UK Brexit minister says parliament vote cannot reverse Brexit

webfact

UK Brexit minister says parliament vote cannot reverse Brexit

2018-06-12T074849Z_1_LYNXMPEE5B0HL_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Britain's Secretary of State for Departing the EU David Davis leaves 10 Downing Street in London, June 7, 2018. REUTERS/Toby Melville

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Brexit minister David Davis said on Tuesday there would be no reversal of the decision to leave the European Union whatever the outcome of divorce talks with the bloc.

British Prime Minister Theresa May faces a showdown in parliament with lawmakers later on Tuesday who want a "meaningful vote" on an eventual Brexit deal and to set the government's "direction" if the house rejects the agreement.

"Whatever we do, we're not going to reverse that (decision to leave the EU)," David told BBC radio. "A meaningful vote is not the ability to reverse the decision of the referendum."

When asked if May would lead the conservatives into the next UK election, Davis also said "I think so ... actually I hope so".

(Reporting by Michael Holden. Editing by Andrew MacAskill)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-12
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Grouse said:

Why? Many Brexiters can not put their trousers on the right way round without help. Why should parliament act in their favour? 

What ,and you know which way to put your trousers on ,my you have become a big boy since being a remainer .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Decision cannot be reversed ? Good news indeed ?

The decision can be reversed if Parliament has the guts to do so. David Davis stated that there would not be a reversal of the decision to leave the EU and not that it cannot be reversed. In other words, he has not got the guts to reverse the decision.

• Like 1

I don't think anything that Davis says can be taken too seriously.  I do feel some sympathy for him.  He has been given a task that was doomed from day one.  Brexit was always going to be a no win game.  I am surprised he didn't throw in the towel some time ago and because of that he does deserve some kudos.

He clearly doesn't understand what the British constitution is or how Britain's representative democracy works.

Or is he just another daft Tory who thinks he can talk crap and pretend he's laying down the law? 

No matter how much he, May and the other Tory  clowns try to undermine democracy, they never will.

7 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

The decision can be reversed if Parliament has the guts to do so. David Davis stated that there would not be a reversal of the decision to leave the EU and not that it cannot be reversed. In other words, he has not got the guts to reverse the decision.

Absolutely correct. The referendum was put into law as 'advisory" . Not a one off, irreversible, can never be reversed, over and above parliament for ever and ever one.

No matter how much the Tories try to pretend otherwise.

2 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Yet another example of this man's arrogance and rudeness towards the millions of people who voted for Brexit.  

It was meant as a witticism.?

Did you watch any of the parliamentary debates yesterday and today? Fascinating stuff. The main parties are terribly split. I was surprised that the front benches didn't bother turning up for the debates.

Ken Clark was excellent as always.

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

Did you watch any of the parliamentary debates yesterday and today?

Did you ?

Attempts to keep the UK in the European Economic Area after Brexit have been defeated in the House of Commons, amid a major Labour revolt over the issue.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44474661

All I can say is ???

Dreams of every remainer shattered.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Did you ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44474661

All I can say is ???

Dreams of every remainer shattered.

Yes I watched nearly all of it

Both main parties are actually badly split

I think customs union is almost a done deal now particularly after the NI amendment

Also the "meaningful" vote fudge yesterday was useful.

Yes, the single market being kicked down the road was disappointing.

Corbyn has suffered great damage IMHO. Good ? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Yes I watched nearly all of it

Both main parties are actually badly split

I think customs union is almost a done deal now particularly after the NI amendment

Also the "meaningful" vote fudge yesterday was useful.

Yes, the single market being kicked down the road was disappointing.

Corbyn has suffered great damage IMHO. Good ? 

I suspect the ‘meaningful vote’ decision is the trigger for the Labour revolt. 75 MPs defying the whip in favour of the EEA.

The meaningful vote is a return of parliament’s sovereignty from the attempts by the government to rule by executive order.

As you say great damage to Corbyn but also a welcome return to Labour MPs doing their job as opposition to the Tories.

The games nowhere near over, there’s everything still on the table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

Please add some intro to these links so the rest of us know if it's worth of clicking the link or not.

In the future, I'll start reporting posts with only a link without quote or other comment.

1- Not possible on that device.

2- Fill yer boots?

Edited by evadgib

40 minutes ago, evadgib said:

1- Not possible on that device.

2- Fill yer boots?

If you are able to copy the link, you should be able to copy text or subject as well. 

If that really is not possible, you can write an intro of the text by yourself. 

That requires more work on your side, but much less work by the many people who read these threads. Thank you.