UK citizen, only worked UK 5 years, any pension?

steve2112

There is one little thing I don't understand with the NI contribution record. 
On the left, it lists the record year by year, saying "full year" or "year is not full".
On the right side, under the summary, it simply says the number of full years, years to contribute and years when you did not contribute enough. Here is the thing, the two sides don't match!!
On the right, under the summary, I have 3 more years than the sum of the full years on the left. I have to say, the left side seems to be correct, but why on Earth would they add another three full years under the summary?

Note that I have checked this with 2 of my mates and both of them have the same thing meaning 3 more full years on the right. Any ideas?
A possible glitch. I just checked mine i have 32 full years, no "year is not full" and the summary of the 32 is the same as the left. The max you want is 35. If approaching retirement topping up may be a good idea
2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, garrya said:
There is one little thing I don't understand with the NI contribution record. 
On the left, it lists the record year by year, saying "full year" or "year is not full".
On the right side, under the summary, it simply says the number of full years, years to contribute and years when you did not contribute enough. Here is the thing, the two sides don't match!!
On the right, under the summary, I have 3 more years than the sum of the full years on the left. I have to say, the left side seems to be correct, but why on Earth would they add another three full years under the summary?

Note that I have checked this with 2 of my mates and both of them have the same thing meaning 3 more full years on the right. Any ideas?

A possible glitch. I just checked mine i have 32 full years, no "year is not full" and the summary of the 32 is the same as the left. The max you want is 35. If approaching retirement topping up may be a good idea

Quite unlikely glitch. We are not the same age, and we started working in different years. There must be a reason.

On 7/3/2018 at 8:21 PM, nausea said:

Thanks for that advice. I did, and was pleasantly surprised with both the estimate and how easy it was to do.

Slightly different circumstances but I am Aussie who worked in the Uk for 5 years. I recently did the same as you and had a pensions estimate generated. I was entitled to back pay 12 years of pensions contributions so now I am at 17/35 years of the full pension entitlement. 

You should check out if you can back pay previous years NI contributions as it will certainly increase your pension entitlements. 

Whilst it's undoubtedly useful to get some sort of estimate it's worth noting a couple of phrases in the Terms and Conditions, the second one in particular.

"While we will make every effort to keep your record up to date, we do not guarantee that it will be or that it is error and omission free.

You should not rely on this information ... ."

Whilst it's undoubtedly useful to get some sort of estimate it's worth noting a couple of phrases in the Terms and Conditions, the second one in particular.

"While we will make every effort to keep your record up to date, we do not guarantee that it will be or that it is error and omission free.

You should not rely on this information ... ."

Yes but you should have a good idea and if its lower than expected you can query it and go from there

Archived