Renewed appeal for British man missing in Thailand who posted concerning video on Facebook

snoop1130

Renewed appeal for British man missing in Thailand who posted concerning video on Facebook

image.jpg

Friends and relatives have stepped up their online appeal for information about a British man missing in Thailand.

On Monday, Steven Ricketts, 39, from Norwich, posted a video on Facebook which caused concern among his friends and family.

The video, in which Steven talks about his struggles with depression, is now being shared by his friends to expat Facebook groups in Thailand in a hope that someone knows Steven’s whereabouts.

Since posting the video, Steven has posted two new updates on Facebook.

One update posted on Wednesday read:

“I came to Thailand to try to find a happy place in my head. I’ve made my decision and I’m at peace with myself. The idea of being detained by the Thai authorities is really stressing me out. I just want to enjoy some happy time before I go…”

Another update posted later read:

“I never wanted to cause any drama! My video was to raise awareness...Please respect my decision. I can’t do this anymore... Please let me have one last chance of happiness…”

Friends posting on Facebook say Steven may be in Phuket.

Earlier this week police in the UK confirmed they are liaising with Thai authorities

“Officers are aware of a video posted on social media by Steven which prompted concerns for his safety,” a spokesperson for Norfolk Police said.

“We have liaised with the National Crime Agency and authorities in Thailand are aware and trying to establish his whereabouts.

“Anyone who hears from Steven is asked to contact Norfolk Police on 101 immediately.”

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-6-7

Lured by the no worries, sleep eat drink when you want, no work lifestyle of a vacation turned long time.  His comment about detained by Thai authorities could be ominous, but I would not be surprised if that just means he is out of money or running out of money, overstaying his visa, etc.  If he is doing more nefarious things to try and make money such as drug dealing, well, that has its own common path. 

Best thing to do is work and well there’s fake love with bar girls. 

As as long as he knows it’s fake and doesn’t get too drawn in. 

Maybe at this stage better to go to hospital.

like he said get himself sorted

he has to accept he has this illness

so when the triggers kick in he goes to hospital. 

I have a frkend with manic depressiom he has 6 months on a high and 6 months on a low where he can’t get out of bed

when the symptoms kick in he goes to hospital 

the medication helps keep the mood balanced 

some depression is caused by chemical imbalance in the brain 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Get Real said:

An attention seeking person with big psychological problems. He is thinking of a way out, but actually is to scared and love life too much. That´s why he post all this, for somebody to find him and give him the help he need.

Let's hope he can get that help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The guy has been travelling extensively for the last 6 years (or more). Working in the travel industry has it's perks I guess.

Egypt - 2012

Australia - 2013

Thailand - 2013

Fiji - 2014
Peru - 2015

Vietnam - 2016
Brazil - 2016

Canada - 2017

Thailand - 2018.

Maybe all that travel to all those exotic destinations has worn him down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

What do you feel that would accomplish?

Would that make his depression go away?

It would avert this stupid flurry of media and panic.  In my experience and you can GOOGLE this, most people who are serious about killing themselves don't announce it, they do it.  This guy sounds like he's off his meds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This guy could now be anywhere in SE£ Asia, we know Thai Immigration are not very good at checking on foreigners and if you want some peace and quiet, dropping off the radar is relatively easy. 

I am sure he may well do whatever he wants, he has told people not to worry, he is after all over the age of consent and does seem fairly lucid about what he wants. 

Worry others might, look for him, if he wants to be found, he will be , if not , then that is as they say LIFE!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

It would avert this stupid flurry of media and panic.  In my experience and you can GOOGLE this, most people who are serious about killing themselves don't announce it, they do it.  This guy sounds like he's off his meds.

I Googled "In my experience and you can GOOGLE this, most people who are serious about killing themselves don't announce it, they do it." and found this:

"Myth: People who talk about suicide aren’t serious and won’t go through with it.

Fact: People who kill themselves have often told someone that they do not feel life is worth living or that they have no future. Some may have actually said they want to die. While it’s possible that someone might talk about suicide as a way of getting the attention they need, it’s vitally important to take anybody who talks about feeling suicidal seriously."

https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/what-speak-us-about/signs-you-may-be-struggling-cope/myths-about-suicide

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Loaded said:

I Googled "In my experience and you can GOOGLE this, most people who are serious about killing themselves don't announce it, they do it." and found this:

"Myth: People who talk about suicide aren’t serious and won’t go through with it.

Fact: People who kill themselves have often told someone that they do not feel life is worth living or that they have no future. Some may have actually said they want to die. While it’s possible that someone might talk about suicide as a way of getting the attention they need, it’s vitally important to take anybody who talks about feeling suicidal seriously."

https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/what-speak-us-about/signs-you-may-be-struggling-cope/myths-about-suicide

We heard you the first time lol!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Wish he had of cleared the phlegm from his throat and blown the snot out his nose before making the vid, the constant throat clearing and sniffles is bloody annoying to listen to.

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

He's a big boy, he just wants to lose himself for a while, so give him some space, he might feel right at home here, I would imagine.

Good luck to you Steve, rock on and hope you find the road your looking for.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQiOA7euaYA

The road to happiness. He should visit Prayut 

5 hours ago, Ricky HKT said:

Bottle of scotch whiskey, not very smooth
Like snake bite cure from the medicine man
Not bad poison if there's something to soothe
It's a whole other world in the palm of your hand
Out of this world and out of your mind
Just like it don't matter what you're leaving behind
Trying to change your life you change your point of view
But no matter what you do it's the same old you

Wherever you go there you are