HPV plus other vaccines

joe china

My daughter is now 13.

In the UK she would now be receiving the following vaccinations.

1. HPV

2. Tetanus, Diphtheria and polio (booster) 

3. Meningococcal A, C, W, Y 

I understand the HPV vaccine is a course of 3 over x period of time.

Would the Bangkok hospital in Hua Hin be able to provide these vaccinations?

We are currently in China and just in the process of relocation.

I could probably get some of the vaccinations here, but I want to maintain continuity with the HPV schedule.

Additionally, I have been advised that I probably need a Diphtheria Vaccination Booster as it has been more than 10 years.

Additionally, we have been advised to get the Japanese encephalitis and Rabies vaccines by our Chinese GP. Having never had the need for these myself, I am questioning his recommendations. We will be living in central Hua Hin is a secure and well maintained complex.

Finally, checking my sons UK vaccination record, it appears that be only had Stage 1 Hepatitis A vaccine in 2014. If this is an administrative error then he had stage 2, as did my daughter. If not, can he have stage 2 and it still be effective with a gap of 5 years or should he go for the whole new Hep A?

Thanks for any answer. What are simple questions to ask your GP in the UK become complex and difficult in Asia.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Yes, the local hospital should be able to offer these.  There's also a clinic at the Badminton Club near Samitivej Hospital with an English GP (can't remember the name of the clinic) - cost is slightly lower as they don't charge for the blood pressure test and general medical review.

Not sure about the extra vaccinations.  I had Japanese Encephalitis vaccine, and am considering dengue and rabies vaccines.  I also get the flu vaccine each year - but after living in China you are probably already immune to every known type of flu! ?

Yes, the local hospital should be able to offer these.  There's also a clinic at the Badminton Club near Samitivej Hospital with an English GP (can't remember the name of the clinic) - cost is slightly lower as they don't charge for the blood pressure test and general medical review.

Not sure about the extra vaccinations.  I had Japanese Encephalitis vaccine, and am considering dengue and rabies vaccines.  I also get the flu vaccine each year - but after living in China you are probably already immune to every known type of flu! [emoji16]
Thank you for the advice. Would you happen to have the address details.

Your right about getting exposed to everything in China. Hope that I don't export any new flu virii with me ;)

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

He is referrring to Medconsult Asia, which is the pracatrice of a Birtish GP licensed in Thailand and indeed a good source for low cost vaccines

http://medconsultasia.com/

Bangkok Hua Hin Hospital will certainly have the other vaccines as they are part of the regular childhood schedule but I can;t guarantee re HPV. It;s a pretty small hospital. And expensive.

Rabies vaccine is definitely a good idea, lost of stary dogs here and rabies is endemic, in fact number of cases shot up this year (google "Thailand + rabies" to find all the news articles on it). Japanese B is endemic in rural areas and even though  you will be living in the town you may at times travel to rural areas. Do you really want to risk permanent brain damage and death? It is enough of a problem that the Ministry of Helath pays to provide it as part of regular childhood vaccine schedule.

I am nto sure re the hep B after a gap of 5 years but in any case kids in Thailand should get A + B so suggest starting again with the combined vaccine

• Like 1