Was your motorcycle ever stolen in Thailand?

Was your motorcycle ever stolen in Thailand?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You forgot to add the option "none" for the last question, because somehow a multi select answer in this forum requires that at least one option is checked. If you can't edit the poll anymore you can report your own post and ask a moderator to add this option.

i think a combo of alarm + lock has a decent chance of preventing crime.

in my experience its the cheapest lousiest scooters that are

the most likely to be stolen, -both my cheapest scooter and

the cheapest of my neighbors scooter was attacked

It seems I can't change the poll now and I guess even if I would do it there would be some more adjustments over time.

Maybe just try to use the poll as it is and write comment below, as usual.

The result won't be very scientific anyhow ?

A few years ago I went to get my Honda Wave from my condo parking lot. It wasn't there and I assumed it was stolen.  I only use it once a month or so sometimes and I had no idea how long it had been missing for.  I reported the theft to the condo office. 

A week or so later I was walking down Lang Suan after shopping at Central Chitlom. and I remembered that I had parked it in front of a 7-11 last time I went shopping there and then taken a taxi home  Maybe three weeks previously.  

There it was and the noodle seller who sets up shop there told me she had been watching it during the day since I left it there.  

I was the 1 vote for almost had it stolen. My landlord showed me video of two Thai shit birds scouting it out at 4am one night. Also I had to choose other as my protection because "protected by pit bull who hates Thai men but loves the taste of Thai testicles" was not an option. 

1 hour ago, ricklev said:

A few years ago I went to get my Honda Wave from my condo parking lot. It wasn't there and I assumed it was stolen.  I only use it once a month or so sometimes and I had no idea how long it had been missing for.  I reported the theft to the condo office. 

A week or so later I was walking down Lang Suan after shopping at Central Chitlom. and I remembered that I had parked it in front of a 7-11 last time I went shopping there and then taken a taxi home  Maybe three weeks previously.  

There it was and the noodle seller who sets up shop there told me she had been watching it during the day since I left it there.  

Some of the most honest people I have met are the thai noodle sellers and Thai ladies that sell vegetables at the market. 

I once had my Honda Magna parked next to a Harley. When we came out of the pub, my Magna was still there. We found the Harley around the corner on the next street. I guess the boys who stole it decided to go get a truck they could not make much headway with the forks locked.

I was curious about this too as I posted on a thread about mc theft and said it's virtually unheard of in Chiang Rai. Many people don't even worry if they lock the house up. I do have a friend who has had two bicycles stolen over the last 33 years.

5 hours ago, ricklev said:

Then I was confronted with the question of what to tell the condo management since they were obviously concerned about a motorcycle being stolen from their secure parking garage.  Do I lie or do I tell them I forgot about leaving it parked on Lang Suan for 3 weeks?  I told the truth and bought the staff a lot of fruit for their troubles.  ?  

5 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Why not include bicycle, often more expensive than motorcycles.

I had bicycles nicked in Bangkok.  

In case you didn't notice it: This is the "Motorcycles in Thailand" forum. "Motor" is the keyword.

And why would anybody buy a bicycle which is more expensive than a motorcycle? It should be a lot cheaper - it doesn't even have a motor.

36 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's more like a bicycle with an engine so don't worry if you can't vote. ? 

Nooo .... the Honda Cub was a bicycle with an engine, the Supercub (and the Wave variants) is a proper little motorbike.  Real swing-arm without an engine sitting on it, chain drive, gears, foot brake, and enough grunt from the whopping 110cc (or 125cc from the 'hyperbike' version of the Wave) to pull away smoothly in 4th.

And they have a steering lock and a cunning cover over the ignition to foil thieves (a bit).

11 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Nah. You are thinking Honda P50 :tongue:

Honda Cub was always a real motorcycle  :whistling:

Sir ... I beg to differ.

The SuperCub was always a proper motorcycle, the Cub was just an engine that could be attached to any bicycle.

Some people abbreviate the SuperCub to just Cub, but that is Honda Heresy and should result in having your leg-shields ceremoniously torn off.

Honda_Cub_F_with_bicycle_Honda_Collection_Hall.jpg.423e7ad8427282f3dbe6bc34a47358ce.jpg

40 years ago, a buddy stopped by my house for a chat.  Parked his Honda SL125 just outside my gate/fence, which was tall roofing tin.  We sat up on the porch about 7 meters away.  Someone snuck up and rolled his bike away.  Used the fence as cover.

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

40 years ago, a buddy stopped by my house for a chat.  Parked his Honda SL125 just outside my gate/fence, which was tall roofing tin.  We sat up on the porch about 7 meters away.  Someone snuck up and rolled his bike away.  Used the fence as cover.

You must have lived in a nice neighborhood...

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You must have lived in a nice neighborhood...

Yeah, that particular street in Loei wasn't too good.  Lost a cheap cassette player when someone broke in.  I used to chain my motorcycle up to a big post in my landloard's garage next door.  It had a nice, noisy metal door, like on shop fronts.

There's still one "upscale" house across the street (or was 4 years ago).

image.png.0a9ee58458582f9ee03798d56f3ed8f6.png

Archived