Doubletake mirrors in Thailand

In another forum someone suggested Doubletake Mirrors

https://www.doubletakemirror.com/

They are supposed to be very good quality and what I like is that they can easily folded be in and out (for riding through the gaps in traffic).

But they are expensive, 96 USD + shipping.

Did anybody of you ever see these mirrors or something similar in Thailand?

My idea is to have mirrors which can easily be folded in and out. I like to have good mirrors for "normal riding". But in traffic between the cars they are often too wide.

Some other mirrors are adjustable but I think it's headache to always readjust them.

Here are some pictures of the Doubletake Mirrors

1573208935_doubletakemirrorsonbike.png.3efee67cfe87f4034f35a01afe7615e4.png1513975018_doubletakemirrorsfolding.png.53d87e0b3e76eba16f2a9a1103c70cb9.png

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Spotted on Lazada. Ball and socket mechanism, but it's not entirely clear from the description whether the "range of adjustments" are of the click-into-place type.

Could be worth 350 Baht to try.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/thaivasion-i201453815-s302652968.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.5cd67310F4fYOa&search=1

Thanks, that's 10% of the price of the others so yes, I guess I will try them first.

I will report.

I have the Doubletake Adventure mirrors on my BMW R1200GS Adventure.

What I discovered unique to my motorcycle was that the XL Ram arm interfered with the factory fog light switch housing located on top of the left hand controls. The switch housing limited the range of motion to the point that I purchased SW Motech mirror extenders to increase the range of motion and not interfere with the fog light switch housing.  In order to get the SW Motech mirror extender to also not interfere with the fog light switch housing I had to adjust the angle of depression/elevation of the left hand controls. This wasn't a universally wonderful solution, but somewhat workable.

I also discovered that the range of motion for the Doubletake mirrors is limited by the Ram arm itself. The range of motion is quite good when adjustments are made in the same plane as the opening between the two clamping sides of the Ram arm.  However the range of motion is limited when adjustments are attempted in a plane not completely parallel (moving towards perpendicular) to the opening between the clamping sides of the Ram arm.

Finally, I could make fairly good adjustments to my stock BMW mirrors with one hand even while on the move. The Doubletake mirror requires all adjustments to be made with two hands (one hand loosens the Ram arm wing nut and the other hand moves the mirror and or Ram arm itself) and I had to stop in order to make the adjustments.

The Doubletake mirrors have some advantages when going off road.  If the bike is dropped then the mirror may rotate out of the way without breaking anything.  I haven't tested this but I say "may" because when the Ram arm is tightened down it is still fairly tight and I'm not totally convinced that there will be no damage in a fall.  Having said that, these mirrors can be adjusted to a much safer position for riding off road whereas the stock mirrors cannot and must be totally removed.

One more thing to note.  When I received the Doubletake Adventure mirrors and mounting hardware, one of the Ram ball stud bases wasn't the same as the other.  The thread pitch was slightly different than the other Ram ball stud base. The difference was so slight that I didn't notice it and it ended up damaging the threads in the aluminum BMW mirror bracket. It took weeks for me to get a replacement mirror bracket.  I'm not sure if there was a manufacturing quality control issue with this one particular Ram ball stud base or a packing mistake and that Ram ball stud base was actually for a different motorcycle and mirror bracket with different thread pitch. I ended up getting a replacement Ram ball stud base with the proper thread pitch and there were no issues.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ae8.jpg

12 minutes ago, M1Tanker said:

I have the Doubletake Adventure mirrors on my BMW R1200GS Adventure.

What I discovered unique to my motorcycle was that the XL Ram arm interfered with the factory fog light switch housing located on top of the left hand controls. The switch housing limited the range of motion to the point that I purchased SW Motech mirror extenders to increase the range of motion and not interfere with the fog light switch housing.  In order to get the SW Motech mirror extender to also not interfere with the fog light switch housing I had to adjust the angle of depression/elevation of the left hand controls. This wasn't a universally wonderful solution, but somewhat workable.

I also discovered that the range of motion for the Doubletake mirrors is limited by the Ram arm itself. The range of motion is quite good when adjustments are made in the same plane as the opening between the two clamping sides of the Ram arm.  However the range of motion is limited when adjustments are attempted in a plane not completely parallel (moving towards perpendicular) to the opening between the clamping sides of the Ram arm.

Finally, I could make fairly good adjustments to my stock BMW mirrors with one hand even while on the move. The Doubletake mirror requires all adjustments to be made with two hands (one hand loosens the Ram arm wing nut and the other hand moves the mirror and or Ram arm itself) and I had to stop in order to make the adjustments.

The Doubletake mirrors have some advantages when going off road.  If the bike is dropped then the mirror may rotate out of the way without breaking anything.  I haven't tested this but I say "may" because when the Ram arm is tightened down it is still fairly tight and I'm not totally convinced that there will be no damage in a fall.  Having said that, these mirrors can be adjusted to a much safer position for riding off road whereas the stock mirrors cannot and must be totally removed.

One more thing to note.  When I received the Doubletake Adventure mirrors and mounting hardware, one of the Ram ball stud bases wasn't the same as the other.  The thread pitch was slightly different than the other Ram ball stud base. The difference was so slight that I didn't notice it and it ended up damaging the threads in the aluminum BMW mirror bracket. It took weeks for me to get a replacement mirror bracket.  I'm not sure if there was a manufacturing quality control issue with this one particular Ram ball stud base or a packing mistake and that Ram ball stud base was actually for a different motorcycle and mirror bracket with different thread pitch. I ended up getting a replacement Ram ball stud base with the proper thread pitch and there were no issues.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ae8.jpg

Thanks for all the info

It seems the Enduro version of that mirror (see their website) is a lot easier adjustable than then Adventure version which you have. I looked at some YouTube videos which show this.

12 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Spotted on Lazada. Ball and socket mechanism, but it's not entirely clear from the description whether the "range of adjustments" are of the click-into-place type.

Could be worth 350 Baht to try.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/thaivasion-i201453815-s302652968.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.5cd67310F4fYOa&search=1

After checking the details I know already that the Lazada mirrors won't do the job for my bike (KTM Duke). They have 8mm clockwise screws. I need 10mm one clockwise, one anti-clockwise.

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

what I like is that they can easily folded be in and out (for riding through the gaps in traffic).

But are not wider than the handle bars? So don't make much difference?  

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

But are not wider than the handle bars? So don't make much difference?  

It makes a difference on which height the bike is wide.

One problem are the handlebars and another problem are the mirrors.

Some time ago I had a low bike and my handlebars and mirrors were below most cars - good.

On my current bike the handlebars are on the height of some car mirrors - I can't avoid that.

But my mirrors are a little wider than the handlebars and they are on the height of van mirrors. That is a bigger problem than the handlebars - on my bike.

I just ordered those Doubletake Enduro Mirrors. Including shipping to TH 128 USD...

Archived