Developed-in-Thailand road watch system catches lawbreakers, saves money

snoop1130

The topic implies potentially intelligent cameras I suppose supported by AI to recognise number plates and automatically issue fines for infringements like lane changing and speeding. But the picture used for the topic shows a dodgy plastic police dummy holding an old style / out of date cctv camera. Am I missing something here or is this just more hot air ?

They installed red light cameras at a notorious junction in Phuket. They run into the problem that there were so many red light runners that the system was unable to cope! I'm still not aware if anyone has ever had a ticket issued as at least three or four cars run these lights every time they change.

I understand these lane changing cameras in Bangkok as I really dislike the habit of "pushing in" from another lane, just one of many bad driving habits prevalent here. Some are habitual offenders but I feel for those who don't know the roads and accidentally end up in the wrong lane. 

The lane changing violation I really don't agree with is that at the toll booths where you get fined for changing lane to get to a shorter queue. Nothing but easy money for the BIB as it's not a dangerous manoeuvre.

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

On the ring road up here in Chiang Mai, they have a big 

set up over the road,with a speed read out for each of

the 4 lanes,its supposed to take photos and a fine issued

if you exceed the 90 Km speed limit. 

Today I drove under it doing 80 Km ,but the sign said 47 Km,

another system developed in Thailand ?

regards Worgeordie

LOL similar example same place. I was on my motorbike in lane 1, car in middle lane overtaking me, car in the fast lane driving like Hamiltons speed. I was doing 60 KPH. All three speed indicator boards said the 3 of us were all doing 70 kph?

15 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Well, I must say that the  police mannequin doll in the picture looks as useful as the live version.

The hand that is off screen is being held out to receive a 100bt note.

15 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Well, I must say that the  police mannequin doll in the picture looks as useful as the live version.

Thats the highly evolved mannequin mark II, it does everything that a normal policeman does without stealing money or oxygen

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

On the ring road up here in Chiang Mai, they have a big 

set up over the road,with a speed read out for each of

the 4 lanes,its supposed to take photos and a fine issued

if you exceed the 90 Km speed limit. 

Today I drove under it doing 80 Km ,but the sign said 47 Km,

another system developed in Thailand ?

regards Worgeordie

actuality I find those signs pretty accurate when I pass there.

For info. please challenge every traffic offense you have,

had a camera get me at 1 kmh over, I suggested the equipment is faulty, currently in a stand off, typically should be given + or - 5 or 10 % 

also if you get any fine without a photo of lane change etc. again challenge,  I also claimed person in front was on mobile phone so I went around them

These days the words "innovation" and "Thailand" used together in a sentence, somehow seem to be an oxymoron to me.

Perhaps not all the time but most of the time (just in case someone wants to punch my lights out). :smile:

3 hours ago, kannot said:

you do realise MOST people do not pay the fines?? Wifes friend  in the Police said " if u get any fines just ignore it" great eh, fine all you like if  no one pays  its no good.

Better would be removal of vehicle ie confiscation  BUT speeding is not the main issue, its purely abysmal driving,  no signals, wrong lane,  no idea of speed of vehicle when joining a fast flowing road, U turn, driving too close, UTTER inattention at the wheel for numerous reasons but Thais seem to have a 2  second attention span, driving whilst tired................all the cameras in the world WONT fix  t

The problem is now they will not let you renew your car or bike registration before you pay any fines that are due....you can not just ignore then anymore.......

15 hours ago, Cadbury said:

This is ancient news going back to March 2015. This cub reporter has stolen someone else's news story. In March 2015.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Dummy-police-will-catch-traffic-offenders-red-hand-30256694.html

Note the similarities. The 2015 version"

"system can detect a vehicle that changes lanes and then issue a traffic ticket within a minute".

The plagiarised 2018 version by this lazy journo:

"..detecting illegal lane changes and issuing tickets to offenders automatically.

Very strange The Naresuan University’s team started developing the system in 2016 when in fact it was reported in the media in 2015. 

It seems Thailand is full of liars, even in the universities.

Erm yes. Think Thai, think lie, cheat, steal..

You won't go very far wrong with that life principle. Just don't put it on a T-shirt and go wandering down Silom.

Amazing thailand!! I bought a second hand car last year and change name car owner to mine already in office but every paper for my car example from police camera will send to previous owner address !! I don’t know why system never update after 8 mounth !! 

this is a really good system that will be able to read number plates and cross reference with the driving licence agency and quickly pick out the registered owner and their licence details.  should get a lot of unregistered drivers off the road.

10 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

this is a really good system that will be able to read number plates and cross reference with the driving licence agency and quickly pick out the registered owner and their licence details.  should get a lot of unregistered drivers off the road.

Hahahahahahahaha. 

And if you have a licence and the car is registered in some else's name - brilliant observation.

Do you really think  this system will get all unlicensed drivers and unregistered vehicles off the roads - maybe you can explain how a camera is going to accomplish this. 

4 hours ago, 1337markus said:

LOL similar example same place. I was on my motorbike in lane 1, car in middle lane overtaking me, car in the fast lane driving like Hamiltons speed. I was doing 60 KPH. All three speed indicator boards said the 3 of us were all doing 70 kph?

Well it was close... 

5 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Hahahahahahahaha. 

And if you have a licence and the car is registered in some else's name - brilliant observation.

Do you really think  this system will get all unlicensed drivers and unregistered vehicles off the roads - maybe you can explain how a camera is going to accomplish this. 

well the cameras in police cars UK flash up all sorts of things

4 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

well the cameras in police cars UK flash up all sorts of things

Sure they can, but can't identify the driver or if their licence is upto date and is the cars owner. At best can check for current road tax, any outstanding infringements for the car and for the registered owner. 

5 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Sure they can, but can't identify the driver or if their licence is upto date and is the cars owner. At best can check for current road tax, any outstanding infringements for the car and for the registered owner. 

thankyou

my original post was meant to be a little bit tongue in cheek

i guess you missed that

3 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

thankyou

my original post was meant to be a little bit tongue in cheek

i guess you missed that

Yep, went over like a  lead Zeppelin ?

'It streamlines the work process ...' 

What work? 

'... and prevents any disruption to traffic flow, which could otherwise occur if traffic policemen had to stop the offending vehicle on sight.' 

Heaven bid they should need to get off their a_ses to do that. 

'“Initially, we installed cameras inside traffic-police dummies ...'

Swallowed with their som tam?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Very bad news. This means less manned checkpoints, less tea money. ?

It may increase the sale of cable cutter equipment….:coffee1:

9 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

What will they do with the all the new Thai invented magical instant picture GT 4.0?

Thairoid.JPG

Announce it to the world from the hub of inventions.