Getting married

Has anyone else been told the following.

If you are a falang marrying a Thai you can no longer do it at any ampur in Thailand. You have to make an appointment at the main ampur in BKK and they only allow 10 appointments per day.

Sounds like bull to me but you never know these days.

1 hour ago, likewise said:

you sure they are not just looking for some tea money mate ?

Been confirmed by several sources, you can get married in any ampur in Thaialnd but everything now goes through BKK and can take up to 3 months. Once you have the relevant paperwork if you want it done in one day then BKK is the only option. 

On 6/13/2018 at 2:09 PM, glegolo said:

OMG these rumours...

glegolo

On 6/13/2018 at 2:34 PM, likewise said:

So you're saying that if you marry in an other amphur then BKK you have to wait 3 months to get your marriage certs ?? No way mate, there must be something gone wrong in translation.

Not a rumor it is 100% fact confirmed by several ampurs and by BKK

If you marry at any ampur other than BKK it can take UP TO 3 months. ALL paperwork now has to go through BKK for approval. Do it in BKK and it is done the same day. 

I thought exactly the same when I found out and am amazed it it is not more widely known but it only come into force a week or so ago. They have done it to stop all the fake marriages that where happening without the correct paperwork.

Edited by thaiexpat1973

18 hours ago, thaiexpat1973 said:

Not a rumor it is 100% fact confirmed by several ampurs and by BKK

If you marry at any ampur other than BKK it can take UP TO 3 months. ALL paperwork now has to go through BKK for approval. Do it in BKK and it is done the same day. 

I thought exactly the same when I found out and am amazed it it is not more widely known but it only come into force a week or so ago. They have done it to stop all the fake marriages that where happening without the correct paperwork.

Did you "personally" enquire at several Ampurs ? And receive conformation ? What is the name of the mystery department in Bangkok that now approves marriages ? 

There is not a single Bangkok Amphur.

There are 100s of Ampurs in Bangkok, they administer their local government area, a couple of suburbs.

Is it the case that all Amphurs geographically inside the city limits can do instant marriages, and an ampher just outside the city of Bangkok, it takes 3 months ?

Somewhere between your post number 8 "Crazy if true" and your post number 12 "Been confirmed by several sources", you appear to have made enquiries and received confirmation. Or could it be "someone on Facebook"

Edited by Peterw42

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually there are no Amphoe in Bangkok.  Bangkok Districts are called Khet and there are 50 of them.

Yes, a slightly different setup (I was using the term ampher to keep it easy to follow) but still a local government area that administers the local area, births, deaths, marriages, ID cards etc. The OP seems to have been told that these local government offices now approve and administer marriages for outside of Bangkok.

Edited by Peterw42

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, a slightly different setup but still a local government area that administers the local area, births, deaths, marriages, ID cards etc. The OP seems to have been told that these local government offices now approve and administer marriages for outside of Bangkok.

There has never been any requirement to be a resident of the area you register your marriage - many people have always used Bangkok for marriage - both for convenience (they know the rules) and luck (district of love).  But the idea there is "one" main district (without a name) is a bit much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Did you "personally" enquire at several Ampurs ? And receive conformation ? What is the name of the mystery department in Bangkok that now approves marriages ? 

There is not a single Bangkok Amphur.

There are 100s of Ampurs in Bangkok, they administer their local government area, a couple of suburbs.

Is it the case that all Amphurs geographically inside the city limits can do instant marriages, and an ampher just outside the city of Bangkok, it takes 3 months ?

Somewhere between your post number 8 "Crazy if true" and your post number 12 "Been confirmed by several sources", you appear to have made enquiries and received confirmation. Or could it be "someone on Facebook"

I personally did not but my wife did and was told this by several ampurs. You can get married anywhere (which can take up to 3 months). To get married the same day you have to go to BKK (could not tell you which ampur I did not go).

He got married yesterday could not tell you the name of the place but it was a short walk from the Ari BTS. Your smart arse remarks are one of the reasons I stop posting on here many years ago. Have a nice day.

Edited by thaiexpat1973

The point of my post was if you now want to get married the same day you have to go to BKK. Doing it anywhere else can take up to 3 months. As for the specific office I have just given the rough location where he had this done yesterday. Took 1 hour from start to finish.

Just asked and been told you have 2 options Ket Payatai. (spelling) Can also go to Ket Laksi (spelling)