6 Digit Pin for bank cards Thailand

I have noticed that  when you get a new debit bank card most if not all banks in Thailand  have now changed to a 6 digit pin    (instead  of usual 4  )   and some tied in to Union Pay     ..So the question is can  these 6 digit   cards be used in   in countries outwith Thailand         has  anyone used these cards abroad  ????       

1 hour ago, ajnamoon said:

A friend recently   got a new debit card from Bangkok Bank   it requires a 6 digit pin  ,but does not have a VISA  logo    

the logo is UNION PAY    can it be used abroad 

UnionPay cards can be used in 162 countries and regions around the world,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnionPay#Use_abroad

17 hours ago, simple1 said:

UnionPay cards can be used in 162 countries and regions around the world,

I would not rely on that. I would make sure I had an alternate method of getting cash in case this promise turned out to be untrue.  It is awfully easy for bank staff to assure you of what they think you want to hear.  It is no skin off of their nose if it is completely untrue.

Edited by allane
x

2 hours ago, allane said:

I would not rely on that. I would make sure I had an alternate method of getting cash in case this promise turned out to be untrue.  It is awfully easy for bank staff to assure you of what they think you want to hear.  It is no skin off of their nose if it is completely untrue.

Info was from the company website, though as you say best to have a backup

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

The reference does NOT say if they can be used in an ATM in any of those countries.  UK banks/Link based ATMs in the UK will not accept 6 digit pins.

You sure? 

http://2016web.unionpayintl.com/column/en/enCard/en_europe/en_Britain/index.shtml

http://en.unionpay.com/englobalization/all_globzlization/eneurope/ch_uk/index.html

Edited by simple1

7 minutes ago, simple1 said:

You have listed different quotes than the one referred to above.  Also read what I said.  They will not work in UK Bank/Link system ATMs using a six digit PIN.

They may work in some of the independent banks/intuition's ATMs listed but I would doubt if six digit pins would be accepted

Edited by scottiejohn

6 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

You have listed different quotes than the one referred to above.  Also read what I said.  They will not work in UK Bank/Link system ATMs using a six digit PIN.

They may work in some of the independent banks/intuition's ATMs listed but I would doubt if six digit pins would be accepted

Australian banks have 4 digit ATM cards, but can use my Thai bank issued 6 digit ATM card with Oz bank owned ATMs. Enough now over to OP / friend to take a backup card just in case.