UK citizen, only worked UK 5 years, any pension?

hi all, i'm 58 so a few years to go to pension age but just wondering if i'm eligible for UK pension or any kind of benefits when i reach 65 or older? i'm English but only worked there for about 5 years back in the late 80s

if i was to move back to the UK when i'm old, what would happen, would i get anything from the gov't?

thanks (PS, i know rules can change, just based on current rules)

If you have become or will become non-resident whilst out of the UK any pension you are entitled to will be affected.

For example in my case I am seen as being non- resident ( even though born and bred there and a holder of a British passport ), I do not receive any yearly increase to my pension.

You would also not receive winter fuel allowance.

You could expect not to receive the same rights to hospital treatment etc.

Rules do change and, it is very important that you maintain your residence status if you intend retiring in the UK; information is available online.

Whatever your resident ties are to the UK, Brexit will / may affect many people, the current Windrush scandal is another example of just how difficult it may / will be for others.      In my own situation the wife of my children, my children and myself all have a different status within the UK, even though we all have had a blue UK passport bearing the words "The holder has the right of abode in the United Kingdom", don't believe a word of it.     There were 3 classes of citizen at least since the 1980's, even more now.

As a rider to the above, at one time if you had worked in EU countries you were able to apply for tax refunds if you did  it within a certain period of time, not sure if this is still relevant.   This I think was a reciprocal agreement.

I'm not sure about the minimum but if you've paid 5 years NI you'd be entitled to 5/35 of the pension, currently around £160 a week so around £22 for you, not a lot. If you go back and not work and go on benefits each year will be counted as another year of NI contributions.

You can also top up and buy years, which is good value, there may be a max top up, I'm not sure

3 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

If you have become or will become non-resident whilst out of the UK any pension you are entitled to will be affected.

For example in my case I am seen as being non- resident ( even though born and bred there and a holder of a British passport ), I do not receive any yearly increase to my pension.

You would also not receive winter fuel allowance.

You could expect not to receive the same rights to hospital treatment etc.

Rules do change and, it is very important that you maintain your residence status if you intend retiring in the UK; information is available online.

Whatever your resident ties are to the UK, Brexit will / may affect many people, the current Windrush scandal is another example of just how difficult it may / will be for others.      In my own situation the wife of my children, my children and myself all have a different status within the UK, even though we all have had a blue UK passport bearing the words "The holder has the right of abode in the United Kingdom", don't believe a word of it.     There were 3 classes of citizen at least since the 1980's, even more now.

As a rider to the above, at one time if you had worked in EU countries you were able to apply for tax refunds if you did  it within a certain period of time, not sure if this is still relevant.   This I think was a reciprocal agreement.

If non-resident in the UK and not living in an EU country, you can still pay NI voluntary contributions. That`s what I did.

• Like 1

That depends entirely on which country you live in. Some get the full increase and some dont. Thailand is one that doesnt. The Philippines is one that does.
On 6/17/2018 at 8:27 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I'm not sure about the minimum but if you've paid 5 years NI you'd be entitled to 5/35 of the pension, currently around £160 a week so around £22 for you, not a lot. If you go back and not work and go on benefits each year will be counted as another year of NI contributions.

You can also top up and buy years, which is good value, there may be a max top up, I'm not sure

I believe the minimum is 10 years now. I think something called Class 3 contributions would be the option to reach the ten year minimum.

• Like 1
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:26 AM, steve2112 said:

hi all, i'm 58 so a few years to go to pension age but just wondering if i'm eligible for UK pension or any kind of benefits when i reach 65 or older? i'm English but only worked there for about 5 years back in the late 80s

if i was to move back to the UK when i'm old, what would happen, would i get anything from the gov't?

thanks (PS, i know rules can change, just based on current rules)

At your age you come under the new rules.

The new State Pension

You’ll usually need at least 10 qualifying years on your National Insurance record to get any State Pension. They don’t have to be 10 qualifying years in a row.

This means for 10 years at least one or more of the following applied to you:

If you’ve lived or worked abroad you might still be able to get some new State Pension.

• Thanks 1
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, Speedo1968 said:

For example in my case I am seen as being non- resident ( even though born and bred there and a holder of a British passport ), I do not receive any yearly increase to my pension

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:53 AM, KittenKong said:

That depends entirely on which country you live in. Some get the full increase and some dont. Thailand is one that doesnt. The Philippines is one that does.

Indeed, KittenKong; whether or not British ex pat pensioners receive the annual increase depends on where they live.

If they live in another EEA member state, then they receive it; at least they do at the moment, what the situation will be after Brexit depends on how the negotiations on citizens' rights pan out.

They also receive it if they live in a country with which the UK has a bilateral or reciprocal agreement; see the list here.

Unfortunately, Thailand is neither. 

This has been debated many times, including a lengthy topic here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Yeah, as I understand it 10 years is the minimum, so you'll probably get nothing. I wonder what 20 odd years contracted out will get me. Twenty-five quid a week would be enough for my purposes.
Log on to the HMRC website and find out, it shows all the years you qualify for NI so if 20 would be 20/35* £160 approximately a week
1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Log on to the HMRC website and find out, it shows all the years you qualify for NI so if 20 would be 20/35* £160 approximately a week

Wow! But I doubt it, being contracted out. They make deductions I think. Yeah, I'm lazy, it's a couple of years until I'm eligible, and I've never given much thought to pensions, concentrating on everyday life now. I have a pension, linked to the consumer price index, and payable in Thailand with the increases, but that's more by luck than judgement.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:06 AM, nausea said:

Wow! But I doubt it, being contracted out. They make deductions I think. Yeah, I'm lazy, it's a couple of years until I'm eligible, and I've never given much thought to pensions, concentrating on everyday life now. I have a pension, linked to the consumer price index, and payable in Thailand with the increases, but that's more by luck than judgement.

You need to register on the Government gateway, then you can find out all you need to know.it is easy to do.

• Thanks 1
On 6/28/2018 at 1:16 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 6/27/2018 at 5:31 PM, nausea said:
Yeah, as I understand it 10 years is the minimum, so you'll probably get nothing. I wonder what 20 odd years contracted out will get me. Twenty-five quid a week would be enough for my purposes.

That would be around £91.50p

a week. Say over 15,400 baht every 28 days at 42 baht/£1. You get 13 payments a year so around 200,000 baht a year..

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

That would be around £91.50p

a week. Say over 15,400 baht every 28 days at 42 baht/£1. You get 13 payments a year so around 200,000 baht a year..

Yeah, thanks for that, but like I say, I was contracted out for most of those 20 years, have you taken deductions into account? 

If you were contracted out then you would still be paying the basic NI contributions, contracted out only affects the second pension (SERPS) you still normally pay NI. You really need to take the advice given on here and check your records. 

11 minutes ago, nausea said:

Yeah, thanks for that, but like I say, I was contracted out for most of those 20 years, have you taken deductions into account? 

Unsure on deductions.

I know it's almost impossible to avoid UK tax on pensions. I have 3  pensions, 1 gov' ( old age ? ) two private and because they are UK generated attract UK tax when combined, they exceed the personal income limit.

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you were contracted out then you would still be paying the basic NI contributions, contracted out only affects the second pension (SERPS) you still normally pay NI. You really need to take the advice given on here and check your records. 

Newcastle office are efficient and helpful, to me anyway.

+44 191 218 7777

Have your NI number ready.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You really need to take the advice given on here and check your records. 

I know. Just looking for a ballpark figure really.

Edited by nausea
More info.

If and when you return to the UK and if your NI contributions are not sufficient to give you the minimum pension, you will be eligible for Pension Guarantee Credit. Currently Pension Guarantee Credit tops the income of a single person up to £163 per week and £248 for a couple.

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

If and when you return to the UK and if your NI contributions are not sufficient to give you the minimum pension, you will be eligible for Pension Guarantee Credit. Currently Pension Guarantee Credit tops the income of a single person up to £163 per week and £248 for a couple.

Does the 248 apply simply if you're married or is that two lots together one being for a wife who has not paid NI contributions?

I'm sure you know why I'm asking.

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, overherebc said:
Does the 248 apply simply if you're married or is that two lots together one being for a wife who has not paid NI contributions?

I thought you had to prove you earn over £18k in order to take a Thai wife back?

That's only one option.

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

According to this website, the £248 for couples is for married, civil partnerships or simply cohabiting.  Whether the fact that your wife is not a British Citizen affects that I know not.  I very much doubt that your wife, if she's not British could claim seperately in any case because she would be barred from claiming any state benefits initially. That used to be for the first 2 years after arriving but could be longer now.

https://www.independentage.org/information/money/benefits/pension-credit?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz8_mqPb_2wIVqp3tCh1PowalEAAYASAAEgI3J_D_BwE

You can get help and advice from the above or there is another group who were very helpful to a mate of mine:

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

Sorry, that's as much as I know but all this information is available online.

10 years NI contributions needed for Pension and I think also unemployment benefit but what about access to NHS - no minimum or is that also 10 year (or maybe will be something like that in future - something like that being mooted?)

9 hours ago, mokwit said:

10 years NI contributions needed for Pension and I think also unemployment benefit but what about access to NHS - no minimum or is that also 10 year (or maybe will be something like that in future - something like that being mooted?)

Unemployment benefit is now called Jobseekers Allowance, and how much you get, whether it is contribution based or means tested depends on a variety of factors; see here. Ex pats returning to the UK are not entitled to JSA in most circumstances, but there are other public funds they may be entitled to. Non EEA immigrants are entitled to contribution based JSA, if they've paid the right number of contributions for the right amount of time, but are not entitled to any means tested benefits until they have ILR or the equivalent.

Access to the NHS is not contribution dependent. Anyone who is a UK resident is entitled to access NHS treatment; although non EEA immigrants have to pay the NHS surcharge to cover them until they have Indefinite Leave to Remain or the equivalent. Returning British expats need to show that they have indeed returned to resume residence, not just to get free NHS treatment before leaving the UK to live abroad again.

Note that my remarks concerning EEA nationals reflect the current position; how that will change after Brexit, and what the position of British nationals resident in EEA member states will be, we will have to wait and see.

Just now, fcgprg said:

You need to register on the Government gateway, then you can find out all you need to know.it is easy to do.

Thanks for that advice. I did, and was pleasantly surprised with both the estimate and how easy it was to do.

On 6/23/2018 at 2:13 PM, 7by7 said:

You can check your National Insurance Contribution record and how this will effect your pension at Check your State Pension.

If you don't already have one or the other you will need to set up either a Government Gateway account or a GOV.UK Verify account first.

There is one little thing I don't understand with the NI contribution record. 

On the left, it lists the record year by year, saying "full year" or "year is not full".

On the right side, under the summary, it simply says the number of full years, years to contribute and years when you did not contribute enough. Here is the thing, the two sides don't match!!

On the right, under the summary, I have 3 more years than the sum of the full years on the left. I have to say, the left side seems to be correct, but why on Earth would they add another three full years under the summary?

Note that I have checked this with 2 of my mates and both of them have the same thing meaning 3 more full years on the right. Any ideas?