Dutch queen's sister found dead at Buenos Aires home

webfact

Dutch queen's sister found dead at Buenos Aires home

The younger sister of Queen Maxima of the Netherlands has died at her home in the Argentine capital, reports say.

Inés Zorreguieta was 33 and is understood to have taken her own life.

She was bridesmaid at her sister's wedding to then Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander in 2002 and is godmother to their youngest daughter, 11-year-old Princess Ariane.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-44401471

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2018-06-08

3 hours ago, Cherjam said:

Depression doesn't care about privilege or age

I agree with you 100%.

I find some of the replies on the  depression thread  running now very sad and unconcerned.

Depression is a very serious matter.

there's a bit more information here:

https://people.com/royals/queen-maxima-sister-found-dead-apparent-suicide/

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CharlesSwann said:

True, but some people have better excuse than others. Affluent, talented, successful people have less excuse. I wonder how they would get by if they had my life?

What some people don't seem to get is that severe depression is generally the product of a malfunctioning organ:  the brain. If you knew someone with terminal cancer would you say, "I wonder how they would get by if they had my life?". 

• Like 2

Suicide can be a result of many factors.   Depression is almost always a part of it.   Suicide can also be situational, as when someone loses a job, gets divorced or other traumatic events.  

I have a very close friends who suffers from periodic bouts of severe depression.   I have talked to him about suicide because I worry and he has told me that when he is depressed, he is so immobillized by it that he literally doesn't have the will to do anything, including to kill himself.   He says that for him, the most dangerous time is when he starts feeling it coming on because he knows how dark it will get.   He also says it is sort of unsettling when he starts coming out of it.   Then there is a dark period but he has energy.  

He is on medication some of the time, but it's hard for him to predict when it will start.   He can be in remission for years and then for no reason, it's back.   Interestingly, he is most prone to depressive episodes when everything is going well in his life.   He went through several years of significant problems at work and with his personal life without any difficulty.  

The main thing to remember is that some people are determined to kill themselves and there is almost nothing that can be done to stop them.   Most people respond to treatment and intervention, but a few simply do not.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bristolboy said:

What some people don't seem to get is that severe depression is generally the product of a malfunctioning organ:  the brain. If you knew someone with terminal cancer would you say, "I wonder how they would get by if they had my life?". 

Nonsense. Depression is the result of frustration pure and simple, a thwarting of goals that produces a sense of hopelessness. Most people kill themselves because of temporary misery not because of a physical brain disorder. If you're looking for ultimate causes, it's a combination of genetics, bad luck and IMO evolutionary design that wants to weed out unsuccesful individuals from the gene pool.

Life can undoubtedly become an unbearable ordeal for anyone, but I say again, some depressives have less excuse to be depressed - they are stuck in a blinkered mindset and self-obsession. Suicide to me looks like a kind of inverted narcissism - spoken by someone who has contemplated suicide almost every day since the age of 10. I can tell you - the trick for survival is to take a broad enough perspective.

35 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Nonsense. Depression is the result of frustration pure and simple, a thwarting of goals that produces a sense of hopelessness. Most people kill themselves because of temporary misery not because of a physical brain disorder. If you're looking for ultimate causes, it's a combination of genetics, bad luck and IMO evolutionary design that wants to weed out unsuccesful individuals from the gene pool.

Life can undoubtedly become an unbearable ordeal for anyone, but I say again, some depressives have less excuse to be depressed - they are stuck in a blinkered mindset and self-obsession. Suicide to me looks like a kind of inverted narcissism - spoken by someone who has contemplated suicide almost every day since the age of 10. I can tell you - the trick for survival is to take a broad enough perspective.

To take what you assert seriously one would have to posit that human beings have a soul/mind independent of the body. That the brain is not responsible for emotion and thought, or if it is, it is the only bodily  organ not subject to metabolic malfunction. Good luck with that.

There are a huge number of studies arrayed against you and, oddly enough, in your own unreflective way, you evoke some of them by referring to "genetics."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

To take what you assert seriously one would have to posit that human beings have a soul/mind independent of the body. That the brain is not responsible for emotion and thought, or if it is, it is the only bodily  organ not subject to metabolic malfunction. Good luck with that.

There are a huge number of studies arrayed against you and, oddly enough, in your own unreflective way, you evoke some of them by referring to "genetics."

Of course physiology is at the root of cognition, but I'm against listing every little deviation from the norm as a disorder in DMS-5. I'm with Thomas Szasz who considered that many so-called psychological 'disorders' are just emotionally manipulative sympathy-seeking and, for the good of society, shouldn't be reinforced. Society is definitely getting frailer in this regard and it's no suprise that suicides are increasing.

I would say that most suicidal behaviour can be explained by fairly superficial, proximate, 'life-experience' causes (albeit with biological preconditions) rather than deep-rooted physiological causes. I don't class depression as a disorder at all, but a normal and rational response to frustration. And there's no point treating it with pills, which is only sweeping the problem under the carpet. The only solution is life-change, and the method is a broader perspective, and the key to the latter is to stop thinking of yourself as the centre of the universe. In fact, that is the key not only to wisdom on any topic, but fairly equates to 'enlightenment'. Again, speaking from experience.

17 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Of course physiology is at the root of cognition, but I'm against listing every little deviation from the norm as a disorder in DMS-5. I'm with Thomas Szasz who considered that many so-called psychological 'disorders' are just emotionally manipulative sympathy-seeking and, for the good of society, shouldn't be reinforced. Society is definitely getting frailer in this regard and it's no suprise that suicides are increasing.

I would say that most suicidal behaviour can be explained by fairly superficial, proximate, 'life-experience' causes (albeit with biological preconditions) rather than deep-rooted physiological causes. I don't class depression as a disorder at all, but a normal and rational response to frustration. And there's no point treating it with pills, which is only sweeping the problem under the carpet. The only solution is life-change, and the method is a broader perspective, and the key to the latter is to stop thinking of yourself as the centre of the universe. In fact, that is the key not only to wisdom on any topic, but fairly equates to 'enlightenment'. Again, speaking from experience.

"but I'm against listing every little deviation from the norm as a disorder in DMS-5."

suicide: a little deviation from the norm.

On a practical note,  as a middle aged male dealing with depression ,  I find testosterone injections to help along with exercise.  The exercise alone isn't effective. The hardcore drugs helped at first but after its worse. I stay away from them now.  And ultimately if I get down and outed by the Big D, I look down at the ground,  shuffle the sand with.my new shoes and say I don't give a crap.

Sorry to the Netherlands and family.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CharlesSwann said:

Perhaps you have not been around some people suffering from long-term chronic depression?   Most people who are put on medication by a mental health professional will have blood tests to determine if there is a chemical/hormone imbalance.   The medication is designed to correct the imbalance.   Some people respond very, very well to the medication.

What you seem to be talking about is situational depression and this is the one where events lead to a sense of hopelessness and can result in suicide.   Some people cope better than others and some people are more accepting of circumstances.   Situational depression may require medication, but it does not change the circumstances.   These people generally respond better to therapy.   

We live in a world where there is a lot of estrangement, alienation and isolation.   People are more connected electronically, but less so personally.   Loneliness can be a big factor in suicide.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Scott said:

Perhaps you have not been around some people suffering from long-term chronic depression?   Most people who are put on medication by a mental health professional will have blood tests to determine if there is a chemical/hormone imbalance.   The medication is designed to correct the imbalance.   Some people respond very, very well to the medication.

What you seem to be talking about is situational depression and this is the one where events lead to a sense of hopelessness and can result in suicide.   Some people cope better than others and some people are more accepting of circumstances.   Situational depression may require medication, but it does not change the circumstances.   These people generally respond better to therapy.   

We live in a world where there is a lot of estrangement, alienation and isolation.   People are more connected electronically, but less so personally.   Loneliness can be a big factor in suicide.  

Well said.  Also describing these deep dark feelings whether to a healthy person or another depressed person on whatever level is like describing the colour purple to a blind person.  One can try,  but amongst discussion compassion and friendship will help. 

• Like 2