Volunteer Opportunities In Bangkok

I'm looking to do some volunteer work in Bangkok, maybe 5-10 hours per week.

Dream volunteer position would be doing some type of outreach to farang in the Bangkok Hilton prison. Open to pretty much anything however. Need to do some community service work and will be here for at least the next year.

Please post links and/or any information you've heard good/bad about a specific program. Also trip reports if you've participated yourself.

Thanks!

Dream volunteer position would be doing some type of outreach to farang in the Bangkok Hilton prison. Open to pretty much anything however. Need to do some community service work and will be here for at least the next year.

Please post links and/or any information you've heard good/bad about a specific program. Also trip reports if you've participated yourself.

Thanks!

Assuming your not a troll heres some data:

Theres no such program as such on the hilton thing, just visiting times.

But some save the world types like yourself do sometimes roam bangkoks streets caring to the needs of the many beggars in the city.

Or you could go to the tourist police and see if the'll let you volunteer to help with their english skills!

In phuket some foreigners work in the bars trying to catch paedos!

Dont be discouraged by a lot of the "wise guy" replies you may get here. If you haven't already you might want to try to Google something like "volunteer groups in Thailand" and I'm sure you will come up with something.

Thanks!

Assuming your not a troll heres some data:

Theres no such program as such on the hilton thing, just visiting times.

But some save the world types like yourself do sometimes roam bangkoks streets caring to the needs of the many beggars in the city.

Or you could go to the tourist police and see if the'll let you volunteer to help with their english skills!

In phuket some foreigners work in the bars trying to catch paedos!

Why would you assume he's a troll?

And, on a personal note, I've always wondered from where this term (troll) originiated. Any thoughts?

As for getting a work permit, yes you'd have to get one legally. But if you're here on a student visa or a different work visa, or whatever visa you're on, it probably wouldn't be an issue for you just doing a few hours volunteer work a week. And yes, you'd still need one legally, but I doubt the police are looking to imprison people doing volunteer work. Unless, you piss them off for an unrelated reason.