You're havin' a laugh! Police won't be able to take your licence next year!

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I was stupid and rode my motorcycle without a helmet on and got stopped. The officer wrote me a 200baht ticket and held my license and said 7 days I can pick it up. Is this normal? 

1 minute ago, lust said:

Today I was stupid and rode my motorcycle without a helmet on and got stopped. The officer wrote me a 200baht ticket and held my license and said 7 days I can pick it up. Is this normal? 

Now, this is a post that truly deserves a "WoW", not my post about a reply to speeding, etc. 

When I was riding my bikes (Ninja 650R, 1000SX, and Z-14R), I wouldn't even CROSS THE STREET without my helmet and Kevlar gloves on ... I was in a low-speed accident with a top-of-the-line full-face helmet, Kevlar vest, Kevlar riding boots and Kevlar gloves, but slipped on some poorly landscaped and poured concrete at my condo in Bkk and crashed through a rebarred 20cm+ concrete wall.  Result: 30-day ICU comatose stay, 6 major structural bones broken, renal failure, 4-months of hemodialysis, 1 year in a wheelchair, 1 year with a walker, and finally learned to walk normally after 14 surgeries and experimental surgeries/therapies.  To this day, still suffer left tibia bone pain, right leg femur problems and a shoulder with no soft tissue left.

Amazing you folks lecture me about HIV nonsense, but you'll ride a mototoy in Thailand without a helmet????? <deleted>?  Are you asking to die?

I received a speeding ticket it was sent to the cars registered address I had 21 days to pay to the authority here (Bangkok ) or it would go to court .The fine was 1000 Baht In Australia many people drive without licences and there is a massive market in selling points .ie I was driving take the points from me ! Friends share details  etc The victoria police motto To protect (collect) and serve.

If I had my way way, anyone riding without a helmet would lose their license to ride for 1-year, as it is in Massachusetts.  

Sorry, but if people are going to lecture me about condoms, I think I have the right to call anyone who rides a motorcycle (that means 450cc and above) or 125cc mototoy, without a helmet, an absolute moron.  You are asking to die and 200 baht is what you are worried about???

1 minute ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

If I had my way way, anyone riding without a helmet would lose their license to ride for 1-year, as it is in Massachusetts.  

Sorry, but if people are going to lecture me about condoms, I think I have the right to call anyone who rides a motorcycle (that means 450cc and above) or 125cc mototoy, without a helmet, an absolute moron.  You are asking to die and 200 baht is what you are worried about???

Lol, oh man. What’s you deal? delete your account.

5 minutes ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

Bro, you need a hobby or what? If you read my initial post and thought I was worried about 200baht, you should just go to bed. I’m asking if holding a license for 7 days is normal. 

18 minutes ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

I'd prefer they focus on the violations that put innocent 3rd parties at risk.  Like me.  Not wearing a helmet is a victimless crime.  No victims, just volunteers.

10 minutes ago, lust said:

Bro, you need a hobby or what? If you read my initial post and thought I was worried about 200baht, you should just go to bed. I’m asking if holding a license for 7 days is normal. 

Bro?  What are we in? College?

This is Thailand.  They can hold it for as long as they want.  Up to 30-days hold when riding without a helmet is allowable under Thai Road laws. 

Just now, impulse said:

I'd prefer they focus on the violations that put innocent 3rd parties at risk.  Like me.  Not wearing a helmet is a victimless crime.  No victims, just volunteers.

Plenty of victims ... puts a strain on Fire and Rescue, ties up ER rooms and staff,  increases insurance rates, etc.  Stop riding w/o helmets!

56 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

There are not many that are not guilty these days because with the technology that is used and the regular calibrations of the camera and radar, if you get a ticket either on the spot from the police or you get one through the mail it is a pretty sure bet that you have committed the offense but you have 21 days to decide if you are going to accept the fine or take it to court. To take it to court is a big risk unless you have evidence that can prove you did not commit the offense then it is best to just pay the fine because if the offense is proven in the court then you face the risk of having the penalty increased plus you would have to pay the court costs. Many people long ago tried the court but they quickly found out that you need pretty good evidence to beat the penalty. Normally the police have the photos and the calibration certificates so it is pretty hard to beat them. If you win in the court then you can claim your costs.

That's great in an ideal world.  But where I'm from in Texas, (and the USA in general) a lot of the traffic stops are done simply to justify snooping on suspicious looking cars and drivers, and the evidence is, let's be generous, less than overwhelming.  And the point is that even being found not-guilty is no guaranty that it's not going to put someone in the poorhouse.

15 minutes ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

Plenty of victims ... puts a strain on Fire and Rescue, ties up ER rooms and staff,  increases insurance rates, etc.  Stop riding w/o helmets!

With scooters being 20-40x (2000-4000%) as dangerous as 4 wheel vehicles, and helmets only being 40% effective at preventing deaths, wouldn't it be better to just ban scooters and stop riding altogether.  But then, riding a scooter is also victimless.  Only volunteers. 

Edit:  Just to be clear, I'm not against scooters, or helmets, or even helmet laws.  But when I see the cops pulling over people for no helmets, too busy to pay any enforcement attention to the others riding the wrong way, riding on sidewalks, speeding, pulling illegal u-turns, and countless other violations that put me and my loved ones at risk, I think they have their priorities wrong.

10 minutes ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

Bro?  What are we in? College?

This is Thailand.  They can hold it for as long as they want.  Up to 30-days hold when riding without a helmet is allowable under Thai Road laws. 

Oh, dear lol. What would be the advantage of holding a license?

1 hour ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

Now, this is a post that truly deserves a "WoW", not my post about a reply to speeding, etc. 

When I was riding my bikes (Ninja 650R, 1000SX, and Z-14R), I wouldn't even CROSS THE STREET without my helmet and Kevlar gloves on ... I was in a low-speed accident with a top-of-the-line full-face helmet, Kevlar vest, Kevlar riding boots and Kevlar gloves, but slipped on some poorly landscaped and poured concrete at my condo in Bkk and crashed through a rebarred 20cm+ concrete wall.  Result: 30-day ICU comatose stay, 6 major structural bones broken, renal failure, 4-months of hemodialysis, 1 year in a wheelchair, 1 year with a walker, and finally learned to walk normally after 14 surgeries and experimental surgeries/therapies.  To this day, still suffer left tibia bone pain, right leg femur problems and a shoulder with no soft tissue left.

Amazing you folks lecture me about HIV nonsense, but you'll ride a mototoy in Thailand without a helmet????? <deleted>?  Are you asking to die?

Sounds like you would have been safer on a 125cc "mototoy" if you can managed that crash on "poorly poured concrete" in your condo..... 

You should invest in riding lessons, with or without the condoms, up to you

16 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Sounds like you would have been safer on a 125cc "mototoy" if you can managed that crash on "poorly poured concrete" in your condo..... 

You should invest in riding lessons, with or without the condoms, up to you

My thoughts exactly. Seems the top of the line helmet and everything else wasn't much good. But seriously.....low speed accident and going through 20cm (8 inches) of reinforced concrete? I don't think so.

I think someone is dreaming - how does the laser speed gun detector work?

54 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's great in an ideal world.  But where I'm from in Texas, (and the USA in general) a lot of the traffic stops are done simply to justify snooping on suspicious looking cars and drivers, and the evidence is, let's be generous, less than overwhelming.  And the point is that even being found not-guilty is no guaranty that it's not going to put someone in the poorhouse.

I agree that in Texas when I have driven through on cross-country road trips or reports in the news, lots of senseless "Citizen status" stops.  Waste of taxpayer money and police need to be doing some real work.  I was stopped in 2016 near Austin for passing 2 State Police SUV's who were way off the breakdown lane and far into the grass with a broken down vehicle.  I was in an A Class Motorhome doing about 50 mph and the troopers chased me at about 55 mph for another mile.  Reason: State law requires slowing down to under 20 mph when passing ANY State vehicle stopped even on the grass or change to the passing lane and speed up.  What?  Go over 55-60 mph in a huge motorhome/RV?

47 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

My thoughts exactly. Seems the top of the line helmet and everything else wasn't much good. But seriously.....low speed accident and going through 20cm (8 inches) of reinforced concrete? I don't think so.

I fell over a 5-meter high wall.  You weren't there when the accident happened .... I don't really care whether you believe it or not.  My helmet saved my life.  Good thing I was wearing it.  The 2-meter blast hole where the bike flew over the wall, across the driveway 5 meters below was indeed 10" thick or around 22cm.  I was rounding it down for you.

Riding lessons?  I made one mistake on a superbike on some rough concrete that had rain and oil on the edge and dropped down 6" to the soil next to the driveway.  When the bike jerked down, the backend jumped up, slightly gunned the throttle and the rest was gravity and momentum.  Understand basic physics and laws of motion, then lecture me.  

13 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Laser vs. Radar.  Read up.  

41 minutes ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

I fell over a 5-meter high wall.  You weren't there when the accident happened .... I don't really care whether you believe it or not.  My helmet saved my life.  Good thing I was wearing it.  The 2-meter blast hole where the bike flew over the wall, across the driveway 5 meters below was indeed 10" thick or around 22cm.  I was rounding it down for you. 

Riding lessons?  I made one mistake on a superbike on some rough concrete that had rain and oil on the edge and dropped down 6" to the soil next to the driveway.  When the bike jerked down, the backend jumped up, slightly gunned the throttle and the rest was gravity and momentum.  Understand basic physics and laws of motion, then lecture me.  

I've managed to have a very successful life as an engineer, including riding large motorbikes for many, many years. I've never managed to leave a 2 meter blast hole in a reinforced concrete wall on a motorbike though. I understand the basics and some quite advanced concepts of physics, including the laws of motion.

3 minutes ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

Laser vs. Radar.  Read up.  

I work with both radar and laser instrumentation. Radar has a relatively wide beam angle and can be successfully 'detected'. Laser is very narrow. I think by the time your detector has 'detected' the laser it is pointing directly at you and you have already been speed checked.

I find it much easier to stay within the legal limits rather than drive around paranoid about speed cameras.

32 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I've managed to have a very successful life as an engineer, including riding large motorbikes for many, many years. I've never managed to leave a 2 meter blast hole in a reinforced concrete wall on a motorbike though. I understand the basics and some quite advanced concepts of physics, including the laws of motion.

In your mind, you think you led a successful life as an engineer.  You obviously do NOT understand any of Newton's laws and how a 300kg bike, falling 4 meters at a speed of about 15 kph could cause such damage.  I have 2 engineering degrees, with a lot of other fancy degrees, worked for numerous aerospace companies and the Space Shuttle Program before leaving the field.  Go back to your textbooks.  I do not believe anything you are saying either.  Therefore, no need to discuss your inane assumptions.   

15 minutes ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

Hard to believe that any of you have led a successful life with your inane assumptions regarding basic science, medicine, rule of law, and so on ...

One mistake huh.....? 

Didn't basic science tell you that rain and oil don't mix, even on "poorly poured concrete" 

Why not tell us the truth? You revved it  to the Redline and forgot to engage the clutch maybe? :cheesy:

Just now, tryasimight said:

I work with both radar and laser instrumentation. Radar has a relatively wide beam angle and can be successfully 'detected'. Laser is very narrow. I think by the time your detector has 'detected' the laser it is pointing directly at you and you have already been speed checked.

I find it much easier to stay within the legal limits rather than drive around paranoid about speed cameras.

Yes.  Laser will only help you if directed first at a vehicle in front of you.  I have not received a ticket since around 1998.  I think I am using the equipment correctly.  I was caught by laser in South Carolina going way too fast in my Porsche in 1994.  Sheriff across the median head me dead to rights at 3am one night.  I might have got lucky and outrun him, but decided not to evade him.  Took the ticket and thanked him after he screamed at me for about 10 minutes straight.  

1 minute ago, PunkRockerGuy said:

Yes.  Laser will only help you if directed first at a vehicle in front of you.  I have not received a ticket since around 1998.  I think I am using the equipment correctly.  I was caught by laser in South Carolina going way too fast in my Porsche in 1994.  Sheriff across the median head me dead to rights at 3am one night.  I might have got lucky and outrun him, but decided not to evade him.  Took the ticket and thanked him after he screamed at me for about 10 minutes straight.  

You can outrun the motor, but not the Motorola..... 

A number of posts have been removed or edited along with a bunch of replies.

I could very easily have taken down a lot more as the last three pages were largely off topic.

The thread is about police not being able to take your license.

Please stick to that topic and don't wander off or be abusive.

The next person to insult another member on this thread will need to find something other than the Forum to do for a few days.

Hmmm, all you peeps comparing this system to your home countries. I'm sure 99% of you decided to relocate here not only for the 'fun' but also for the relaxed laws. Yet, everyday I read nothing except  farangs living here complaining that the local system is not the same as they have in farangland ..... which is why they/you decided to move here in the first place. Breathe it in or ..... (fill in the space).

Archived