Brace for a possible "Brexit meltdown" but don't panic, UK's Johnson says - BuzzFeed

rooster59

That is not quite right! 

1. UK signed all EU treaties and rules. 

2. The so called beaurocrats are also UK officials. So if you beat them you beat yourself. 

3. There is an exit procedure. And UK, as initiator of Brexit has to follow. 

4. It's a fact to have borders between the EU members and others. 

5. It's definitely the end of cherry picking. 

I think a lot of people in UK (not here in Thailand necessarily unless the money will shrink on the account) will wake up soon when May will disclose her final agreement with EU. 

All of which the above will soon cease, be renegotiated, personnel relocated and legally out of the EU March 2019, into transition period.

Total worst case scenario, move to WTO rules which neither party wishes however is a possibility.

Brussels has form on poor negotiations, Canada & Japan are both proof and evidence and they’ll leave it to the last minister despite the article 50 timeframe, which that itself is also flawed, by its own author no less.

Uncharted ground, new challenges and not everyone will get what they want, the vital point is no longer legally bound to the EU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, citybiker said:

All of which the above will soon cease, be renegotiated, personnel relocated and legally out of the EU March 2019, into transition period.

Total worst case scenario, move to WTO rules which neither party wishes however is a possibility.

Brussels has form on poor negotiations, Canada & Japan are both proof and evidence and they’ll leave it to the last minister despite the article 50 timeframe, which that itself is also flawed, by its own author no less.

Uncharted ground, new challenges and not everyone will get what they want, the vital point is no longer legally bound to the EU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I the worse case will be, that there is no connection between UK and continent after the D -day. No planes, I no ferries. No trade, no medicines for hospitals, empty shelves in supermarkets, sky rocketing prices. Oh, I forgot.... Mr Boris bought a Malta passport 

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

No, I the worse case will be, that there is no connection between UK and continent after the D -day. No planes, I no ferries. No trade, no medicines for hospitals, empty shelves in supermarkets, sky rocketing prices. Oh, I forgot.... Mr Boris bought a Malta passport 

???

Quick, get back in your safe space. 

???

Another classic example of remainers being highly educated.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 12:07 PM, JackScarlett said:

I have long suspected that T May - a remainer at heart - reluctantly agreed to pursue the wishes of the 17 million plus UK electorate to leave the EU.   It has been written in a recent newspaper article that she would have made an excellent civil servant, but as a politician, she is below average.   Reading the current news I am increasingly concerned that she - having surrounded herself with members of the cabinet who are remainers and senior civil servants, in particular The Treasury 'The heart of the remain camp', and they have planned a conspiracy to ensure that the final deal offered on Brexit, will be unacceptable to the UK electorate, and a second referendum will take place where the choice will be one of acceptance or non-acceptance and remaining in the EU.   

If I am correct then it will be the greatest case of conspiracy and the Conservatives will pay heavily at the next election.

I am a lifelong Conservative voter, but should this concern realise itself, I will never vote for them ever again.   

It is not too late to retrieve the situation and achieve the full-blown Brexit that the majority voted for..  However it requires a politician who has the 'balls' to openly challenge Mrs May and if need be force her to step down and who is prepared to tell the non elected bureaucrats in Brussels exactly what the majority of the electorate want and if they say no tell them we will not pay any further money, and that negotiations are over and we will pursue our own destiny without any deal from them.

As I write this I see that Micheal Portillo has expressed the same view on the majority of the above.

I don't fear another General Election which is based on a single theme the EU and our relations with it and a new Conservative leader, because Labour is divided and have sold out those who voted to leave the EU and the Liberals are, well, just the Liberals with an old aged pensioner as a leader.

So I wholly support Boris Johnson when he says we need a leader of the calibre of Donald Trump but I fear we are stuck with the bunch of self-seeking individuals that currently sit in Parliament.

Maybe Nigel Farage could be persuaded to return to lead the fight back.

Lamentable. Typical populist nonsense 

22 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

???

Quick, get back in your safe space. 

???

Another classic example of remainers being highly educated.

That's true. It's a fact that the majority of lower class people voted for Leave. 

But you will be have to learn a painful lesson. 

From the government's OWN published forecasts, ALL of Britain will be worse off after Brexit than currently. The economy is suffering  right now, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.

What new trade deals will be made which are better than those currently held with the EU and the 69 countries outside the EU that have current agreements with the EU, including the UK? Maybe the Falklands or Greenland? 

Even Liam Fox, Trade secretary has not specified where trade deals are likely to occur. If you go into any large supermarket today, you will see produce from around the globe, including every day consumables from China, Japan and the US, the world's three largest economies. The UK currently exports more to the Netherlands than to the Commonwealth countries COMBINED.

And Boris wants the UK to leave the single market - which incidentally was not part of the referendum requirements, nor leaving the custom's union, but added on by May's red lines. He must be delusional, or actually believes there will be a meltdown which would deprive him of his caviar and fine wines when the supermarket shelves empty. 

I think Trump has one thing right. He said something on the lines of all 'major' countries should cease imposing tariffs. If that happened, then the UK has an outside chance of making tariff free deals (hopefully) resulting in the economy picking up after Brexit. 

Don't hold your breath, though...

Total utter tosh, you claiming 17 million majority are lower class educated using it as fact?

Yet further anti-Brexit nonsense.

That's true. It's a fact that the majority of lower class people voted for Leave. 
But you will be have to learn a painful lesson. 

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Total utter tosh, you claiming 17 million majority are lower class educated using it as fact?

All got tattoos as well, and smoke roll-ups and wear cloth caps and overalls. A major reason the majority voted to leave was because of the UK's government decision over many decades to let traditional British industries fold north of the Watford gap, thus creating huge job losses and unemployment, yet hospitals and farm workers were mainly employing immigrants from the EU thus 'depriving' British workers of employment, even though the majority couldn't be a$$ed but relied on benefits. Any other reason is superfluous, IMO, amongst the majority.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, citybiker said:

I think it is just rhetoric citybiker.  Both sides slinging the odd insult.  Much of it comes from a weariness from the constant back and forth and still not knowing where the hell we are heading.  In fact I feel that that is why the vitriol is so strong.

As I have said many times before most British people in Britain want what they perceive to be the best for the country.  It is just that it is not always the same thing.  Nobody wins with Brexit but in the end there will be an end result.  Which side it falls on, we don't know yet.  I think that one way or another we are all going to be failed, it is just to what extent.

I guess one thing hasn't changed much is that we don't know what the effect of Brexit will actually be.  We all shouting in the dark!  So we can all keep slagging off the various politicians involved but they are still the only ones who are going to make the final decision.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think it is just rhetoric citybiker.  Both sides slinging the odd insult.  Much of it comes from a weariness from the constant back and forth and still not knowing where the hell we are heading.  In fact I feel that that is why the vitriol is so strong.

As I have said many times before most British people in Britain want what they perceive to be the best for the country.  It is just that it is not always the same thing.  Nobody wins with Brexit but in the end there will be an end result.  Which side it falls on, we don't know yet.  I think that one way or another we are all going to be failed, it is just to what extent.

I guess one thing hasn't changed much is that we don't know what the effect of Brexit will actually be.  We all shouting in the dark!  So we can all keep slagging off the various politicians involved but they are still the only ones who are going to make the final decision.

We are all losers now - so a result of sorts  - but the ignoramuses can swell their chests and peacock around that they have taken 'back control'. As if they had any control anyway - anyone with any real skin in the game isn't point scoring on an obscure expat internet forum. Except for Grouse of course  - he can enjoy his hi-so cocktails  from a life well lived and invested no doubt and a wise man's appreciation of the folly of his fellow man. Anyway off to finish my shed in lovely UK sunshine. Que sera sera - enjoy your patriotic take back control 49baht happy hour changs whilst you can and don't forget to doff your cap to Jacob on the way out  !

• Haha 1

Good post & assessment, agreed reference the rhetoric element.

The biggest concern from all sides is change, uncertainty and what happens for the next generation, too much emotive mud slinging even after 2 years which shows in parts how bitter some elements of society are.

I've always liked Europe and continue to do so, I visit and transit through regularly and that will not cease, however the political EU element spawned & imploded from the original EEC plan is simply not fit for purpose, it refuses to reform and yes Brexit , it'll be rocky in parts, changes pending however i highly doubt the UK will suffer an apocalypse.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, citybiker said:

What is your problem? 

That you belong to 17 millions? 

Or that you belong to Lower Class people? 

46 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Good post & assessment, agreed reference the rhetoric element.

The biggest concern from all sides is change, uncertainty and what happens for the next generation, too much emotive mud slinging even after 2 years which shows in parts how bitter some elements of society are.

I've always liked Europe and continue to do so, I visit and transit through regularly and that will not cease, however the political EU element spawned & imploded from the original EEC plan is simply not fit for purpose, it refuses to reform and yes Brexit , it'll be rocky in parts, changes pending however i highly doubt the UK will suffer an apocalypse.

I think we all agree that the EU is badly flawed and out of date.  It needs a complete overhaul and in fact Macron and Merkel feel that way too.  I am not going to bang on about "better fighting from the inside" because that argument has been done to death.  We just have to wait and see what happens next.  I shall be doing it from behind the sofa peeping over the back now and then!

I think we all agree that the EU is badly flawed and out of date.  It needs a complete overhaul and in fact Macron and Merkel feel that way too.  I am not going to bang on about "better fighting from the inside" because that argument has been done to death.  We just have to wait and see what happens next.  I shall be doing it from behind the sofa peeping over the back now and then!
unfortunately, There's a slight flaw there.
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/macron-visits-merkel-bid-salvage-eu-reform-plans-020938814.html?guccounter=1

If there was genuine unified EU effort to reform I'd be more understanding towards it.

On 6/9/2018 at 12:07 PM, JackScarlett said:

I have long suspected that T May - a remainer at heart - reluctantly agreed to pursue the wishes of the 17 million plus UK electorate to leave the EU.   It has been written in a recent newspaper article that she would have made an excellent civil servant, but as a politician, she is below average.   Reading the current news I am increasingly concerned that she - having surrounded herself with members of the cabinet who are remainers and senior civil servants, in particular The Treasury 'The heart of the remain camp', and they have planned a conspiracy to ensure that the final deal offered on Brexit, will be unacceptable to the UK electorate, and a second referendum will take place where the choice will be one of acceptance or non-acceptance and remaining in the EU.   

If I am correct then it will be the greatest case of conspiracy and the Conservatives will pay heavily at the next election.

I am a lifelong Conservative voter, but should this concern realise itself, I will never vote for them ever again.   

It is not too late to retrieve the situation and achieve the full-blown Brexit that the majority voted for..  However it requires a politician who has the 'balls' to openly challenge Mrs May and if need be force her to step down and who is prepared to tell the non elected bureaucrats in Brussels exactly what the majority of the electorate want and if they say no tell them we will not pay any further money, and that negotiations are over and we will pursue our own destiny without any deal from them.

As I write this I see that Micheal Portillo has expressed the same view on the majority of the above.

I don't fear another General Election which is based on a single theme the EU and our relations with it and a new Conservative leader, because Labour is divided and have sold out those who voted to leave the EU and the Liberals are, well, just the Liberals with an old aged pensioner as a leader.

So I wholly support Boris Johnson when he says we need a leader of the calibre of Donald Trump but I fear we are stuck with the bunch of self-seeking individuals that currently sit in Parliament.

Maybe Nigel Farage could be persuaded to return to lead the fight back.

Such naivety 

Bureaucracy: a multi-headed hydra that grows constantly & requires constant hacking back.

I know it well, having spent most of my adult life in the federal bureaucracy in Canberra. Noone ever agrees that they have enough staff or not enough to do: one may be cynical about this (lazy hacks, status seeking ...) but I think that managers in the bureaucracy are little different from their opposite numbers in large private enterprise corporations. The difference arises from the much more rigid financial bottom line in the private sector which enforces discipline in ways mostly lacking in the public sector.

The problem is that POLITICIANS always want any new project they dream up to be an add-on (ie more and more resources for an ever-growing bureaucracy). The politicians can't cope with the thought of making CHOICES ie if you want to have more resources for X, you'll have to take them out of Y. All too hard for the pollies, I fear, most of whom have never managed anything larger than a paper bag.