Thai lies!

Hummin

5 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Yes more creative bs artists. Pubs in the west are choc full of them.

I wouldn't know.

I seldom go to pubs.

Not in Farangland, and surely not in Thailand.

In 12 half years, maybe 12 times in Thailand.

But you are no doubt an expert about pubs? Otherwise you would not make such a sweeping statement?

• Thanks 1

OP, maybe they are not lying and you are handsome, slim and good looking.

What are the lies you are being told by every Thai ? Is it the prices in shops, the chilli content of food, what time the bus comes, its not going to rain?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Shop assistants would rather lie than admit if they do not know answer.

Lot of people like that in thailand.

Let me guess ..... you asked a Thai shop assistant for something in a foreign language, and out of politeness and embarrassment she said "don't have" and you felt all hurt and lied to?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sipi said:

The Thais I know are blatantly honest. 

Especially compared to some westerners I have met. 

yep, i agree.   its all relative    ?

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Let me guess ..... you asked a Thai shop assistant for something in a foreign language, and out of politeness and embarrassment she said "don't have" and you felt all hurt and lied to?

Bad guess, very bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I wouldn't know.

I seldom go to pubs.

Not in Farangland, and surely not in Thailand.

In 12 half years, maybe 12 times in Thailand.

But you are no doubt an expert about pubs? Otherwise you would not make such a sweeping statement?

Well I have lived. Maybe you should get out and talk to people.

29 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Bad guess, very bad.

But your list of examples suggests I was right on the money (Big C)?

You wouldn't be lying to save face would you?

Perhaps you need to learn Thai?

Edited by Kinnock
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

But your list of examples suggests I was right on the money (Big C)?

You wouldn't be lying to save face would you?

Perhaps you need to learn Thai?

This guy is seriously thinking in 1 dimension. Because no one accompanies me that speaks thai 100% when we go shopping do they. 

I was once led to a whole different direction when I asked some Thais how to get a certain street. (I asked in Thai, they answered in Thai too, and I understood simple directions like straight and turn left). After walking for 15 minutes and couldn't find it, I asked a white girl whether she lived around that area and could help me. She turned out to be a tourist and showed me her map (at that time Google maps wasn't as reliable as today). The place I was looking for was in the opposite direction of what the Thais told me and I had to walk all the way back to where I met them. 

This whole telling you lies just because they won't say "I don"t know" is really annoying. They would rather lead some poor lost girl to a whole other place than where she wanted to go... (those were Thai men I asked... middle-aged). 

I now never trust any information I get from Thais who I'm not familiar with. 

• Like 1

Over the past few decades there have been several opinion polls* on the issues of lying, corruption and general dishonesty and criminal behaviour, and the one constant in all of them was that between two-thirds and three-quarters of those people polled approved, especially if it benefited them. So if you say the majority of Thais tell lies, then there has to be some grain of truth to it, don't you think?

BTW, post #42 is quite familiar. If other posters say these examples have not happened to them, then I'd suggest they are .... wait for it .... LYING. LOL

*I can't recall the last time such a poll was conducted, but the general results have stuck with me over the years.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:39 AM, sipi said:

The Thais I know are blatantly honest. 

Especially compared to some westerners I have met. 

I am totally speachless and astounded after reading some of the commenters telling that they had only meet honest Thais etc. Oh my ...

I told this to  my wife and she immediately burst into laugh... She is a Thai woman by the way.

Well, learn Thai, speak Thai, read Thai and interact on a daily basis. Let's see the honesty LOL.

• Like 2

According to the apologists, Thai culture is subtle and avoids embarrassment or hurting feelings.

How does that fit in with the student massacre of the seventies, the red / yellow shirt violence, the treatment of recruits, the hiso slapping a security employee at BKK,  etc?

Exceptions that confirm the rule?

• 7 months later...

Since coming to Thailand five years ago I've had such an eye opening experience of seeing how contrasting the Thai culture/people and Buddhism are.  I always assumed that a majority of Thais would be practicing Buddhists and boy was this a big assumption.  Just my round about way of saying that I have meet my far share of Thais that lie regardless of how big or small the lie is.