Clogged cartridge filter

Beowolf

Hi. I have a 8x4 JD pool 14.000 gallon. The pool has not been used for 8 years. It was a saltwater system, but the pump and other things where stolen, so I decided to switch to a cartridge filter.

Now, after 2 weeks, the filter is clogged up by an unknown substance. (Se pic) I remove this amount every day from the filter, using a dull butter knife. I suspect the substance comes from the old pipes under the pool deck. My pool guy, TSP pools in Samui, say it is minerals in the water. But the water in the pool is clear. 

Any idea what it can be?

IMG_20180607_122839.jpg

IMG_20180516_121504.jpg

My bet would be crud from the pipes too, just keep cleaning it out, it has to stop eventually.

If it doesn't then there may be something living in the pipework and a super-shock of chlorine needed.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just changed the old, broken cartridge filter, and with the new one the PSI is down to less than 5. But the pressure and suction is excellent. I have seen that when the algea dries out, it dies and disappears. So next time my filter gets clogged with algea, I will simply use the old filter for a few days, and dry out the new one in the sun. And vise versa.

You say super shock with chlorine. Is there any other chemical I could just put in my skimmer?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 4:25 PM, Beowolf said:

I have just changed the old, broken cartridge filter, and with the new one the PSI is down to less than 5. But the pressure and suction is excellent. I have seen that when the algea dries out, it dies and disappears. So next time my filter gets clogged with algea, I will simply use the old filter for a few days, and dry out the new one in the sun. And vise versa.

You say super shock with chlorine. Is there any other chemical I could just put in my skimmer?

There are some pool algaecides on the market such as Pooltrine or from Astral plus generic ones. Pooltrine is likely the most expensive, it is an algaecide & water clarifier.

• 2 months later...

Archived