushing up prices and Inflating prices out of reach for locals.

Do the locals get a paycheck from building the condo?  Do the locals get employment from the food and drink that the foreigners get when living in the condo?  That is how life works.  That's why there is always long term inflation and growth and that is always factored into any loan or interest rate.  Everything is always going to get more expensive making it out of reach of those who don't improve their job prospects. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Who are where are "the locals".

Just asking.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

Do the locals get a paycheck from building the condo?  Do the locals get employment from the food and drink that the foreigners get when living in the condo?  That is how life works.  That's why there is always long term inflation and growth and that is always factored into any loan or interest rate.  Everything is always going to get more expensive making it out of reach of those who don't improve their job prospects. 

A creeping inflation is actually good for the economy. Too much Chinese buying condos will create an artificial demand and an abnormal price spike and a walking inflation which is not good. 

30 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Dream on

You truly have no idea.

I do not need to dream, as I have a place there and am witnessing it.

They are buying up places big time in Central Pattaya.

Take a trip there sometime and see for yourself.  

Edited by bkk6060

The question is moot.

Would you buy a used car,condo or just a basic pork and noddles from ":Simoh' or 'Morgandave' perennial posters of all things 'Pollyannaish' on this forum?

Would you invest in a proposition expounded to you by, a shaven headed,tattooed Brit in Chiang Mai?

33 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

It is anecdotal evidence and worthless to an economist however interesting it may be.  No one is going to fund billion dollar infrastructure projects based on you and your wife's opinion.  It is a common problem reminds me of my grandfather who dropped out of school in 8th grade.  Brilliant man but worked his entire life in a factory and could only see what he could see as a result of limited education.

Because your example regarding a few Chinese buying luxury condos by the dozen is not anecdotal?

Meanwhile the plight of millions of Isaan farmers should be dismissed, because who cares!

You sound exactly like those pompous know it all from the IMF and similar organizations that you seem to have in high esteem...no wonder...

And yet, countries who have to deal with them can't wait to see them leaving...

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You truly have no idea.

Bus tour city. 7 eleven back to airport after pockets being emptied 

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You truly have no idea.

And so did the Russians 10 years ago...and we know how it ended...

37 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Dream on

2017 saw Thailand rise from #6 to become the third most popular investment destination for Chinese buyers

Thai property developer Sansiri Pcl (SIRI.BK), which is opening three new offices in China this year to join its Beijing branch, said sales to Chinese buyers had risen steadily over the past three years.

“In 2014, they comprised about 15 percent of our foreign buyers. Last year, almost 30 percent. This year they might actually be up to, or surpass, Hong Kong, which has been our lead market for years,” Cobby Leathers, Head of International Business at Sansiri, told Reuters

Two-thirds of Chinese buyers are looking at property that costs 8 million baht or less, Jong added.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

The question is moot.

Would you buy a used car,condo or just a basic pork and noddles from ":Simoh' or 'Morgandave' perennial posters of all things 'Pollyannaish' on this forum?

Would you invest in a proposition expounded to you by, a shaven headed,tattooed Brit in Chiang Mai?

Believably on a written discussion forum is determined by hair status and or tattoos?  I can see the Brit or Aussie part but don't get the shaved head and tattoo?

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

The question is moot.

It's a question of what is fair and reasonable, the Glad Game has a negative cousin, found in spades on TVF in almost every thread. People either understand economics or they don't, pretty much in the same way that people are either competent tradespeople or they are not. The same is true of debates, people are either capable of balance in an argument and seeing the opposite point of view or they simply post to repetitively slag off all things Thai at every opportunity. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

2017 saw Thailand rise from #6 to become the third most popular investment destination for Chinese buyers

Thai property developer Sansiri Pcl (SIRI.BK), which is opening three new offices in China this year to join its Beijing branch, said sales to Chinese buyers had risen steadily over the past three years.

“In 2014, they comprised about 15 percent of our foreign buyers. Last year, almost 30 percent. This year they might actually be up to, or surpass, Hong Kong, which has been our lead market for years,” Cobby Leathers, Head of International Business at Sansiri, told Reuters

Two-thirds of Chinese buyers are looking at property that costs 8 million baht or less, Jong added.

Finally, someone who has a clue.

100 % correct.

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

The question is moot.

Personal attacks and name calling is all you have, really?

Weak

• Like 2

On 6/6/2018 at 9:07 AM, Darcula said:

What's really needed to get the economy going here is a couple of submarines, a hi-speed track from Nakhon Nowhere to Samut Shitsaburi, some empty satellites, and a Singapore-style marina walk. Chai yo!

Best post of the week.lmao

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

And.....it's anecdotal I know but I now have more Chinese neighbours where I live than I do any other nationality plus my wife, because of her work, now reads, writes and speaks Chinese.

14 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

The question is moot.

lol. You're a fair bit ahead of me. I only just concluded the same about this pair. Took me a few posts but I'm there now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Finally, someone who has a clue.

100 % correct.

Sure thing.

Chinese have been buying real estate like mad in Canada for years.

Now what does this say about the Canadian economy, and how does it improve the daily life of the average Canadian?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Splendid..

Oh..and here comes Simoh 1400..a kind of orchestrated dance..

Yus, but Simoh is smart enough to know when to take his bat and ball home. The other one (tattooed guy from Chiang Mai?) just keeps lugging away. Interesting approach, if in a hole, keep digging...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

lol. You're a fair bit ahead of me. I only just concluded the same about this pair. Took me a few posts but I'm there now.

Yeah..you have to kinda just read between the lines.They will be on to me with a vengeance now.

By the way-one of them claimed that there was no air pollution in the city of smog (Chiang Mai) a few months ago.

Edited by Odysseus123