Why a Full English trumps a Pad Thai any day of the week among Pattaya Expats

webfact

20 hours ago, trigpoint said:

Besides being tastier, it keeps you going all day, unlike a pad thai.

Agreed.

Drink the tap water and that will probably keep you 'going' all day also :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Have all of you English Breakfast boys out there checked your cholesterol levels through a full blood test ?...

Thai food is probably one of the worst when it come to cholesterol in reality!

Of the 100 Thai offshore crew I used to supervise, 93 of them had seriously high cholesterol, none of them were over 40 and certainly none of them ate a full English!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

This guy talks so much <deleted>. I don't know anybody of any gender or of any nationality, expat or visitor that eats an English breakfast more than twice a month...most never at all or maybe once a month

On my visits to Big C I normally grab a hawmok pladok or if I am lucky hawmok het for 20 baht from the stalls outside and have it for brekkie when I get home..

Same same Soi Buakhao market: I grab a small bag of Thai food for 30/40 baht + 10 baht rice  - breakfast sorted!

Not sure the fact you do not know anyone who eats an English breakfast more than twice a month makes it true for everyone. I spent some time in Saudi Arabia at a camp with an English breakfast available. Many of the workers there had that breakfast regularly. Perhaps, people like you who apparently want to spend as little as possible for breakfast may change their breakfast preferences, if the English breakfast was free.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds great but good luck finding that particular dream set in Pattaya! 

It is rather easy for me. I simply tell the wife what I want and she makes it; wherever she can get a kitchen and the basic ingredients.

20 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I would prefer to have a stack of buttermilk pancakes with butter, sausage patties, hash browns, an egg easy over,  a glass of fresh squeezed OJ, and bottomless cup of good black coffee.

But you go ahead and have your eggs, beans, sausage, and toast.

Yeah, or buttermilk biscuits, sausage gravy, sunny side up eggs, fried potatoes, black coffee and gin Bloody Marys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Thai food is probably one of the worst when it come to cholesterol in reality!

Of the 100 Thai offshore crew I used to supervise, 93 of them had seriously high cholesterol, none of them were over 40 and certainly none of them ate a full English!

This is very true, most of my staff have cholesterol issues as well, i think it is down to the massive sugar content in these coffees they insist on guzzling at every opportunity just after they have eaten spoonfuls of sugar in their noodle soup!!, i eat plenty bacon and sausages and i am much older that all of them, yet i am the healthy one!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mugaly said:

Luckily you included the word "arguably", as your post is incorrect

Here is  some basic info with links.

Pad thai  480

Big Mac 890

English brekkie 1126

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/384444601

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/162868534

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/188843390

There's 567 calories in a Big Mac. I think you looked at a meal.

And it depends on how you cook the Pad Thai.

In my years in the armed services breakfast was considered the most important meal of the day (after all, you had probably little or nothing to eat for the preceding 10 or 12 hours) and you need some food to get you energised for the new day.

And bacon and eggs (among other choices) was de jour. I still regularly eat bacon and eggs at least twice a week, stand 166cm tall (or short 555) and weigh around 64kgs. And my weight has hardly varied in the past 50 years, I have an annual fasting blood test and my Dr is happy about my chloesterol levels. And I love an English breakfast, regularly, whenever I am in Bangkok. 

19 hours ago, Enoon said:

To create the "perfect" profile you just need to add that you don't speak a word of Thai and that it's too hot in Thailand.

Not sure what not liking Thai food has to do with speaking Thai or thinking it is too hot in Thailand. I have Thai-Chinese neighbors who eat mainly Chinese food, speak the language like locals, and have been here for generations. 

18 hours ago, mugaly said:

Pancakes sound a bit dry without maple syrup.

Good buttermilk pancakes are moist and fluffy; I've been known to stick a few slices of bacon on one and fold it in half for a great sandwich.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Not sure the fact you do not know anyone who eats an English breakfast more than twice a month makes it true for everyone. I spent some time in Saudi Arabia at a camp with an English breakfast available. Many of the workers there had that breakfast regularly. Perhaps, people like you who apparently want to spend as little as possible for breakfast may change their breakfast preferences, if the English breakfast was free.

Haha I mentioned the price for information only. I also have cheesey scrambled eggs washed down with 2 Jamaican coffees in Gaffe just up from Tucom occasionally ..

I have been a telecomms contractor Worldwide since '92 but I see bugger all relevance how much money I have in the bank has to do with a subject on what a Pattaya Expat has for breakfast - much the same as eating breakfast  in Saudi has bugger all to do with it..

3 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Haha I mentioned the price for information only. I also have cheesey scrambled eggs washed down with 2 Jamaican coffees in Gaffe just up from Tucom occasionally ..

I have been a telecomms contractor Worldwide since '92 but I see bugger all relevance how much money I have in the bank has to do with a subject on what a Pattaya Expat has for breakfast - much the same as eating breakfast  in Saudi has bugger all to do with it..

Sorry you do not see the connection between eating an English breakfast and this OP. You did say you knew no one who ate it more than twice a month, yet my reference to Saudi Arabia mentioned several who ate it regularly. There have also been a post or two on this forum which claim they eat the English breakfast regularly. You, as I recall, are the one who brought-up prices as if that was a concern with eating the English breakfast. 

So, I don't see how your comment is bugger all relevant; especially your reference to your bank account.

38 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Sorry you do not see the connection between eating an English breakfast and this OP. You did say you knew no one who ate it more than twice a month, yet my reference to Saudi Arabia mentioned several who ate it regularly. There have also been a post or two on this forum which claim they eat the English breakfast regularly. You, as I recall, are the one who brought-up prices as if that was a concern with eating the English breakfast. 

So, I don't see how your comment is bugger all relevant; especially your reference to your bank account.

My initial response was within the scope of the "Pattaya Expat" in the subject title and within the confines of the "Pattaya Forum" which hosts this thread. If a broader net had been cast then, like you, I would know hundreds that eat that on a daily basis.. 

Anyways, Sorry for being crasse mentioning my bank account but I took umbrage to your assumption that I couldn't afford anything as expensive as a Full English breakfast and thus only ate cheap thai food. Again I am sorry for that but as I replied earlier - it was for information only..

Edited by Jeremia Juxtaposed
umbridge to umbrage

2 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

There's 567 calories in a Big Mac. I think you looked at a meal.

And it depends on how you cook the Pad Thai.

It still shows that, even if those links are only partially accurate, the Pad Thai comes out as the least unhealthy option. Good to know!

2 hours ago, LennyW said:

This is very true, most of my staff have cholesterol issues as well, i think it is down to the massive sugar content in these coffees they insist on guzzling at every opportunity just after they have eaten spoonfuls of sugar in their noodle soup!!, i eat plenty bacon and sausages and i am much older that all of them, yet i am the healthy one!!

Yes - the traditional view that it's FAT that causes high cholesterol is not necessarily the case

https://blogs.webmd.com/heart-disease/2017/07/how-sugar-really-affects-your-cholesterol.html

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, canuckamuck said:

I would prefer to have a stack of buttermilk pancakes with butter, sausage patties, hash browns, an egg easy over,  a glass of fresh squeezed OJ, and bottomless cup of good black coffee.

But you go ahead and have your eggs, beans, sausage, and toast.

I'd never have pancakes without a bottle of syrup, so they are out for me ( diabetes risk ).

Never found decent hash browns here. Some are really bad.

Never mind, eggs, beans, sausage and toast is still OK for me to eat. Don't forget the bacon though. Yum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

My initial response was within the scope of the "Pattaya Expat" in the subject title and within the confines of the "Pattaya Forum" which hosts this thread. If a broader net had been cast then, like you, I would know hundreds that eat that on a daily basis.. 

Anyways, Sorry for being crasse mentioning my bank account but I took umbrage to your assumption that I couldn't afford anything as expensive as a Full English breakfast and thus only ate cheap thai food. Again I am sorry for that but as I replied earlier - it was for information only..

I did not see your limitation to Pattaya in your response, "This guy talks so much <deleted>. I don't know anybody of any gender or of any nationality, expat or visitor that eats an English breakfast more than twice a month...most never at all or maybe once a month "

Would it assuage your hurt feelings if I told you I am sure some of those Brit expats had been to Pattaya and may have eaten an English breakfast there?

Heading down to Pattaya in 2 weeks. Where’s a good place for full English breakfast including black pudding? If anyone is interested I was in Khon Kaen last month and found a top spot for breakfast. Don’t remember the name of he bar but it’s near the Pulman hotel. Walk out Pulman and turn left, walk about 100m the left again. English fellow I think owns it. I had the big breakfast with real coffee and it was big. 

4 hours ago, VBF said:

It still shows that, even if those links are only partially accurate, the Pad Thai comes out as the least unhealthy option. Good to know!

The Big Mac is consistant in the way it's cooked.

Cooking a Pad Thai depends on several factors including quality of ingredients,  what type of oil is being used, how much oil is being used.

I'm not disputing you, just saying that a Pad Thai could quite easily outdo a Big Mac if not cooked properly and with due care and attention.

But I take your point. ?

• Thanks 1

Lucked out. Had rare, in more ways than one, full English breakfast yesterday on Soi Diana in Pattaya. It was just the way the English prefer it, the eggs half cooked, the bacon uncooked. But I enjoyed it and the pub was handing out free shots mixed with juices. Stopped by my table twice. My Canadian houseguest, however, had to have pad Thai every morning.

Before this thread I never thought people ate Pad Thai for breakfast. Yes I know that Thais don't distinguish much between breakfast food and later in the day food. But usually breakfast will be leftovers, jok, or kow duhm, or perhaps patongo with soy milk. Pad Thai rarely makes it to being a left over. But I guess some restaurants must be catering to expats who eat mainly pad Thai, which is one on the Thai foods that has a wide appeal with foreigners. They really should try some lahb blaa and 5 chili sum tum for breaky, that will light your fires for the day.

On 6/7/2018 at 3:39 PM, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

This guy talks so much <deleted>. I don't know anybody of any gender or of any nationality, expat or visitor that eats an English breakfast more than twice a month...most never at all or maybe once a month

On my visits to Big C I normally grab a hawmok pladok or if I am lucky hawmok het for 20 baht from the stalls outside and have it for brekkie when I get home..

Same same Soi Buakhao market: I grab a small bag of Thai food for 30/40 baht + 10 baht rice  - breakfast sorted!

I do, I love a good english, and when we are at home, the misses does a damn good one too. So I would say at least 10 a month, if not more.. beats a ‘cheap Charlie’ meal any day..?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2018 at 4:08 PM, Enoon said:

To create the "perfect" profile you just need to add that you don't speak a word of Thai and that it's too hot in Thailand.

To say ‘Too hot in Thailand’ doesn’t mean you don’t like being here.. my misses often says it’s too hot, and she’s Thai.. she always puts the aircon on before me. AND she prefers western food over thai food quite often on holiday, especially an english breakfast.